Determining size of attachment from .eml files (Multiple attachments/hashed/coded)

Hello,

I am trying to determine the size of attachments from .eml files. The scenario is that I have thousands of emails in .eml file type and need to determine the size of the attachment in some of the emails. I have already determined the number of emails in which there are attachments and the number of attachments per email. Also, emails without attachments.

Can anyone shed some light on how i can go about this? BTW, the attachments are now hashed/coded? I don't know how you call it but its just a bunch of characters.

File attached is a sample email.

Regards, 

ivan

sample.eml

Edited by ivananonymous

Which program do you use to read the mails - Outlook?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Outlook would be easy because my OutlookEX UDF has a function to do this: _OL_ItemAttachmentGet.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I would definitely go with water's suggestion and find a program or library to do it. Doesn't have to be Outlook. There are a number of ways to include attachments and I'm not sure how reliable of a program you're going to get if you make a bunch of assumptions here. 

Just in case you want to do it anyway. First get this part:

boundary="----=_Part_75_17152415.1274866451564"

Use that to split the content in the file to get this:

Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="canada plane.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: INLINE; filename="canada plane.jpg"

/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wBDAAYEBQYFBAYGBQYHBwYIChAKCgkJChQODwwQFxQYGBcU
FhYaHSUfGhsjHBYWICwgIyYnKSopGR8tMC0oMCUoKSj/2wBDAQcHBwoIChMKChMoGhYaKCgoKCgo
KCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCj/wAARCAGrAoADASIA
AhEBAxEB/8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQEAAAAAAAAAAAECAwQFBgcICQoL/8QAtRAAAgEDAwIEAwUFBAQA

If you can reasonable assume base64, you can discard the header so you are left with this:

/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wBDAAYEBQYFBAYGBQYHBwYIChAKCgkJChQODwwQFxQYGBcU
FhYaHSUfGhsjHBYWICwgIyYnKSopGR8tMC0oMCUoKSj/2wBDAQcHBwoIChMKChMoGhYaKCgoKCgo
KCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCj/wAARCAGrAoADASIA

Either decode that with base64 decoding and count the number of bytes in the output or guesstimate based on the length of the base64 string if that's good enough.

You could try with CDO. It would be something like this

$sEML = "sample.eml"
$sAttachment = "canada plane.jpg"

$iSize = GetAttachmentSize($sEML, $sAttachment)

If @error Then
    $sErrDesc = "You can't use this method because "
    Switch @error
        Case 1
            $sErrDesc &= "CDO sucks for you."
        Case 2
            $sErrDesc &= "getting stream failed."
        Case 3
            $sErrDesc &= "loading EML failed."
        Case 4
            $sErrDesc &= "of some dumb error."
        Case 5
            $sErrDesc = "No such attachment exists."
    EndSwitch
    MsgBox(4096, "Error", $sErrDesc & @CRLF)
Else
    MsgBox(4096, "...", 'Attachment named "' & $sAttachment & '" is ' & $iSize & " bytes big" & @CRLF)
EndIf

Func GetAttachmentSize($sEMLPath, $sAttachmentName)
    Local $oErrHandler = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", GetAttachmentSize) ; Red Jon fucked up COM

Local $oMessage = ObjCreate("{CD000001-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D}") ; with all the downsides
    If @error Then Return SetError(1, 0, -1)

Local $oMessageStream = $oMessage.GetStream()
    If @error Then Return SetError(2, 0, -1)

$oMessageStream.LoadFromFile($sEMLPath)
    If @error Then Return SetError(3, 0, -1)

$oMessageStream.Flush() ; this is essential

Local $iSize
    For $oAttachment In $oMessage.Attachments
        If $oAttachment.FileName = $sAttachmentName Then $iSize = $oAttachment.GetDecodedContentStream().Size
        If @error Then Return SetError(4, 0, -1)
        If $iSize Then Return $iSize
    Next

Return SetError(5, 0, -1)
EndFunc

If you want the size of all attachments then just add up to $iSize inside the loop and remove second parameter.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

• 2 weeks later...

Try this:

$sAttachmentFileName = $oAttachment.GetDecodedContentStream().FileName
$oAttachment.SaveToFile(@ScriptDir & "\"& $sAttachmentFileName)

or

Func SaveAttachment($sEMLPath, $sAttachmentName)
    Local $oErrHandler = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", GetAttachmentSize) ; Red Jon fucked up COM

Local $oMessage = ObjCreate("{CD000001-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D}") ; with all the downsides

Local $iSize
        If $oAttachment.FileName = $sAttachmentName Then $oAttachment.SaveToFile(@ScriptDir & "\" & $sAttachmentName)
        If @error Then
            Return SetError(4, 0, -1)
        Else
            Return SetError(0, 0, 1)
        EndIf
    Next

EndFunc   ;==>SaveAttachment

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

and some other stuff:

#include "array.au3"

Local $sEMLPath = "EMAIL.eml"
$sAttachment = "image.jpg"

Local $aAttachments = GetAttachmentList($sEMLPath)
_ArrayDisplay($aAttachments)

Func GetAttachmentList($sEMLPath)

Local $sAttachments = ''
        $sAttachments &= $oAttachment.FileName & '|'
    Next
    If $sAttachments <> '' Then
        StringTrimRight($sAttachments,1)
        Local $aAttachments = StringSplit($sAttachments,'|')
        Return SetError(0, 0, $aAttachments)
    Else
            Return SetError(4, 0, -1)
    EndIf

EndFunc   ;==>SaveAttachment

btw.

Good material for the new UDF.
If I find time, I'll do it.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Any Chance of deleting or replacing an attachment with autoit? Extracting attachments works, but I want to replace the attachment afterwards in the eml File (or at least delete them).

$oAttachment.Delete or $oAttachment.Delete() won't work - found the .delte function on an MS Page about the Message CDO and thought I might try it, but had no luck...

Thanks in advance!

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I get the attachments Count (+ 1, think this is the email itself) via $oMessage.BodyPart.BodyParts.Count, but I don't manage to delete the attachment as the delete function takes another parameter (number or reference - might be able to work with number once I figure out if the mail itself is the first or last object) and actually save the eml file.

On the other side I seem to be able to $oMessage.AddAttachment(@ScriptDir & "\1.pdf") (at least I don't get an error) - but https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms526130(v=exchg.10).aspx doesn't show a save method to write the .eml with the new attachment to disk?

Edit2: Deleting seems to work, but I can't get the File to Save :(

ConsoleWrite($oMessage.BodyPart.BodyParts.Count & @CRLF)
    $oMessage.BodyPart.BodyParts.Delete(2)
    $oMessage.AddAttachment(@ScriptDir & "\1.pdf")

shows 3 in the first line and 2 in the second line, so Item 2 is deleted and 3 on the last line so the 1.pdf file is added

Edit3:

Nevermind... after taking a quick nap I found the reason I can't seem to save - I forgot to get the stream after chaning the Object... After manipulating the Attachments this works

$oMessageStream = $oMessage.GetStream()
$oMessageStream.SaveToFile(@ScriptDir & "\new.eml")

Edited by AIstarter

Would it be sensible to create a CDO UDF similar to - lets say - the OutlookEX UDF?
How many users would use it?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

On 20.08.2015 at 9:41 AM, mLipok said:

Good material for the new UDF.
If I find time, I'll do it.

@water  I also be happy :)

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Ops, seems I missed that :>

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

So if you have some spare time, I'll be really very happy if you start ....

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I started to read about CDO and am no longer sure it is a good idea to spend time creating a CDO UDF.

Which features would people expect from a CDO UDF?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I was thinking about using it together with POP3ex.au3 UDF (when you get emails you should be able to parse them).

But on the other side after deliberation I'm also thinking about buying Chilkat component, and for that I'm not so hurry to have CDO UDF for handling EML files.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler