How to get the address to a variable?

autocart

AutoIt Does not support that. So  you can use structures.

Erm...please don't. This is for the Windows API only.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Erm...please don't. This is for the Windows API only.

I disagree.

Saludos

*sigh* Should have known this would happen. Thankfully other programming communities I belong to don't abuse the language.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

@johnOne I meant this

Local $t=DllStructCreate("int var1;int var2")
Local $pointervar1=DllStructGetPtr($t,1)
Local $pointervar2=DllStructGetPtr($t,2)

MsgBox(0,"",$pointervar1 & @CRLF & $pointervar2)

anyway I'm the noob here.

Saludos

*sigh* Should have known this would happen. Thankfully other programming communities I belong to don't abuse the language.

Most I belong to use functions to get there desired results, and I've never once heard of rules on how they can be used.

What an odd remark to make.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

yes you can ;)

Local $Structinfo = "char Name[25];int Age;char Country[25];Ptr AddressMemory"

Dim $ArryPerson[20]
For $i = 0 To 19
    $ArryPerson[$i] = DllStructCreate($Structinfo)
    DllStructSetData($ArryPerson[$i], "Name", "Mohamed " & $i)
    DllStructSetData($ArryPerson[$i], "Age", Random(15, 22, 1))
    DllStructSetData($ArryPerson[$i], "Country", "ALGERIA ")
Next

Local $temp = ""
For $i = 0 To 19
    $temp &= DllStructGetData($ArryPerson[$i], "Name") & " " & DllStructGetPtr($ArryPerson[$i], "Name") & " "
    $temp &= DllStructGetData($ArryPerson[$i], "Age") & " " & DllStructGetPtr($ArryPerson[$i], "Age") & " "
    $temp &= DllStructGetData($ArryPerson[$i], "Country") & " " & DllStructGetPtr($ArryPerson[$i], "Country") & " " & @CRLF
Next

MsgBox(0, 0, $temp)

@Celtic88.  As I said. AutoIt does not support that. I meant that you can use structure to simulate a C variable. so the answer to autocart's asking  is not.

Saludos

Ok, wow, thanks to everybody for all those answers while I was gone.

So, IF I did want to build a function or script in such a way that I definitely want to use the address of respectively pointer to a variable then I could declare that variable from the very beginning as part of a DllStruct (instead of a "normal" Autoit3-variable) and work with the "variable" inside the DllStruct like that and then use DllStructGetPtr to get and use the address to the "variable" inside the struct.

Is this correct, does it work and is it valid and allowed?

Besides that it is "abusing" the language and more clumsy to work with, are there any other real disadvantages?

Edited by autocart

Is this correct, does it work and is it valid and allowed?

Besides that it is "abusing" the language and more clumsy to work with, are there any other real disadvantages?

It works it's valid and it's allowed. It's not abusing the language but it is clearly more "clumsy" to work with, but I'm unaware of any other disadvantages, it might cost a little overhead in the function calls.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Moderators

autocart,

A couple of points:

- 1. guinness is quoting a highly-respected ex-developer of AutoIt who in his usual forthright manner counselled against using structs in this way. As he was very well aware of AutoIt's internal structure I believe that he would only have done this because he saw (possible) problems that would not be apparent to the normal user and as a result I for one do not believe that it something that should be done.

- 2. Why would you want to read/write the variable via its address in any event? If it is on your own code, what is wrong with using the "normal" methods?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

UDF List:

So why not say that in help file since 2012 :S.

I keep using Dllstructs to map file strcuture without using any API call.

Saludos

So why not say that in help file since 2012 :S.

I keep using Dllstructs to map file strcuture without using any API call.

Saludos

It does in some indirect way. By the way notice my reply to trancexx? I listened and took note as at the time she was the developer of AutoIt, so knows more about the core than you and I combined, unless you know about the internal workings of AutoIt?

UDF List:

- 2. Why would you want to read/write the variable via its address in any event? If it is on your own code, what is wrong with using the "normal" methods?

Thx M23, for your intput. I am trying to port some code from ahk to autoit3. I will try it differently and if it does not work then maybe I will try structs but I will see.

Guinness, you say all this without any understandable / weighty reason. Even in the link no reason is given and who, for crying out loud, is trancexx? He/She gives no real explaination either, exactly like you. M23, at least gives some more background info that seems to have some more importance and that I can understand a little bit. But to say it "is for the Windows API only" and no further explaination, this simply is not good enough. Thx for answering and keeping the thread going, though. At least it was entertaining.

anyway, it does not change the fact that in the end there is no real explaination. I would always ask why. But as I said, I'll see if I can do it differently first.

I will ignore you previous sarcastic comment and answer this one. Why should I explain when it's obvious? It's like asking me to explain why a hammer shouldn't be used as a saw.

Edited by guinness
Fixed typo and tone

UDF List: