Excel / Outlook COM

UEZ

Sure. Using Outlook events. Examples can be found in the Example Scripts section for Outlook.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I searched the forum and found this thread but not on its first page.:whistle:

_OL_Example_SentMail_Event.au3 (2012-10-16)
When a mail is sent a copy is stored in the Sent Mail folder. This triggers the ItemAdd event for this folder.
The example script displays the Subject of the new item.
Based on this example script you could write your own mail archiving solution.

This is the right direction but still not what I'm trying to check (close / send) where as send should be triggert regardless whether mail is saved somewhere or not. I usually don't use the Sent folder.

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

What is wrong here?

#include <Array.au3>
#include <Excel.au3>
#include "..\Office\Outlook\OutlookEX.au3" ;adjust this path!

Global $hGUI = GUICreate("Test")
GUISetState()

; Excel part
Global $aField9[2] = [9, $xlTextFormat]
Global $aFieldInfo[1] = [$aField9]
Global $sWorkbook = @ScriptDir & "\Test.txt"
Global $sExcel = @ScriptDir & "\Test.xlsx"
Global $oExcel = _Excel_Open(False, False, True, True, True)
Global $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpenText($oExcel, $sWorkbook, 2, $xlDelimited, Default, True, ",", $aFieldInfo, ".", Default, Default, 65001)

$oExcel.Windows($oWorkbook.Name).Visible = False

; Create Outlook mail
Global $oOutlook = _OL_Open()
$oOutlook_Mail = $oOutlook.CreateItem(0)
$oEvent_OL = ObjEvent($oOutlook_Mail, "oOutlook_Mail_")

With $oOutlook_Mail
    ;   .To = ""
    .CC = ""
    .BCC = ""
    .Subject = "Test"
    .Attachments.Add($sExcel, 1, 1)
    .Display
EndWith

Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3

$oEvent_OL = Null
_OL_Close($oOutlook)
_Excel_Close($oExcel, False, True)

Func oOutlook_Mail_ItemAdd($oOL)
    ConsoleWrite("ItemAdd Triggert" & @CRLF)
EndFunc

Func oOutlook_Mail_NewMailEx($oOL)
    ConsoleWrite("New mail Triggert" & @CRLF)
EndFunc

Func oOutlook_Mail_ItemSend($oOL)
    ConsoleWrite("ItemSend Triggert" & @CRLF)
EndFunc

Func oOutlook_Mail_AttachmentAdd($oOL)
    ConsoleWrite("Attachment triggered" & @CRLF)
EndFunc

Only Func oOutlook_Mail_AttachmentAdd($oOL) is triggered!

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Will post an example how to use the Write and Unload events tomorrow.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

This seems to a problem how Excel is started (in Multiple Document Interface (MDI) mode). Is it possible to start Excel in Single Document Interface (SDI) mode?

-> https://blogs.office.com/2013/06/03/opening-workbooks-by-running-separate-instances-of-excel/

This will solve probably my problem.

Can't you add the /X switch to the filetype association? Means that Excel is being started with /X when a user clicks on an Excel file and Windows starts Excel?
I only have Office 2010 so can't test any of the solutions provided on the web :(

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Changing the default settings in a company environment is not a good idea!

I see. Will check if there is an "Open Attachment" event to grab.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Btw, running permanently Excel in SDI mode might cause problems -> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn251093.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

if you running Excel 2013.

I see. Will check if there is an "Open Attachment" event to grab.

That's not a problem only with opening the attachment only. If you run the app without opening any XLSX and start another external Excel sheet the opened Excel sheet will be attached to the app instance and thus it will be unresponsive. If you close the app all attached Excel sheets will be closed, too.

The COM interface handling regarding this issue is very unsatisfying or I'm too stupid for it.

Edited by UEZ

So you need a solution where every workbook is opened in a new instance of Excel (independant of how it is being opened).
Unfortunately I have no idea how to accomplish this :(

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Anyhow, if you can create the example for event grabbing for OL events it would be great. :D

Maybe I or somebody else will need it some day...

THX!

Edit: found a hint here https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/25794163-d33b-478b-af6a-7dd0bf437380/how-to-make-sure-that-opening-a-workbook-starts-a-new-excel-process-and-does-not-use-the-existing?forum=exceldev

Application app1 = new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application(); This line of code creates a new instance of excel everytime you run your code .

I don't know how to use it in Autoit yet...

Edited by UEZ

That's exactly what _Excel_Open does when parameter $bForceNew is set to True.
That's what you are already doing in your code in post #21.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

This script triggers display and attachment add events.

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <OutlookEX.au3> ;adjust this path!

