Were microsoft lying?

JohnOne

In many reports I read, including from microsoft website, I was led to believe that non genuine or "pirated" copies of windows 7 would still be upgraded to windows 10 but remain in their non genuine state.

However it has not been the case when I tried it, during the install I am asked to enter a product key.

It makes me wonder if they simply lied to fool non genuine users.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Looks to me then that is might not have been an outright lie, just some deliberate misleading information.

No sweat, was just for my VM.

EDIT: for the record, I just put in a key I found and it has gone past the key screen and is checking for updates.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Everything I read said that only genuine and up to date installs of Win7 would be offered to upgrade to 10 for free.

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

• Administrators

There were articles about offering the Chinese free upgrades, even for non-genuine. I don't know if this is still the case or if this article was the source of all the misunderstandings.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/18/us-microsoft-china-idUSKBN0ME06A20150318

• Moderators

honestly,  would do them well to allow everyone an upgrade pirated or not. In the end,  you want people on your platform,  so you can offer them your other services and products. 

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!