VMworld

JLogan3o13

• Moderators

For anyone in this business space that might be planning on going to San Francisco the week of August 28th, I'll be there doing a bit on NexGen storage arrays and response times for Virtual Desktop loads. Pretty nifty booth this year...

booth.thumb.png.ecb3770439a10cfebcd5f9b3

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

Sooo, I ran tests on the new NexGen SAN for VDI loads, vs. the old EMC SAN, about 40% slower :D

Not sure how they expect me to sell this at the conference.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

• Moderators

Come to find out, NexGen only supports iSCSI connectivity, whereas our old EMC used direct disk access over fiber channel. So, even though everything VDI runs in flash, it still can't compare with the throughput. About the only thing I guess I could do is move all the iSCSI traffic to jumbo frames, but I doubt even that would have much of an effect. Supposedly fiber channel is on their roadmap for 2016.

That's actually pretty interesting EMC is so fast. I'd love to know more but I am close to being physically as far away from that site as is possible, so I pass.

We're actually experimenting with Scale.IO and it's a ton faster compared to what we had before to run our VM's.

Edited by Manadar

• Moderators

Again, I am not a storage guy, I just happen to administer this client's VDI environment and they just purchased the NexGen SAN. The big one I have yet to try is VMware's own vSAN. I have had to beat my VMware contacts off me with a stick lately, they've been so aggressive trying to get me to try it. I haven't heard any real-world experiences yet though; hoping to hear some at VMWorld.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Leaving tomorrow for VMWorld, I'm flying Flint, Michigan to Vegas to San Francisco. Ass-backwards flight plan, but can't complain about free I guess :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Caution, word-wall ahead:

Conference thoughts

The conference was great, a definite must-attend for anyone who works in the virtualization space (server or client). The theme was "Ready For Any"; VMware is pushing their ability to deliver any app, to any device, anywhere. More and more the push is away from the desktop. I must have heard over 100 times: "Who cares HOW you get to the apps, as long as you can GET to them?!"

Whereas in the past it has been all about presenting a true virtual desktop to an end user, it is now all about presenting a web based portal that gives the user the choice between a full desktop or any of their apps - be it a desktop app or a web app. The user can then get to that portal how they want: Tablet, Phone, Grandma's PC, etc. They even showed a new dockable tablet that connects to the dashboard of your car to handle the car's HUD. Then when you park it detaches and becomes your work device. And, as everything is in the cloud, a lost or stolen device is simply a $100 write-off for the company, not the blood pressure raising race to remotely wipe sensitive data.

What I liked probably the most was the containerization. On an employee-owned tablet I can give them their portal for applications, which I lock down to my specifications. The can open a spreadsheet, for example, and manipulate it as they want: email it, mark it up, etc. It will prevent them, however, from emailing it from or to a personal account, from copying and pasting, even from taking a screen shot of the document. And nothing is saved on the device; so if the user leaves the company there are no concerns about information walking away with them.

All in all, a lot is going to be changing in the next couple of months for anyone who uses virtualization to support clients. One of my larger customers currently spends just shy of $1200 per laptop when you factor in the docking station, an extra monitor for the home office, etc. Then factor in the cost of applying an OS image, packaging and redistributing applications, A/V, two-factor, encryption, etc. etc. etc., the costs are outrageous. This model presented at the conference (understanding there will be costs involved in implementing) with the ability to hand the employee a $300 ChromeBook and say "if you lose it, we'll ship you another" would be an awesome win for them.

General meandering complaints about the venue - 

VMWorld was great, but I'd forgotten how much I dislike San Francisco (no offense to any locals). Lots of homeless, and very aggressive. Had several of them follow me down the street, screaming at me because I did not give them money. I saw a number of people relieving themselves in the streets in full view of police; when I asked, I received just a shrug and a vague mention of "very liberal" laws regarding homeless in the city.

Also, I had forgotten how aggressive the LGBT element is in the city. Let me preface by saying I have no issues with people of any lifestyle, but S.F. more than most city's has a feeling of trying to be "in your face" about it. I traveled to the conference with a co-worker, who is a good 8" taller than I and a good bit heavier. Not only did we continually have to explain to people that we were not "together together" (really annoying checking in and being asked if we would like a suite together rather than separate rooms), but apparently the consensus was "the little one's the wife" :). It took me almost the entire week to realize why restaurant staff kept holding my chair out for me.