Task Manager Grouping

Fade91

Hello Everyone! :)

Okay, this is a bit of an odd request and I don't even know if it is possible but here it goes. I know executable's can group child windows and related files...so it seems. Now I have a script that runs a few executable's and I want to group them in the Autoit executable in the task manager. Reason for this? Simply to remove clutter

task.png

An example would be: pretend Battle.net is our Autoit executable...When we expand it in the task manager we would see our executable file that Autoit launched.

[edited]

Might seem like a bit of a stretch but can I also get early access to the chat forum...would be interesting. Thanks

Edited by Fade91

• Moderators

First off, I am sure it was just an example, but references to games such as Battle.net usually throw all kinds of red flags around here. Be sure you are familiar with the rules, and have no intentions of asking game-related questions.

That said, what you're seeing is the threads and child processes linked to that process grouped by Windows. Since AutoIt is simply launching those external applications for you they are not really a child process of your script; I am not aware of any way you're going to get them all grouped together.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

You are correct, It was just an example. I do not intend to code for a game at all nor does what I am requesting benefit in game manipulation in anyway. I took a picture of my task manager and I just so happen to have it open.

I have read and understand the rules :)

Anyhow, I was wondering if there is some kind of way to trick windows into grouping or forcing them to group somehow?

[Edited]

Reason this is somewhat needed is because so far my script executes 3 separate programs so far and possibly will be up to 5 in total

Edited by Fade91

• Moderators

Again, we'll wait for someone smarter than I to wander by and contradict me but since the applications you're launching are not truly a sub-process of your main AutoIt process, I don't see you accomplishing this. As I said, though, maybe someone will prove me wrong :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

If however you are creating your own task manager, you can enumerate your applications children with the following code.

#include <Array.au3>
#include <WinAPIProc.au3>

$PID = Run("Notepad")

Local $aRes = _WinAPI_EnumChildProcess(@AutoItPID)

_ArrayDisplay($aRes, 'Children')

ProcessClose($PID)

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Thanks but im more so doing this for the task manager that comes with windows. This isn't exactly needed but id be really happy if it were possible :)

I know it seems like such a silly thing to request but it would actually be quite useful.