$oEvent_OL = ObjEvent($oOutlook, "oOutlook_Mail_")
$oEvent_Item = ObjEvent($oOutlook_Mail, "oOutlook_Item_")
$oOutlook_Mail.Display
Sleep(10000)
$oEvent_OL = Null
_OL_Close($oOutlook)

; Mail is being displayed
Volatile Func oOutlook_Item_Open(ByRef $bCancel)
    ConsoleWrite("Display mail triggered" & @CRLF)
    If MsgBox($MB_YESNO, "Question", "Should the mail be displayed?") = $IDNO Then $bCancel = True ; Do not display the mail
EndFunc

; Attachment is added to the mail
Func oOutlook_Item_AttachmentAdd(ByRef $oAttachment)
    ConsoleWrite("Attachment " & $oAttachment.DisplayName & " added." & @CRLF)
EndFunc

The problem with your code was caused because you "attached" the events to the wrong object (should be mail item not application).
An example for the sent mail item can be found in the examples that come with the UDF.

Something else missing?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

That's exactly what _Excel_Open does when parameter $bForceNew is set to True.
That's what you are already doing in your code in post #21.

But it doesn't work with Office 2013. When no Excel was opened before, only one Excel.exe is opened and all other instances are attachted to this process automatically. 

This script triggers display and attachment add events.

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <OutlookEX.au3> ;adjust this path!

$oEvent_OL = ObjEvent($oOutlook, "oOutlook_Mail_")
$oEvent_Item = ObjEvent($oOutlook_Mail, "oOutlook_Item_")
$oOutlook_Mail.Display
Sleep(10000)
$oEvent_OL = Null
_OL_Close($oOutlook)

; Mail is being displayed
Volatile Func oOutlook_Item_Open(ByRef $bCancel)
    ConsoleWrite("Display mail triggered" & @CRLF)
    If MsgBox($MB_YESNO, "Question", "Should the mail be displayed?") = $IDNO Then $bCancel = True ; Do not display the mail
EndFunc

; Attachment is added to the mail
Func oOutlook_Item_AttachmentAdd(ByRef $oAttachment)
    ConsoleWrite("Attachment " & $oAttachment.DisplayName & " added." & @CRLF)
EndFunc

The problem with your code was caused because you "attached" the events to the wrong object (should be mail item not application).
An example for the sent mail item can be found in the examples that come with the UDF.

Something else missing?

Thanks, now it works. Open triggers only the new OL window - not when the attachment was started.

Should be

Volatile Func oOutlook_Mail_AttachmentRead($oOL)
    ConsoleWrite("AttachmentRead triggered" & @CRLF)
EndFunc

Thanks for your patient.

Edited by UEZ

Open is not meant to be triggered when the attachment is being added. It is triggered when the Inspector is being opened to display the mail item.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Let say I've started Excel this way:

Global Const $iPID_Excel = ShellExecute("Excel.exe", "/r /e /x", $sExcelPath, $SHEX_OPEN, @SW_HIDE)

Is it possible to use the instance parameter of ObjGet() function to attach to the Excel instance which was opened as above shown?

Any idea?

Edited by UEZ

As ShellExecute returns a Process-ID and ObjGet needs an integer as the index of the instance you want to access, you need a way to translate the PID to an instance number.

Untested:
Start Excel with ShellExecute and then search for the Process-ID in the array returned by ProcessList("Excel.exe"). Use the index of the corresponding entry for ObjGet.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

As ShellExecute returns a Process-ID and ObjGet needs an integer as the index of the instance you want to access, you need a way to translate the PID to an instance number.

Untested:
Start Excel with ShellExecute and then search for the Process-ID in the array returned by ProcessList("Excel.exe"). Use the index of the corresponding entry for ObjGet.

That's not working.

#include <Array.au3>

Global Const $iPID_Excel = ShellExecute("Excel.exe", "/r /e /x", "", $SHEX_OPEN, @SW_SHOW)
Sleep(2000)

$aExcel_Process_Info = ProcessList("Excel.exe")
$iPos = _ArraySearch($aExcel_Process_Info, $iPID_Excel)

Global $oExcel = ObjGet("", "Excel.Application", $iPos)
If @error Then
    ConsoleWrite("ERROR" & @CRLF)
    Exit
EndIf

E.g. when I have no Excel opened and start the script it doesn't work -> error.

But when I start Excel "normally" then it works. It connects to the standard instance. I assume "instance" is an integer starting from 1 to n.

Untested:

That's not working.

#include <Array.au3>

Global Const $iPID_Excel = ShellExecute("Excel.exe", "/r /e /x", "", $SHEX_OPEN, @SW_SHOW)
Sleep(2000)

If @error Then
    ConsoleWrite("ERROR" & @CRLF)
    Exit
EndIf

E.g. when I have no Excel opened and start the script it doesn't work -> error.

But when I start Excel "normally" then it works. It connects to the standard instance. I assume "instance" is an integer starting from 1 to n.

Your script works fine here. Only modification I made is to replace $SHEX_OPEN with "".
The script works if there is an instance already running or not.

#include <Array.au3>

Global Const $iPID_Excel = ShellExecute("Excel.exe", "/r /e /x", "", "", @SW_SHOW)
ConsoleWrite("PID: " & $iPID_Excel & @CRLF)
Sleep(2000)

_ArrayDisplay($aExcel_Process_Info)
ConsoleWrite("iPos: " & $iPos & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("ObjGet error: " & @error & @CRLF)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki