CodeWars

guinness

Do you enjoy programming? Brain teasers? Then check out http://www.codewars.com/. I have been doing them since yesterday (in JS, C# and Java) and have to say it has been very enjoyable! =)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Administrators

Haha. The first question was to return a missing element from an array that should contain numbers 1 to 9. I did an obvious solution of checking 1 to 9 and then returning the first one that was missing. Then you see some of the better answers from other people. I loved this one:

using System.Linq;

public static class Kata
{
  public static int GetMissingElement(int[] superImportantArray)
  {
    return 45 - superImportantArray.Sum();
  }
}

I would never have looked at it that way.

• Moderators

I signed up a while back on the Java side, but haven't been back in a couple weeks now. I also like http://www.checkio.org/ . I found it as a fun coding site for the 12 yr old, but have to admit I enjoy it as much as he does :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Haha. The first question was to return a missing element from an array that should contain numbers 1 to 9. I did an obvious solution of checking 1 to 9 and then returning the first one that was missing. Then you see some of the better answers from other people. I loved this one:

using System.Linq;

public static class Kata
{
  public static int GetMissingElement(int[] superImportantArray)
  {
    return 45 - superImportantArray.Sum();
  }
}

I would never have looked at it that way.

I was the same. First one I did I made it all neat and tidy, following best practices in JS, then I saw the solutions after submitting and realised that it's about thinking way outside the box.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

• Administrators

Hahahah - just did all the if statements for checking if something was a leap year only to see the final top-rated solution:

return DateTime.IsLeapYear(year);

:imwithstupid:

Classic!

I did a JS max one (second kata I did) and the top result was...I did the basic loop for...of loop

function max(args) {
  return Math.max(...args);
 // ES2015
}

console.log(max([10, 20, 1, 9]));

But then it begs the questions, is using helper methods the whole point?

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I'm doing the C# ones too. I have seen some of the ugliest verbose hacks in other people their work (some guy named Jon?) and here I am writing best practices code without pause, putting forth my best behavior. I have become boring! Please send help!

Edit Me and guinness are allies. Go team AutoIt!

Edited by jvanegmond

Spent a few more hours doing these. They are a lot of fun.

I liked http://www.codewars.com/kata/55466989aeecab5aac00003e and http://www.codewars.com/kata/55251c0d2142d7b4ab000aef . They're good examples (kinda mathy) of the sort of questions you can expect right after the beginner type of questions are completed. Not impossible but you don't immediately know the answer if you have not seen them before.

Edit Non mathy one http://www.codewars.com/kata/554ca54ffa7d91b236000023 are plenty too.

Edited by jvanegmond

Edit Me and guinness are allies. Go team AutoIt!

Yippee! Jon should join us too.

UDF List:

Doing the harder challenges. Blood sweet and tears went into 30 minutes into painstaking labor. I check other people their results after finally succeeding in my implementation:

using System;
using System.Linq;
using System.Collections.Generic;

public class Brace {

public static int cntr = 1;

public static bool validBraces(String braces) {

Console.WriteLine(cntr);

if(cntr == 4 || cntr == 5 || cntr == 6 || cntr == 7 || cntr == 11 || cntr == 12 || cntr == 14)
      {
        cntr++;
        return false;  
      }
        cntr++;
      return true;
    }
}

It's counting the number of unit tests done and which results it needs to return.

You might as well make it return true/false randomly and spam the Submit button.

2 honour points for this one >> http://www.codewars.com/kata/complex-csv-parser/ Argh!

UDF List:

2 honour points for this one >> http://www.codewars.com/kata/complex-csv-parser/ Argh!

How do you know how much honor points it gives?

I wrote my own CSV parser once in C# because we were getting so much weird data in "csv format" and had no good way to deal with it. I spent a day on a CSV parser and the rest of the week on detecting the actual format of the file. It was a nightmare but it solved the business problem beautifully once it was done.

I know because I completed it this evening. It passed the tests first time, but not the submission ones, on account of some weird ideas by the author of how a csv file should be formatted.

UDF List:

I know because I completed it this evening. It passed the tests first time, but not the submission ones, on account of some weird ideas by the author of how a csv file should be formatted.

Yeah I really don't like that the submission tests contain all these hidden requirements that are not in the given unit tests. You make a stellar implementation which passes all tests first time only to figure out you are solving completely the wrong problem based on 'hidden test' results.

Now what I like to do is if the question is unclear, make a method which prints its parameters and submit this to the final unit test stuff. I'm not sure that means I get less honor but at least it saves time.

It really is super annoying. I have been doing something similar to what you have been doing too.

UDF List: