How to do frequency and sound program

Technical specs usually provide this info.

However my focus is on the behavior you will get, regardless of the manufacturers intent.

i use audacity on another box to get an idea of where i am.    And those tones wobble something fierce but peaks above 30k, I would certainly concede that the same issues that exist in making the sound are the same that exist in measuring it, so the data is very rough.   Just hooked up my 3-2-1 and can't make them squeal + they emit audible tones down to about 40hz, after that it is just pops.   So the varied failings and shitty construction of cheap speakers is where you get the desired (but unintended) effects.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

I am enjoying the game of    "Is the script still running OR is it your tinnitus?"

**of the old electronics in my garage, an LCD monitor is emitting the highest pitch.  Someone here is going to be lucky enough to have a speaker that squeals and a monitor with a bad ic.   I would think that in addition to the rodents it would bother anyone who hears it and cant stop focusing on it.

Edited by boththose

You can't hear 30Khz unless you're a bat, so there's no way to determine if it's actually emitting a tone at that frequency or not without hooking up an excellent quality microphone to an oscilloscope and watching the wave form. The warbling you're hearing is probably the speaker tearing itself to pieces.

Even IF the speakers and sound system were capable of that superhuman feat, 90-100 dB would not be obtainable from a laptop speaker, that is an incredibly loud sound to be coming from a laptop or even a good set of desktop speakers. If you fed the signal through a good amplifier, which by the way would be almost totally incapable of passing 30Khz, you might get close to 90dB or even 100 db.

Audio circuits for consumers are generally topped out at 20Khz because there's no point to be able to go beyond that because the human ear isn't designed for higher frequencies so why make a circuit that goes to a point that no one can hear in the first place.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I tried those silly devices once, they don't work, and if they did they'd drive the mouse away rather than help you catch it.

Good old mouse trap is what you meed, BANG! off with it's little rodent head.

just build your own. Have a look in the example there for. :P

_MouseTrap

Confine the Mouse Cursor to specified coords

#include <Misc.au3>
_MouseTrap ( [$iLeft = 0 [, $iTop = 0 [, $iRight = 0 [, $iBottom = 0]]]] )

Edited by AutoBert

I second all the warnings expressed above. Delivery of such power at this frequency requires a specially-designed ultrasonic transmitter. There's no way to get anything any close by using a traditional speaker, lests using a laptop minuscule appendices. A sound card will never deliver anything in this {frequency/power} ballpark.

Also 90-100dB is something and requires a correct driver, depending on the type of transmitter used and it's efficiency ratio at a given frequency. Finally you'll have no idea if anything works as intended unless using some form of lab equipment to measure the actual output delivered.

Have a cat do the job.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Have a cat do the job.

Which one do you mean?:

1. Ultrasonic Purr of the Cat

2. Cat's predicative instincts towards rats

lol :P

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

But that can all be checked with UEZ tone generator, or any of the mosquito ringtone sites.  My laptop speaker stops at 17 kHz when playing a file, but the beep tone is audibly a higher pitch than tolerated by a .wav, which is leading me back to degradation actually helping in this effort.

*as an oddity I have found my cakewalk studio does not attempt to measure the the things over @25k, whereas audacity looks like it tries really really hard, makes me think that audacity may be a false return.   I have verified my reference cans go up to 30kHz, so I am going to check my mics, drop the headphones around the mic, and test again...   Does that seem more accurate?

Edited by boththose

Headphones would be useless, you'd be lucky to get 15Khz out of them unless they're really expensive ones. Unless you have lab quality microphones, they'd be useless too, as they're only designed for 20-20Khz on the extreme end.

Just because your program can SEND a 30khz signal to your speakers, doesn't mean that your audio circuitry or speakers can output that frequency. I can yell as loud as I want to a deaf person, he still ain't going to hear me. Even with a high end speaker on a laptop, you'll be REALLY lucky to get above 10-13 Khz out of them, there's no way in hell you're going to get 30 Khz unless you're Donald Trump and have a custom made laptop.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

You have no idea about the frequency response curve of any of the things you cite. You have no idea about the frequency spectrum of those things either, so you end up have no clue about what you believe to be measuring. That's how the problem stands.

I own a number of calibrated reference lab frequency generators (I can do 1mHz to 3.2 GHz at various levels and waveforms with very low distorsion), yet and even if I had an ultrasonic transmitter (I mean the "street", uncalibrated version), it still would require a calibrated ultrasonic transducer to actually measure something with some significance. Anything else is pure guesswork.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I am looking at the same digital readouts for kHz I have read in my studio for years, I dont understand anything besides what the pane of glass tells me.  What I am trying to understand is why things like pro-audio/cakewalk/audacity are all giving different measurements for inaudible signals.  And please go to musicians friend and search for 30 kHz range headphones,  I dont question the specs on mine because there are sub $100 headphones with that range, not quite trumpesque.   and my mic is ranged the same.   As to the why they have that range, or if the specs lack legitimacy, I dont know, i cant hear, or have any other means to verify the returns.

This has led to interesting reading about eliminating room gain, that looks like my next wormhole.

Edited by boththose

I wonder what the audiograph of those headphones looks like past 10Khz, probably drops off like the Titanic in an ice field. Sounds like BS to me if anyone is saying their headset can go past 20-25Khz without boosting the amplitude of the signal.

Sounds like BS to me if anyone is saying their headset can go past 20-25Khz without boosting the amplitude of the signal.

There are 100s, I would wonder if there is a theoretical limit they are claiming rather than achieved measurables.  I dont have a good ruler apparently.

@AndyG

Yeah my speakers stop playing audible wavs at about 20 kHz, but beep tones have been jumping much higher.

Edited by boththose

Inaudible signals are hard to quantify, just because there can be only instrumental measures over them using costly calibrated equipment. Even audible signals are hard to acurately measure: that needs an anechoic chamber, something that only money can buy. Fortunately most uses don't require such things.

Non-lab products don't need to deliver high-end specs, even studio equipment is far from anything like a flat response curve over a large range. After all, sounds are most commonly intended to be heard by humans and human ears don't have a flat response curve (and you or me or someone else wouldn't like that). Some people or context prefer "soft" equilization, other emphasize bass or medium, and so on.

Nice, i wonder if you go crazy quicker in that chamber or one that repeats everything you say directly back at you so that you have to talk over yourself saying the same thing.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/120583-new-speech-jamming-gun-hints-at-dystopian-big-brother-future

i liked this article on frequencies i just read, mainly because one guy in my office was all about the new 24/192 a couple of months ago and it all sounded great the way he told it. 

https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Edited by boththose

• Developers

Nah, see a lot of Bass but not much speakers to do the 20kHz+ frequencies, unless you simply want to squash it. :)

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)