UpdateDefs.exe missing

c.haslam

On my PC, running Win 7 SP 1, when I Start > All Programs > AutoIt3 > SciTE > Switch-Definitions, I get "Problem with Shortcut -- Searching for UpdateDefs.exe".

I have the latest SciTE.

Is this due to my machine?

Spoiler

CDebug Dumps values of variables including arrays and DLL structs, to a GUI, to the Console, and to the Clipboard

The file should be located here :Autoit3\SciTe\defs\UpdateDefs.exe

Did you install Scite lite?

Try reinstall Scite from here https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit-script-editor/downloads/

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Try reinstall Scite from here https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit-script-editor/downloads/

I installed SciTe from this link yesterday, hoping that doing so would solve the problem. It did not.

I haven't installed SciTe Lite for many years.

The file should be located here :Autoit3\SciTe\defs\UpdateDefs.exe

F:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\Defs contains 2 directories, Production and beta, and one file versioninfo.ini. That's all: no UpdateDefs.exe in this PC anywhere.

Spoiler

CDebug Dumps values of variables including arrays and DLL structs, to a GUI, to the Console, and to the Clipboard

• Developers

Updatedefs.exe is not distributed anymore since the "false positive tsunami" earlier this year and I decided to totally stop distributing any compiled  AutoIt3 script.

The shortcut isn't created anymore with the current package, but when you upgrade it isn't removed, only with an un-install.

Just run the script manually when you really want to swap defs.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers

Ah, you are right, I've totally removed it. 
What is the reason you still want to use this?  I believe that the AutoIt3 installer will always install the last definition files.

If there is any interest I think the function should be included in SciTE Config.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Hi Jos,

I have 3 reasons for wanting to use UpdateDefs,:

• In SciTE, I would like my default version of AutoIt to be the beta
  • In the past, I have switched back to the production version of AutoIt occasionally.
  • Ctrl_Alt_F5 does nothing on my PC, and I can't figure out why.

In the past, it usually did not matter to me whether I was running beta or production from SciTE, but this year it matters, because maps are only available in beta versions.

I think its functionality should be included in SciTE Config.

If you do change SciConfig, how about providing an option to change the indenting of Switch and Select so that the keywords of these structures line up? i.e. to change

Switch
    Case

Case Else
EndSwitch

to

Switch
Case

Case Else
EndSwitch

The reason I would like to have the latter available is 2-fold. I normally work with my screen split vertically into 2: I have SciTE open on the right, and TextPad open on the left. In debugging, I often copy/paste the contents of SciTE's output pane to TextPad. So I work with SciTE in portrait mode.

• With a Switch structure within a Switch structure, the indenting of lines of code causes their right ends to be off screen -- which is annoying.
  • When printing (in portrait mode) long lines wrap, making them hard to read.

If you change SciTE Config, perhaps you would also consider providing an option to print in black and white. As now configured, with a black and white printer, SciTE prints in greyscale, which is harder to read than black and white. I have made this change in the User Options file:

print.colour.mode=2
print.magnification=-2

Edited by c.haslam
Spoiler

• Developers

Lets get one thing strait first: UpdateDefs would ONLY update de definition files for syntax highlighting and au3check, and not change the default to run Beta always.
I believe a script is supplied in the Beta installer called Toggle AU3 Beta.au3 located in \AutoIt3\Beta\Extras, which can set the Beta executables as the default for Run and Compile.

What does it do when you try to run the Beta au3check "Ctrl_Alt_F5" ? 
Does Alt+F5 and Alt+F7 work as expected?

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I put the Beta and Release versions in 2 different folders and run them from those folders instead of putting them both in the one folder. I use the ZIP file download to copy the files to these folders instead of using the installers. This way I can explicitly run just the version I want in a portable fashion with nothing installed.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Developers

I put the Beta and Release versions in 2 different folders and run them from those folders instead of putting them both in the one folder. I use the ZIP file download to copy the files to these folders instead of using the installers. This way I can explicitly run just the version I want in a portable fashion with nothing installed.

That is an option, but they are both supported by the Full SciTE4AutoIt3 setup when the standard installers are used by simply using:

F1        Open the AutoIt Help file on the page for the keyword under the cursor
Alt-F1   Open the Beta Help file if installed
F5        Run an AutoIt script from within the editor after checking the script with AU3Check for any problems
Alt-F5   Use the Beta versions of AutoIt and AU3Check if installed
Ctrl-F5  Run AU3Check on the script to look for possible errors
Ctrl-Alt-F5 Run the Beta version of AU3Check if installed

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Understood that I can install them that way, but I don't install AutoIt.

I have it on a thumb drive at work, and on OneDrive everywhere else so I don't have to install and upgrade 7 computers every time, just upgrade the 2 locations, and I'm done. :)

It's also easier for me to have a consistent process to test scripts with, I only ever have to hit the same keys regardless of whether I running the beta or release versions.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I understand that UpdateDefs does not change what double-clicking on a file with a .au3 extension runs.

What does it do when you try to run the Beta au3check "Ctrl_Alt_F5" ? 
Does Alt+F5 and Alt+F7 work as expected?

Nothing happens when I do Ctrl_Alt_F5.  Alt+F5 and Alt+F7 work as expected.

...chris

Spoiler

• Developers

When you have the full version installed you at least should get output in the SciTE output console showing it is running autoit3wrapper.
When that doesn't happen it feels the shortcut isn't working. Did you change anything in au3.properties of have anything defined in SciTEUSer.properties that might cause this?

Jos 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I have no recollection of changing anything in au3.properties; in fact I was careful not to change anything in this file; however, the version on my PC dates from 2015-02-16 and. I see # Feb 2015 - Jos  on line 3 while the latest version contains # Aug 2, 2015 - Jos on line 3.

Further, the version now on my PC has on line 53

command.compile.$(au3)="$(SciteDefaultHome)\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /ShowGui /in "$(FilePath)"

while in the version that shows when I click on au3.properties has on line 53 (the last line)

command.compile.$(au3)="$(SciteDefaultHome)\..\AutoIt3.exe" "$(Scite

The 2015-02-16 version has lines 54 thru 381. The latest version does not have these lines. I expect that line 54 on are probably in the file, but don't show in Firefox 42.0. I deduce this from clicking on au3.api: Firefox does not show the whole file.

I am surprised that au3.properties was not overwritten when I downloaded the latest version of SciTE4AutoIt a few days back.

I did change SciTEUSer.properties -- C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\SciTEUser.properties. After

openpath.$(au3)=$(SciteDefaultHome)\..\include;

in line 34 I added:

# added by Chris
# print black text on white background
print.colour.mode=2
print.magnification=-2
# Auto indent stuff
#~ indent.size.$(au3)=4
block.start.$(au3)=5 case if do for func else elseif while with\
                    Case If Do For Func Else ElseIf While With\
                    CASE IF DO FOR FUNC ELSE ELSEIF WHILE WITH
block.end.$(au3)=5 case else endif elseif endfunc next until wend endwith\
                  Case Else EndIf ElseIf EndFunc Next Until Wend WEnd EndWith\
                  CASE ELSE ENDIF ELSEIF ENDFUNC NEXT UNTIL WEND ENDWITH
backup.files=0
highlight.current.word=1
highlight.current.word.by.style=1
highlight.current.word.autoselectword=0
highlight.current.word.wholeword=0
highlight.current.word.matchcase=0
highlight.current.word.minlength=3
caret.line.back.alpha=256
style.error.1=fore:#FF0000,back:#FFFF00
style.error.2=fore:#FFFFFF,back:#FF0000
highlight.current.word.colour=#00D040
indicators.alpha=63
calltips.set.above=0
style.au3.38=fore:#050505,back:#FFFFFF
calltips.color.highlight=#FF0000
visible.policy.strict=1
visible.policy.lines=0
style.au3.16=fore:#000000,back:#F0F4F9
title.full.path=1

The Auto indent stuff was my attempt to get indenting working the way I like it.

I see nothing here that would cause Ctrl-Alt_F5 not to run AutoitWrapper. