Trouble in filling out a form in IE by using _IEFormGetObjByName

Elena21

Hello, I am too new to AutoIT, in fact i have just started using it. I have been wandering around forums and documentation for the last couple of days. Good thing is learning curve is not steep and I have found autoIt quite useful because of it.

However, there are some points where i can't succeed to make my code working even though i have used existing blocks of code that describe similar things (something like this  https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/89520-_ie-troubles/) . I was hoping you could assist me in this. 

My intention is to automate the browser, specifically IE, to fill out a "form" (will explain quotes shortly) and so on.I manage to get to a page successfully, followed codes of how to login and navigate through the website, but exploring this particular form (described in the block) was where I got stuck.  I am still in the early part of what I need to do. (Ultimately I want to download thousands of data from a web portal but I have a long way to go for this).

Anyway, for the form I am talking about, I am using the following code: 

$oForm = _IEFormGetObjByName ($oIE, "home_details")
$oQuery1 = _IEFormElementGetObjByName ($oForm, "home_id")
_IEFormElementSetValue ($oQuery1,"16623")

Where home id is part of the "form" which i need to set as a specific number (for e.g. 16623). I don't care about the rest.

Now, 

_IEFormGetObjByName

is supposed to have as name : "Specify the name of the Form you wish to match"

The thing is the particular form does not have a name (see 2nd screenshot) i.e. there is no form id, or form name in element source. 

The form looks like this :

nchformss.thumb.jpg.24b7486e5e1162ab6445

and the page element looks like this:

nchformss2.thumb.jpg.48d1d38d0069a14f804

The result is that i don't get anything. There is no error in my code but there is also no return, no filling the form. Which made me think this is not a form but then again what is it. I also tried to use 

_IEGetObjById($oIE, "home_id")

to get to that element directly but it didn't work. This could be for really obvious reasons but not enough obvious for me. On the other hand the particular debugger is not enough to tell me what i am doing wrong (i.e. is there really a form, not and w.e.).

Thanks in advance and I hope I described my issue well. Should you need any clarifications just ask and I will do my best. 

Thanks for your answer and I agree with you. This was the closest I could find to a name... So, how can I point to that element then i.e. the home_id ? 

Why does  the following also fail?

There is no other command I could find to match this ...

Try to read and use this:

ie.au3 UDF with AutoIt v3.3.14.x  

EDIT:
and say: Do you have any further information after using knowledge from this mentioned link ?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

Hi mLipok, thanks for this post; I was looking at debugging earlier but this didn't come up (maybe add it in keywords).

This is actually very helpful and definitely a good practice so will use it from now on.

So, yes I tried it in my code. The results were for: 

_IEFormGetObjByName
@error = 7
@extended = 0

For 

_IEGetObjById($oIE, "used a random_id")
@error = 7
@extended = 2

And finally for

were nothing as there was no error. So, the only thing is that i cannot make it to write into the box. I used

send("16623")

but nothing. 

Also, @error = 7 means no match? What does @extended mean? Not sure i get it. 

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion to use "if error" blocks, it clarified a lot.

@extended = parameter number

were nothing as there was no error. So, the only thing is that i cannot make it to write into the box. I used

send("16623")

but nothing. 

...was no error.. so all is ok.

Using send is useless.

Try this:

Local $oIE_Home = _IEGetObjById($oIE, "home_id")
_IEFormElementSetValue($oIE_Home, "1234")

EDIT:

btw.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Looks like there may be frames involved. Have you ruled them out?

No.

Op say

_IEGetObjById($oIE, "home_id")

so _IEGetObjById works correctly.

The only one thing is that @Elena21 need to use IE UDF function to set text in input fileds instead using AutoIt internal Send() function.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

No problem @Danp2 let see what OP say.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

@Danp2, @mLipok  

This is so great, it worked! Thanks both. Actually, I was using send() because i thought, since this is not a form, i cannot use the 

_IEFormElementSetValue

command so I found something similar. Thank you for the welcome, today I've learnt important elements from you. +1 ^_^ See you soon, I bet I will have more questions coming. :) 

Good to you. Keep learning.

mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler