Trim text in a file without storing the contents of anywhere

Hello, I have a simple task today, I am sure that I made a similar post a long time ago... I want trim (delete or remove or wipe) the contents of a file (text or binary) WITHOUT storing the contents of the file anywhere in the script. Here is a text file for the purpose of experimenting: (contents of text.txt)

The task is simple, remove "456" from the contents of text.txt WITHOUT storing the contents anywhere! I wanted to post some code but it seems impossible to provide any relevant code this time...

Good luck with the challenge! TD :D

Edited by TheDcoder
removed "(whole)" from the question

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

What is the purpose of this "challenge"? Why should I use the slow file I/O only?

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

@UEZ Autually it was my problem which I am facing right now...

Why should I use the slow file I/O only?

Because I process *big* binary files (archives to be precise), I need to trim some stuff in it :)

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

J1, helpful as always ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Use FileRead in a loop and read the data in chunks by setting parameter "count" to e.g. 64K. Process the variable and write the result to a new file. When finished delete the original file and rename the new one.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

You can do this...

Local $sEndData = ""
Local $hFile = FileOpen("1.txt", 17)
FileSetPos($hFile, 3, 0)
FileSetPos($hFile, 3 + 3, 0)
$sEndData = FileRead($hFile)
FileSetPos($hFile, 3, 0)
FileSetEnd($hFile)
FileWrite($hFile, $sEndData)
FileClose($hFile)

Saludos

100MB isn't too big. You should be able to read and process the whole file in one cycle.

What have you tried so far?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Because I process *big* binary files (archives to be precise), I need to trim some stuff in it :)

What kind of binary archives are you talking about?
Wouldn't changing the content/length destroy the internal structure of the archive?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

What have you tried so far?

Tried some crazy solutions like passing empty string, Null, Binary 0x000000 to trim the contents, currently I just finished my dinner...

Wouldn't changing the content/length destroy the internal structure of the archive?

I am writing additional information in the header, I tried it with a hex editor, It worked! :D

Use FileRead in a loop and read the data in chunks...

I will consider it using if its the most reliable :)

@Danyfirex Please wait, I am experimenting

danyfirex code in form of function

_FileEdit("file.txt", "456")

Func _FileEdit($sFilePath, $sText)
    $iPos = StringInStr(FileRead($sFilePath), $sText) -1
    $iLen = StringLen($sText)
    Local $sEndData = ""
    Local $hFile = FileOpen($sFilePath, 17)
    FileSetPos($hFile, $iPos, 0)
    FileSetPos($hFile, $iPos + $iLen, 0)
    $sEndData = FileRead($hFile)
    FileSetPos($hFile, $iPos, 0)
    FileSetEnd($hFile)
    FileWrite($hFile, $sEndData)
    FileClose($hFile)
EndFunc   ;==>_FileEdit

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Unless you're planning on hex editing the disk drive directly, your requirement is never going to be possible.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

@BrewManNH Hmmm.... :(.... I find water's solution to read the data in chucks now the best. I might reconsider some things tomorrow :P

When working with big files reading the file in chunks is the way to go. I wrote an AutoIt script at work to manipulate very large (15 to 20 GigaByte) XML files and it works like a charm. It's not difficult and relatively fast. The one case you need to consider that some forget, is where the section of the file that you are interested in falls across the boundary of 2 chunks. The way around this is to save some data from the end of the previous chunck, that is 1 byte shorter than what you are looking for and append the next chunk to this. This will ensure that you have the complete section of interest in one chunk of data. It's also worth experimenting with different chunk  sizees to find the optimal size for your particular set up.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

Hello, I have a simple task today, I am sure that I made a similar post a long time ago... I want trim (delete or remove or wipe) the contents of a file (text or binary) WITHOUT storing the contents of the file anywhere in the script.

When you read data into a variable, that is stored in memory, not the script.

Good luck with the challenge! TD :D

If I'm not mistaken this is not a challenge as you're asking for help.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Quote (TheDcoder said): ...in the script.

When you read data into a variable, that is stored in memory, not the script.

I was referring to that, what is it called?.... uhhhh... >_<.... :idea: Ah! Synthetic Sugar!, "in the script" is synthetic sugar for "in the memory" :P

If I'm not mistaken this is not a challenge as you're asking for help.

Busted :lol:, Yep, I wanted some help :)