MsgBox - Esc key hit

I am trying to make sure that a user does not by pass a MsgBox by hitting the Esc key. Not sure if I just need to create my own GUI, or if it is possible to determine if Esc was hit.

Local $iReturn = MsgBox(0,'Test', 'Do not hit ESC key!')
If @error Or $iReturn <> 1 Then
    MsgBox('','','')
Else
    Exit
EndIf

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Not quite sure what the 

MsgBox('','','')
Else
    Exit
EndIf

Function is suppose to do (Never used it, sorry) but I believe what you can do is use the _IsPressed() function like so.

#include <Misc.au3>

Local $hDLL = DllOpen("user32.dll")

;~ If @error Or $iReturn <> 1 Then
;~     MsgBox('','','')
;~ Else
;~     Exit
;~ EndIf

Func _EscapePressed()
    MsgBox(48, "Error", "You pressed ESC!")
EndFunc

While 1
    If _IsPressed("1B", $hDLL) Then
        _EscapePressed()
    EndIf
WEnd

DllClose($hDLL)

*** EDIT ***

Just realized though that this will make it so ANYTIME you press ESC this happens. I doubt you want that. So maybe do something like..

#include <Misc.au3>

$MsgBoxActive = 1

;~ If @error Or $iReturn <> 1 Then
;~     MsgBox('','','')
;~ Else
;~     Exit
;~ EndIf

Func _EscapePressed()
    MsgBox(48, "Error", "You pressed ESC!")
    $MsgBoxActive = 0
EndFunc

While 1
    If _IsPressed("1B", $hDLL) AND $MsgBoxActive = 1 Then
        _EscapePressed()
    EndIf
WEnd

DllClose($hDLL)

Edited by Damein

MCR.jpg?t=1286371579

Most recent sig. I made

Quick Launcher W/ Profiles Topic Movie Database Topic & Website | LiveStreamer Pro Website | YouTube Stand-Alone Playlist Manager: Topic | Weather Desktop Widget: Topic | Flash Memory Game: Topic | Volume Control With Mouse / iTunes Hotkeys: Topic | Weather program: Topic | Paws & Tales radio drama podcast mini-player: Topic | Quick Math Calculations: Topic

Not sure if I explained it quite right...I basically do not want the user to be able to Esc out of the MsgBox without hitting the OK button, or whatever button is needed to continue. If I put a function to look for Esc Keys, every time the user hits the Esc key that function will run, even if it does not pertain to my script.

The reason for the code:

MsgBox('','','')
Else
    Exit
EndIf

Is in the example above, if you hit the OK but, the return value should be 1, based on the help. After I can figure out how to see the Esc key, from the message box, I will create a loop that keeps posting the MsgBox until the right button is pressed.

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Oh, well then how about this?

#include <Misc.au3>

$MsgBoxActive = 1
While $MsgBoxActive = 1
    Local $iReturn = MsgBox(0, 'Test', 'Do not hit ESC key!')
    If _IsPressed("1B", $hDLL) Then
        $MsgBoxActive = 1
    ElseIf $iReturn = 1 Then
        $MsgBoxActive = 0
    EndIf
WEnd

DllClose($hDLL)

Now it will close out the MsgBox/Script at the moment if the "X" is clicked as well. Not sure if that factors into your idea but yeah.

Edited by Damein

MCR.jpg?t=1286371579

Most recent sig. I made

Quick Launcher W/ Profiles Topic Movie Database Topic & Website | LiveStreamer Pro Website | YouTube Stand-Alone Playlist Manager: Topic | Weather Desktop Widget: Topic | Flash Memory Game: Topic | Volume Control With Mouse / iTunes Hotkeys: Topic | Weather program: Topic | Paws & Tales radio drama podcast mini-player: Topic | Quick Math Calculations: Topic

• Moderators

nitekram,

You could always use my ExtMsgBox UDF - that returns as follows:

; Return values .: Success: Returns 1-based index of the button pressed, counting from the LEFT.

