WIndows upgraded to WIn 10 showing @OSVersion incorrectly

Just been doing some testing at work on the Windows 10 display laptops upgraded from Win 8.1 as i was searching for a way to trigger the windows updte section from our gui that we use.

Since 10 arrived using 

ShellExecuteWait('wuapp.exe')

doesnt work as they have altered windows updates internally

So i came up with this which works from Run

ms-settings:windowsupdate

So i amended my script like so

Case $T2WinUpdatesButton
                If $OS = 'V-' Then
                    ShellExecuteWait('wuauclt.exe') ; XP WinUpdates
                    Sleep(20)
                Else
                    If @OSVersion = 'WIN_10' Then
                        Run('ms-settings:windowsupdate') ; Windows 10
                    Else
                        ShellExecuteWait('wuapp.exe') ; Vista up to 8.1
                        Sleep(20)
                    EndIf
                EndIf

Func _OsDetect()
    Local $OS = 'V+'
    If @OSVersion = 'WIN_2000' Or @OSVersion = 'WIN_2003' Or @OSVersion = 'WIN_XP' Or @OSVersion = 'WIN_XPe' Then
        $OS = 'V-'
    EndIf
;~ ConsoleWrite($OS & @CRLF)
    Return $OS
EndFunc   ;==>_OsDetect

Except it doesnt work so i did some digging around and discovered that the @OSVersion for a windows 10 upgraded machine is still WIN_81 not WIN_10 as it should be.

Any suggestions on how to get this working?

Try using @OSBuild instead of @OSVersion

Case $T2WinUpdatesButton
                If $OS = 'V-' Then
                    Sleep(20)
                Else
                    If Case $T2WinUpdatesButton
                If $OS = 'V-' Then
                    Sleep(20)
                Else
                    If @OSBuild >= 1234 Then
                    Else
                        Sleep(20)
                    EndIf
                EndIf

Func _OsDetect()
    Local $OS = 'V+'
    If @OSVersion = 'WIN_2000' Or @OSVersion = 'WIN_2003' Or @OSVersion = 'WIN_XP' Or @OSVersion = 'WIN_XPe' Then
        $OS = 'V-'
    EndIf
    Return $OS
EndFunc   ;==>_OsDetect = 'WIN_10' Then
                    Else
                        Sleep(20)
                    EndIf
                EndIf

Func _OsDetect()
    Local $OS = 'V+'
        $OS = 'V-'
    EndIf
    Return $OS
EndFunc   ;==>_OsDetect

Remember to replace 1234 with the build no. of Windows 10, TD :)

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

I'm currently trying to narrow  this down

I've reinstalled AutoIt and Scite just to be sure

My main large script compiled shows WIN_81 but a test script with nothing in it but the check shows WIN_10 so ive got to find out what's causing the weirdness, i don't use pragma at all in any of my scripts.

If i find what is the problem ill report back

Have you tried downloading the latest AutoItWrapper (beta most preferably)? Maybe you ResHacker to grab the manifest file and post here.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

no m8 ive already done that, im talking about the folder on the web where all the beta stuff resides, it used to be on the top menu as a link before the upgrade

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/downloads/ - Big red button, can't miss it.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/downloads/ - Big red button, can't miss it.

Thats the one why is the big red button not available on the forum menus at top?

Ok i've installed the beta etc

Main script compiled Normal or Beta shows WIN_81 4000 lines approx and accessed like this

Case $T2WinUpdatesButton
                MsgBox(64, 'OS Check', @OSVersion)
                If $OS = 'V-' Then
                    Sleep(20)
                Else
                        ShellExecute('ms-settings:windowsupdate')
                    Else
                        ShellExecuteWait('wuapp.exe') ; Vista and above WinUpdates
                        Sleep(20)
                    EndIf
                EndIf

And fails with wuapp.exe cannot be found error because its changed in win 10

This script compiled Normal or Beta shows WIN_10

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_res_requestedExecutionLevel=requireAdministrator
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AutoIt Version: 3.3.10.2
    Author:         Chimaera
    Script Function: No Resize GUI
#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
; ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;~ #RequireAdmin
; ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Global $OS

$GUI_Start = GUICreate("No Resize GUI", 500, 500, -1, -1, BitXOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_GUI, $WS_MINIMIZEBOX))
    Local $ButtonTest = GUICtrlCreateButton('Test', 60, 287, 145, 145)

GUISetState()

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $ButtonTest
                If $OS = 'V-' Then
                    Sleep(20)
                Else
                        ShellExecute('ms-settings:windowsupdate')
                    Else
                        ShellExecuteWait('wuapp.exe') ; Vista and above WinUpdates
                        Sleep(20)
                    EndIf
                EndIf
;~      Case

EndSwitch
WEnd

Func _OsDetect()
    Local $OS = 'V+'
        $OS = 'V-'
    EndIf
    Return $OS
EndFunc   ;==>_OsDetect

I may have to pull apart the big script to find whats causing this

Im assuming that the osversion doesn't depend on any other scripts that are included with autoit

@OSVersion is script agnostic. It only pulls the version number from the OS using a particular Windows API. So if you're running in "compatibility" mode, then the API will return the version you have specified to run as.

