ReplaceString Outlook Autocomplete.dat

So, stuck on a project.

I want to try to edit a string located in the Stream_Autocomplete.dat file that Outlook uses for email address autocomplete.  We are going to be moving an entire email server and so we want to change the old autocomplete entries.

Instead of deleting the cache completely I was tasked to find a way to export, modify, and then import the data.

My first step was finding all this data is stored in the above mentioned .dat file for Office 2010, and a .NK2 file for Office 2007 I have not even gotten to the NK2 file yet, but on this .dat I can open it up in Notepad++ and see its ANSI encoded and see the plain text strings I need to change.

In Autoit however the _ReplaceStringInFile() does not work, and I have run through every FileOpen() FileRead() option I can think of and none of those have worked for me yet either.

Wonder what I am doing wrong.

Here is where I left off, its got a few testing things I have tried just so you get a feel for where I am at.

#RequireAdmin
#Include <Array.au3>
#Include <File.au3>

$sDirectory = @ScriptDir
$aFiles = _FileListToArray($sDirectory, "Stream_Autocomplete*.dat", $FLTA_FILES, True)
;_ArrayDisplay($aFiles)
For $i = 1 to $aFiles[0]
$hFirst = FileOpen($aFiles[$i], 512)
$sFile = FileRead($hFirst)
FileClose($hFirst)
$hFile = FileOpen($aFiles[$i], 514)
$sFile2 =  _ANSI2UNICODE($sFile)
MsgBox(0, "", $sFile2)
$sNewContent = StringRegExpReplace($sFile, "snip", "snip")
$sNewContent2 = _UNICODE2ANSI($sNewContent)
FileWrite($hFile, $sNewContent)
FileClose($hFile)
Next

;ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)

Func _UNICODE2ANSI($sString = "")
    ; Convert UTF8 to ANSI to insert into DB

; http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85496&view=findpost&p=614497
    ; ProgAndy
    ; Make ANSI-string representation out of UTF-8

Local Const $SF_ANSI = 1
    Local Const $SF_UTF8 = 4
    Return BinaryToString(StringToBinary($sString, $SF_UTF8), $SF_ANSI)
EndFunc   ;==>_UNICODE2ANSI

Func _ANSI2UNICODE($sString = "")
    ; Extract ANSI and convert to UTF8 to display

; http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85496&view=findpost&p=614497
    ; ProgAndy
    ; convert ANSI-UTF8 representation to ANSI/Unicode

Local Const $SF_ANSI = 1
    Local Const $SF_UTF8 = 4
    Return BinaryToString(StringToBinary($sString, $SF_ANSI), $SF_UTF8)
EndFunc   ;==>_ANSI2UNICODE

Edited by ViciousXUSMC

Maybe this tool does what you need: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_edit.html

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Yes it does, work in progress.  I need to add more checks to determine x86 x64, Outlook 2007/2010/2013 and diversify how 2007 uses NK2 and 2010 uses .Dat but its a proof of concept and working on my computer.  NK2 Edit can actually do the string changes itself, but I felt it was easier for me to use AutoIT.

#RequireAdmin
#Include <Array.au3>
#Include <File.au3>
FileInstall("NK2Edit.exe", @TempDir & "\NK2Edit.exe", 1)

$sDirectory = @ScriptDir ;Directory of .NK2 or .Dat File
$aFiles = _FileListToArray($sDirectory, "Stream_Autocomplete*.dat", $FLTA_FILES, True) ;Put List of Files in Array
Local $aFilesDate[$aFiles[0]+1][2] ;Declare New Array with Extra Colum to add Modified Date

For $i = 0 to $aFiles[0]
    $aFilesDate[$i][0] = $aFiles[$i] ;Copy First Array Column To New Array
    $aFilesDate[$i][1] = FileGetTime($aFiles[$i], 0, 1) ;Add Last Modified Date To Second Column in New Array
Next

$iRowCount = $aFilesDate[0][0] ;Index Count from Array to use as Row Count before Sort
_ArraySort($aFilesDate, 0, 0, 0, 1) ;Sort New Array So the Most Recent Modified File is Listed Last

_ArrayDisplay($aFilesDate) ;Show Current Array

$sAutoCompleteFile = $aFilesDate[$iRowCount][0]  ;Most Recent File will be $aFilesDate[$iRowCount]
FileCopy($sAutoCompleteFile, @TempDir & "\TempAutoComplete.dat", 1)
FileCopy($sAutoCompleteFile, $sAutoCompleteFile & ".bak", 1)
Run(@ComSpec & " /k " & @TempDir & "\NK2Edit.exe /nk2_to_text " & @TempDir & "\TempAutoComplete.dat" & " " & @TempDir & "\TempAutoComplete.txt", @ScriptDir, @SW_HIDE)
Sleep(2000)
_ReplaceStringInFile(@TempDir & "\TempAutoComplete.txt", "@polkfl.com", "@polk-county.net")

Run(@ComSpec & " /k " & @TempDir & "\NK2Edit.exe /text_to_nk2 " & @TempDir & "\TempAutoComplete.txt" & " " & @TempDir & "\TempAutoComplete.nk2", @ScriptDir, @SW_HIDE)
FileCopy(@TempDir & "\TempAutoComplete.nk2", "C:\Users\" & @UserName & "\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.nk2", 1)
Run("C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Outlook.exe /importnk2", @ScriptDir, @SW_HIDE)

So I still have a long way to go on this one, also I need to name the NK2 file the users email profile name, so I need a way to get that not sure if registry or perhaps your Outlook.UDF