Serial Pressure Floor Mat (Halloween Project)

nlgma

Hello,

I picked up an older Pressure Floor Mat that use to be connected to a Wyse device and functioned as a auto logon / logoff switch for a kiosk. I have been working with the CommMG UDF's, with no luck. I installed a serial monitor program and still can't seem to communicate with the floor pad. A serial port was a bit difficult to locate, I currently have the floor mat connected to the docking station of the laptop.

Project: Play short video when the Pressure Floor Mat is stepped on.

OK, So I picked up a Sabrent USB 2.0 to serial adapter. I am assuming that I will need to be listening on Com4 with default settings 9600 ect... I have never scripted anything for this type of project, My thought was to monitor the com4 port and jump on the pad and see what information I can gather, then script something to listen on the port and play video when someone steps on the mat. If someone could point me in the right direction of what I am trying to do, I can write the code, please help!

• 2 weeks later...

SOLVED (ONLY WORKS ON 32 BIT WINDOWS)

Arduino Section

I bought an Arduino UNO with some jumper wires off Amazon for $15. I downloaded and installed the Arduino software. I tried using the  built in Digital Button example included with the Arduino software. I didn't have the proper resistor, however I connected jumper wires to PIN 5 to ground and PIN 2 to digital 2. When I tested the mat, the on-board LED would light up and it would light up randomly as well. After doing some research I found the following link that explained I was getting noise interference causing the code to randomly trigger http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Button-Tutorial/

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Arduino button tutorial 1.
//
// Demonstrates:
// - detection of pressing state
//
// Push-button must be connected as follows:
//              __,__
//   Pin2 ------o   o------ GND
//
// (C) 2011 By P. Bauermeister
// This example code is in the public domain.
//

// Adapt these to your board and application timings:

#define BUTTON_PIN        2  // Button
#define DELAY            20  // Delay per loop in ms

void setup()
{
  pinMode(BUTTON_PIN, INPUT);
  digitalWrite(BUTTON_PIN, HIGH); // pull-up
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

boolean handle_button()
{
  int button_pressed = !digitalRead(BUTTON_PIN); // pin low -> pressed
  return button_pressed;
}

void loop()
{
  // handle button
  boolean button_pressed = handle_button();

// do other things
  Serial.print(button_pressed ? "1" : "0");

// add newline sometimes
  static int counter = 0;
  if ((++counter & 0x3f) == 0)
    Serial.println();

delay(DELAY);
}

I loaded the above (slightly modified) code to the Arduino, connected jumper wires to PIN 5 to ground and PIN 2 to digital 2, stepped on the pad and magic happened.

Autoit Section

I downloaded the CommMG.au3 UDF and the commg.dll, however I couldn't get anything working, Why?!?!?! cause I was running a 64 bit version of windows. I installed Virtual Box and created a 32 bit VB and tested the again and magic happened.

#include <arduino.au3>
#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#include <array.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <CommMG.au3>

Local $convar = False

_CommSetDllPath(@ScriptDir & "\commg.dll")

$gui = GUICreate ("Arduino serial connections",500)
$inut = GUICtrlCreateEdit("",10,60,200,300)
$output = GUICtrlCreateEdit("",270,60,200,300,$ES_READONLY)
$send = GUICtrlCreateButton("Send to Arduino",20,20)
$ports = GUICtrlCreateCombo("",155,22)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Ports:" ,120,24)
GUICtrlSetData($ports,_CommListports(1),_CommListports(0))
$connect = GUICtrlCreateButton(" Connect COM ",260,20)
$disconnect = GUICtrlCreateButton (" Disconnect COM ",370,20)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Send edit",50,370)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Recieve edit",330,370)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
Switch GUIGetMsg()
    Case $connect
       $ported = GUICtrlRead($ports)
       conecta(StringReplace($ported,"COM",""),9600)
       MsgBox ("","","Connected to :" &$ported)
       $convar = True

Case $disconnect
        _CommCloseport()
        MsgBox ("","","COM Disconnected")
        $convar = False

Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
        _CommCloseport()
         Exit

Case $send
         If $convar Then
         $sended = GUICtrlRead($inut)
         _CommSendString($sended,1)
         MsgBox ("","","String Send")
         else
         MsgBox ("","","Please connect to COM before sending data to it")
         EndIf

EndSwitch
$inpcom = _CommGetstring()

If Not @error And StringLen($inpcom) > 0 And $inpcom <> 0 Then SplashTextOn("YOUR STANDING ON THE MAT","PLAY VIDEO","-1","-1","-1","-1",32,"Impact","36","700")
If Not @error And StringLen($inpcom) > 0 And $inpcom <> 1 Then SplashOff()
WEnd

The above code is slightly modified and was used for testing to make sure everything was working.

Edited by nlgma

have you tried running the 32 bit version of AutoIt on your 64 bit Windows? By default, you're probably running AutoIt_64.exe.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator