Move Steam Window

I am trying to move the main window of Steam and I keep getting nowhere. The script executes and a brief flash of Steam appears (no errors occur) and the Steam window is still in the same spot on the screen. Is there some trick behind this? B)

Code:

WinActivate("STEAM", "")

WinMove("STEAM", "", 0, 0)

I am trying to move the main window of Steam and I keep getting nowhere. The script executes and a brief flash of Steam appears (no errors occur) and the Steam window is still in the same spot on the screen. Is there some trick behind this? B)

Code:

WinActivate("STEAM", "")

WinMove("STEAM", "", 0, 0)

Sounds like it can't find the STEAM window.

Try this for a test.

$WindowName = "STEAM"
$WindowPresent = winexists($WindowName)
If $WindowPresent = 1 then
WinActivate($WindowName)
WinMove($WindowName, "", 0, 0)
 Elseif $WindowPresent = 0 Then
 MsgBox(0,"Error","Cannot find " & $WindowName)
 EndIf

Try using AutoIt Window Info to get the correct name of the window.

I noticed that it is case sensitive, so pay attention to that.

Let me know if that helps.

edit:typo

Edited by blademonkey

---"Educate the Mind, Make Savage the Body" -Mao Tse Tung

Steam is all caps in the title...good catch.

I tried your code and I received the same response - a brief flash of the Steam window in the top left corner and the Steam window stays in the original spot.

Wow, you're so right. I just tried it on my laptop and it does the same thing.

how odd, it feels like it's on purpose, as is STEAM does not want to be moved by way of script.

• Moderators

Maybe its internal coding is overriding yours... Just a thought. I know I have made a GUI that won't let you resize it / set it on top / or move it.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Well then, maybe there's an "easier" way.....

My ultimate purpose is to create an update tool for Steam.

Instead of moving the window, can I have the mouse look for text within the Steam window and click on it?

I would like it to click on the My Games tab and then click on Counter Strike: Source.

But the catch is that the Steam window may be anywhere on the screen and not in a specific spot.

Is this possible?

Well then, maybe there's an "easier" way.....

My ultimate purpose is to create an update tool for Steam.

Instead of moving the window, can I have the mouse look for text within the Steam window and click on it?

I would like it to click on the My Games tab and then click on Counter Strike: Source.

But the catch is that the Steam window may be anywhere on the screen and not in a specific spot.

Is this possible?

Are you just trying to make a shortcut to CS? Why do you want it to runexplicitly through the steam browser?

You can create a desktop shortcut for any Steam game by right-clicking it from the STEAM browser and selecting "Create Desktop Shortcut". If Steam it not running, it will start it. if it is running it will go into CS.

Cheers.

Basically, I have over 1,000 PCs that I need to update Steam on. An older version of Steam is on most of them as well. I need to update Steam on these PCs overnight all unattended.

Unfortunately, the commmand line options do not help me in this situation. B)

I need a script that will:

1)Execute Steam from C:\Games\Steam

2)Wait until it gets to the main Steam screen

3)Say no to any surveys

4)Launch a game in the list so that they may update themselves

5)Clear any old driver warnings

6)Close the game and move on to the next for updating

7)Continue until all games have been updated

8)Close Steam when above is all completed

I am hoping an autoit script will acomplish this....and I need help to complete it........A lot of help. :o

Edited by buymeapc

What I would recommend is posting what you have so far. Then asking for specific help in the direction you have above stated you would like to go.

Also this may or may not be needed depending, but starting a different topic with a more descriptive title for what you are now trying to accomplish might be a good idea.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)