Intel 4000 HD Win10 Driver Brightness Issues

Mat

Windows 10 is pretty nice, most of the features I'd already see on the beta/pre-release program but it's nice to see it all working properly.

I've got an issue with my graphics though (intel 4000 HD in a dell vostro). Using the latest intel (10.18.10.4252) and dell drivers(10.18.10.4242) I can't adjust the screen brightness. Using the microsoft basic display driver I get the controls to adjust it, but they don't actually change anything. A lot of people online said the older drivers (10.18.10.3262) worked, so I tried that as well, but no luck there either. I'm about to try 10.18.10.3277 as well, which I think is just an update to the win8.1 drivers I had tried before.

Anyway. Really strange that nothing works at all. I was expecting the MS basic display driver to at least work and be slow.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'll be happy to hear them. Right now my solution is wearing sunglasses.

Matt

I hope they get things straightened out soon. I've been having some issues as well that I'm waiting quite impatiently for a fix for.

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

I've had this problem in the past and ended up building this https://github.com/jvanegmond/mlux/blob/v0.2/Mlux.Lib/Display/Monitor.cs#L35

do you have a compiled version of that?

I have a machine at work that is always dim and ive tried everything i can think off to sort it.

Would that be able to do that?

ps ive no idea what type of code it is

Hi Manadar, I'm getting a "Not Supported" exception, so exactly the same as other methods of setting. 

Chimaera, attached is my test exe, which is just a console that prints the brightness and allows you to set it. Code is Manadar's class, plus:

using System;
using Mlux.Lib.Display;

namespace ScreenBrightness
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            Monitor m = new Monitor();

string s;
            byte n;
            while (true)
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Brightness: {0}", m.GetBrightness());
                Console.Write("New Value: ");
                s = Console.ReadLine();

try
                {
                    n = byte.Parse(s);
                    m.SetBrightness(n);
                }
                catch (Exception e)
                {
                    Console.WriteLine(e.Message);
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

ScreenBrightness.exe

I considered that, but it sounds a bit risky so I haven't tried it yet. I went as far as uninstalling all the drivers (incl. the dedicated graphics) so I was left with just the MS basic driver, but the problem was I couldn't test like that because it would always re-install the AMD drivers (or a version of them anyway) and switch to that.

Build: 10240
Arch: X64

Laptop: Lenovo T430
Graphics: Intel HD 4000
Driver Version: 10.18.10.4252

Brightness works perfect on my rig. I only mentioned that, because we're running the same graphics and OS. I wonder if it's a Function-key driver? Have you tried adjusting the brightness via this method?
http://screencast.com/t/RNAS184w0j

I'm not sure this would help, but I could use one of those driver backup programs and send you my driver. If you think that'd be worth anything.

Two last thoughts....
1.) I've seen a damaged inverter cause the brightness to be stuck at a specific level.
2.) My Laptop brightness controls work in BIOS options, which is completely oblivious to a Windows driver. - Just food for thought.

Edited by BinaryBrother
added last half of post and changed "backlight" to "inverter".

SIGNATURE_0X800007D NOT FOUND

Thanks BinaryBrother,

I've tried switching via all the windows methods (that I'm aware of), as well as WMI using Manadar's code above. I can't imagine there'd be any difference in the actual intel driver of the same version between different manufacturers, but thanks for the offer.

I've given up looking into this, as it's probably going to sort itself out soon enough so it's not worth me putting time into when I don't really use my laptop late at night at the moment.

Last thoughts are interesting. It's too much of a coincidence that it stopped working exactly after the win10 upgrade for me to think it's a hardware issue, but it's not impossible. I'll see what happens in my bios screens too. Not something I've ever tried before.

@Mat i tried that code but the machine in question is already at 100 so for me its a hardware problem, ill have to strip it down later when i get time

Thanks for sharing

.... I'll see what happens in my bios screens too. Not something I've ever tried before.

You figure things like this out trying to see if your custom flash gave you any new BIOS options, but it's 4AM and the ole' lady doesn't appreciate that neon-blue screen lighting up the entire room! *Let me see if my brightness controls work in BIOS! :lmao:    Check - Nobody has to die today. lol

SIGNATURE_0X800007D NOT FOUND

• 8 months later...

@Mat Any chance you found a solution to this? I've tried just about everything I could find on every forum, and I have the same issues.  I even tried the crazy (?) step mentioned here <http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cannot-adjust-brightness-in-win-10-samsung-laptop/3409782e-f867-4b2a-ab7e-d8e2405e702e> and edited my registry - although it worked for others, it did not work for me.  I'm on a Samsung Series 9 notebook, so presumably this is a driver issue between Intel and Windows alone.

I work a lot at night, so sunglasses might need to be my temporary fix here too! B)