Retrieve the name of the window that is on top

Hi everybody, 

As I explained in a previous topic, I'm trying to make a program that will be a Window with a text input field.

If I write "chrome" and press enter in that field, it should open chrome.exe

What I'm trying to do is to check when the window of Chrome is on top of screen. 

I used pixelsearch, but I find it really inadequate.

Is there a way to mess around with WinAPI.au3 to retrieve the name of the current top window ? 

Thanks by advance.

Have a look at:

WinList

Snips & Scripts

My Snips: graphCPUTemp ~ getENVvars
My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ

If you could help me with WinList, that'd be cool :) 

I'm trying to understand the function, and I don't two things : 

I don't achieve to interprete " For $i = 1 To $aList[0][0] " 

I understand this as it was a cursor that went from the last window to the first ($aList[0][0] if I understand correctly) 

With the example I achieve to get the name of all the windows open on my computer, but if I just write MsgBox (0, "", "Title : " & $aList[1][0]), I have no value shown :( 

And I don't get why yet.

The second problem is linked to the fist, I need to know how to get only the first title of the array that WinList make for me :) 

Thanks in advance :)

It's hard to help when you lack basic understanding. You can expect expect people to start re-hashing tutorials on something that you yourself should read about e.g. arrays, loops etc. My suggestion, get the fundamentals understood and then start building something.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Winlist lists all windows including these without a title
Example #1 in the helpfile shows exactly how to get "only visible windows with a title"
Then you could use it like this

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Local $aList = WinList()

; Loop through the array displaying only visible windows with a title.
For $i = 1 To $aList[0][0]
     If $aList[$i][0] <> "" And BitAND(WinGetState($aList[$i][1]), 2) Then
             $title = $aList[$i][0]
             $handle = $aList[$i][1]
             Exitloop
     EndIf
Next
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Title: " & $title & @CRLF & "Handle: " & $handle)

WinWaitActive ?

I tried it, and works like a charm. 

But I find the WinList() option more fun to apply, atleast it learns me some things about programmation :P 

At the moment, I wrote this : 

$x = 0
 global $array[1]

For $i = 1 To $aList [0][0]

If $aList[$i][0] <> "" And BitAND(WinGetState($aList[$i][1]), 2) Then
         MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Title: " & $aList [$i][0] & @CRLF)
         $array[$x] = $aList[$i][0]
         $x = $x+1
         ReDim $value[UBound($array) + 1]
    EndIf
Next

ReDim $array[UBound($array) - 1]

_ArrayDisplay ($array)

And I get an array with only windows that have a title.

I'm trying to get the first row of the array, I've not looked for it yet, don't spoil me :P 

Edited by trynhyty

As usual, thanks MikahS :P 

By the way, I finally made a function to erase last char in my historic txtfile, works like a charm, thank you :)

My pleasure, as always. ^_^

Glad you got a solution figured out to your other problem as well!

Snips & Scripts

My Snips: graphCPUTemp ~ getENVvars
My Scripts: Short-Order Encrypter - message and file encryption V1.6.1 ~ AuPad - Notepad written entirely in AutoIt V1.9.4

Feel free to use any of my code for your own use.                                                                                                                                                           Forum FAQ