My new desktop app: Stick-E-Notes

Travis

I started this project because of a simple little annoyance with Microsoft's own desktop notes application (Sticky Notes).

The little peeve was how it always stayed in the taskbar, one for each note! I find it cluttered my taskbar.

So I've worked on this for the past few hours, excuse me should  you encounter any issues as while I wrote this I was on prescription pain meds and sedatives. But hey, I'm having fun.

Would absolutely love it if anybody decides to check this out and discovers any bugs, everything seems to work fine so far, it's really fairly simple.

It is a project that has just begun and I am definitely not finished although I think I have the bulk of the functionality down.

What is left to do? Well, I want to make the interface a little prettier for one. I also want to add a Settings window and have various functionality settings that you could configure to your taste. I was thinking (for starts) the ability to resize the notes, to change fonts and text color, the ability to save notes. There's lots of things I wish to add, but I want a lot of these to be transparent in the sense that when you first open the application, it is not overly complicated. After all I intended to use it for myself to replace MS's sticky notes. But I would like to add a bunch more features should I or someone else be inclined to get that kind of functionality out of a simple notes application.

To run and build this properly, ensure that the two resource files are in the same directory as the script (icon and background bitmaps).

Ohh! A bug I have just noticed is that, when you open the first instance of this app  it will create a tray icon so that you can bring focus to the notes. Any instances opened after will not show this icon. However, if you close the first instance that created the tray icon before you close other instances, you lose the icon :-( oh well, I will get around to fixing that (when you read the script, I'm sure you will become aware there is a better/different way I could have implemented this, I'm not sure which direction I wish to go with that just yet).

trav1085_stickyenotes.zip

screencaps.png

Good stuff.  This reminded me of a script I started working on back in the day; I took a stab at "enhancing" the sticky notes app.  I was working on adding macro functions to add func to the notes (i.e. a clock or countdown timer).  Never had time to get very far with it.  Just seemed like a neat idea.

jcpetu,

Cute app :)

And, Thanks for the kind  feedback everybody, I'm kinda surprised this even got a response :P I thought it would just be dismissed as a silly project that anyone could have started. But then again I'm not very familiar with the AutoIt Forum community even though I've been using AutoIt for years.

Lately I've become aware of just how capable AutoIt is in terms of creating functional GUI based applications. I'm definitely inspired to start creating more of my own re makes and interpretations of existing applications in this fun but powerful language!

Travis, I gorgot to tell you, you can drag the note to any place, resize it by positioning the mouse pointer over the window edges and right click for other functions. Also if you quit and restart the note the last content will be saved as the size, color and position.

Regards.