UDF List:

No its a standard windows 8.1 brand new laptop upgraded to windows 10 straight out the box

I just put

right at the top of my big script before anything else and it shows WIN_81 and thats before anything else loads so i dont know what to say with that.

Im going to have to remake it one piece at a time until i find the problem, leave it with me

I understand, but are you familiar with compatibility mode for executables? I suspect your manifest file is set to run the executable as though it's on Windows 8.1 and not 10, which is why @OSVersion shows 8.1. This is why I have asked you to use the likes of ResHacker to grab the manifest file to see if it is exclusively set to run in 8.1. There was a bug in AutoItWrapper whereby it was set to 8.1, but Jos updated this, hence why you should re-download the beta of S4A3 OR just compile with Au2Exe directly. Have you tried that? Instead compiling that MsgBox snippet, head straight to Au2Exe (or whatever it's called)

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

• Developers

Just run the script you shown from SciTE and show me all the SciTE console output so we can see what is happening.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I understand, but are you familiar with compatibility mode for executables? I suspect your manifest file is set to run the executable as though it's on Windows 8.1 and not 10, which is why @OSVersion shows 8.1. This is why I have asked you to use the likes of ResHacker to grab the manifest file to see if it is exclusively set to run in 8.1. There was a bug in AutoItWrapper whereby it was set to 8.1, but Jos updated this, hence why you should re-download the beta of S4A3 OR just compile with Au2Exe directly. Have you tried that? Instead compiling that MsgBox snippet, head straight to Au2Exe (or whatever it's called)

Im not familar with manifest files are they part of AutoIt? never used Reshacker either

So are we saying ive saved my exe with some kind of error?

Just run the script you shown from SciTE and show me all the SciTE console output so we can see what is happening.

Jos

Here you go

Weird thing i copied all my install to guinness AutoIt Portable and ran it as you can see below and all tests came back WIN_10 so i must have a faulty file somewhere

even though i reinstalled Autoit /Scite and Beta fresh today

Large script beta
>"F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /beta /ErrorStdOut /in "F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\##  TS Toolz 2015v1.au3" /UserParams    
+>16:02:25 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.15.729.1555.1 SciTE v.3.5.4.0   Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_10/  CPU:X64 OS:X64    Environment(Language:0809)
+>         SciTEDir => F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE   UserDir => F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper
>Running AU3Check (3.3.15.0)  params:-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w- 4 -w 5 -w 6 -w- 7  from:F:\AutoIt Portable\App\Beta  input:F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\##  TS Toolz 2015v1.au3
+>16:02:28 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.15.0):F:\AutoIt Portable\App\Beta\autoit3_x64.exe "F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\##  TS Toolz 2015v1.au3"    
--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
+>16:03:41 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>16:03:41 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 79.27
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
small test script beta
>"F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /beta /ErrorStdOut /in "F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\Toolz\Win Updates including 10\test2.au3" /UserParams    
+>16:05:09 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.15.729.1555.1 SciTE v.3.5.4.0   Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_10/  CPU:X64 OS:X64    Environment(Language:0809)
+>         SciTEDir => F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE   UserDir => F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper
>Running AU3Check (3.3.15.0)  from:F:\AutoIt Portable\App\Beta  input:F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\Toolz\Win Updates including 10\test2.au3
+>16:05:09 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.15.0):F:\AutoIt Portable\App\Beta\autoit3_x64.exe "F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\Toolz\Win Updates including 10\test2.au3"    
+>16:05:15 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>16:05:15 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 7.388

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
large script non beta
>"F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\##  TS Toolz 2015v1.au3" /UserParams    
+>16:07:30 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.15.729.1555.1 SciTE v.3.5.4.0   Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_10/  CPU:X64 OS:X64    Environment(Language:0809)
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.1)  params:-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w- 4 -w 5 -w 6 -w- 7  from:F:\AutoIt Portable\App  input:F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\##  TS Toolz 2015v1.au3
+>16:07:34 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.14.1):F:\AutoIt Portable\App\autoit3_x64.exe "F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\##  TS Toolz 2015v1.au3"    
+>16:07:54 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>16:07:54 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 24.57

small script non beta
>"F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "F:\AutoIt Portable\App\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\Toolz\Win Updates including 10\test2.au3" /UserParams    
+>16:06:32 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.15.729.1555.1 SciTE v.3.5.4.0   Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_10/  CPU:X64 OS:X64    Environment(Language:0809)
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.1)  from:F:\AutoIt Portable\App  input:F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\Toolz\Win Updates including 10\test2.au3
+>16:06:33 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.14.1):F:\AutoIt Portable\App\autoit3_x64.exe "F:\#   Tailored\#  Tech Toolz Code\Toolz\Win Updates including 10\test2.au3"    
+>16:06:40 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>16:06:40 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 9.314