FileFindFirstFile Error -1

SenseSF2

So I Was trying to get over the Demo and i can't because I'm getting a MsgBox with -1 written on it, Constantly Looping Which i have to Force close with Task Manager.

$search = FileFindFirstFile("*.*")

If $search = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "", "Nope", 0)
    Exit
EndIf

While 1
    $file = FileFindFirstFile($search)
    If @error Then ExitLoop

MsgBox(4096, "File", $file)
WEnd

FileClose($search)

I Don't know what's wrong there, i basically Did everything that is on the Demo

Edit : Okay I Found the Mistake, While it was Looping it was Finding the First file instead of the Next one, Fixed and done, next Demo :P Post can be deleted(idk if i can ,if i do idk how T_T)

Edited by SenseSF2

Was this for fun or do you need to list files in a directory? If for fun, great; otherwise, we have a function in the UDFs (two actually) for this sort of thing!

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

As a fellow newbie I used FileFindFirstFile() and FileFineNextFile() in some of my first scripts (and still use those scripts) but when I got around to learning arrays and the FileListToArray() function I found it was much better to use and more flexible.

Just mentioning as maybe something you want to look into next as your learning. 

Not trying to be Funny at all

It's an expression, like were you playing around with the functions to understand how to use them? Perhaps I should have said that instead.

As a fellow newbie I used FileFindFirstFile() and FileFineNextFile() in some of my first scripts (and still use those scripts) but when I got around to learning arrays and the FileListToArray() function I found it was much better to use and more flexible.

Just mentioning as maybe something you want to look into next as your learning. 

Excellent!

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

It's an expression, like were you playing around with the functions to understand how to use them? Perhaps I should have said that instead.

Oh I'm sorry i feel dumb now xD well I Got through that, im on the GUIStartGroup part now, I'm Understood everything behind that, i just don't get what's the Case for, if anyone Could do a brief explanation :P 

Screenshot_1.jpg

The  Select...EndSelect (Switch is better) is to monitor when a message changes in the GUIGetMsg queue. If the message is equal to an exit i.e. selecting the red cross, then exit the application, again this should ideally be ExitLoop.

UDF List:

Switch/Case/EndSwitch is just a better way of doing a complex IF statement.

Say you wanted to use IF statements for a simple x= situation.

With Switch

$x = InputBox("Input Box", "Enter a Number from 1 to 3")

Switch $x
    Case 1 ;x = 1
        MsgBox(0, "", "You Entered #1 As your Answer") ;Action 1
        Run("Notepad.exe") ;Action 2
    Case 2 ;x=2
        MsgBox(0, "", "You Entered #2 As your Answer") ;Action 1
        Run("Calc.exe") ;Action 2
    Case 3 ;x=3
        MsgBox(0, "", "You Entered #3 As your Answer") ;Action 1
        Run("Cmd.exe") ;Action 2
EndSwitch

With IF

$x = InputBox("Input Box", "Enter a Number from 1 to 3")

If $x = 1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "", "You Entered #1 As your Answer") ;Action 1
    Run("Notepad.exe") ;Action 2
Else If $x = 2
    MsgBox(0, "", "You Entered #2 As your Answer") ;Action 1
    Run("Calc.exe") ;Action 2
Else If $x = 3
    MsgBox(0, "", "You Entered #3 As your Answer") ;Action 1
    Run("Cmd.exe") ;Action 2
EndIf

Switch is just easier to manage, especially when going back to make changes/additions.  Also I may be mistaken but I think it has less overhead because it does not need to check against each statement in the same manner that an If statement does.