;                           Returns 0 if closed by a "CloseGUI" event (i.e. click [X] or press Escape)
;                           Returns 9 if timed out
;                           If "Not again" checkbox is present and checked, return value is negated

So it is easy to check what the user did.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

But of course Melba the almighty swoops in with the better answer :)

MCR.jpg?t=1286371579

Most recent sig. I made

nitekram,

You could always use my ExtMsgBox UDF - that returns as follows:

; Return values .: Success: Returns 1-based index of the button pressed, counting from the LEFT.

;                           Returns 0 if closed by a "CloseGUI" event (i.e. click [X] or press Escape)
;                           Returns 9 if timed out
;                           If "Not again" checkbox is present and checked, return value is negated

So it is easy to check what the user did.

M23

I figured it would be something like that - I knew you had created it, but thought it might be available in the native MsgBox - as it has to return something, and in my example the Esc key actually returns 1, which is the same thing as hitting the OK button (along with hitting the X in the upper right hand corner). I would think that this might be a bug, in the function, as the button was not actually pressed?

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

When checking the help file to solve this problem I noticed two stars next to

TRY AGAIN **     $IDTRYAGAIN (10)
CONTINUE **      $IDCONTINUE (11)

Does anyone know what this stars stand for? The help file doesn't explain what they represent.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

From reading @Melba23 post, on his UDF...this might be a limitation of Windows, but feel that if that is the case, they messed up. If a button is there, and it is bypassed, and in this case bypassing it actually clicks the button, in this case the OK button, I feel an Esc key press or a click on the red X, would be a cancel, not an OK?

Edit - grammar (2)

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

• Moderators

nitekram,

I imagine their argument would be that a MsgBox with a single button is a pure notification and it matters not which method is used to clear it. Have you checked to see if the same is true when there is more than the single button and the user has to make a choice?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

By the way @Melba23, if this is indeed the case, it is a Windows issue, I vote to have your function added to the program as a replacement for MsgBox, or at the very least, have it in the program as an alternative - with help file entry and the whole nine yards (sorry if you do not understand that saying).

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

nitekram,

I imagine their argument would be that a MsgBox with a single button is a pure notification and it matters not which method is used to clear it. Have you checked to see if the same is true when there is more than the single button and the user has to make a choice?

M23

Just tested that...I will change my code to a Yes|No and then there is no Esc key allowed...thanks for pointing this out.

P.S. I already changed the code with your function, so I will leave it for now, but would maybe like to see that in the help file, along with what @Water asked about with the ** in the help file.

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

• Moderators

nitekram,

the whole nine yards (sorry if you do not understand that saying).

I do indeed understand it - and have had many a discussion about its origin. However, I see that Wikipedia appears to have a new explanation - I wonder how long that one will last.

M23 

Spoiler

nitekram,

I do indeed understand it - and have had many a discussion about its origin. However, I see that Wikipedia appears to have a new explanation - I wonder how long that one will last.

M23 

You know, I have never even looked it up. I just assumed that I knew what it meant, and I believe I have a grasp of it, but had no clue how many people have discussed its origin: I actually like the urban one, as that kind of makes sense if indeed there was a bullet belt nine yards long - "give them hell" comes to mind. But alas, it cannot be so, if other people used it before WWII - I think I read 1907 was the first print of the saying.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/the-whole-nine-yards.html

http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/nineyards.asp

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Whole+nine+yards

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

With the MsgBox function, from any language, the ESC key has the same return result as hitting the Cancel button or exiting the MsgBox by hitting the X in the window.

You'll notice that the MsgBox when used with, for example $MB_YESNO (4), there is no cancel button, and there is no X to close the window. Hitting ESC does nothing with this type of MsgBox. You'll also notice that on the one button MsgBox using $MB_OK (0), that hitting ESC returns 1, not sure what the rationale for that is, but that's how Microsoft desinged it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator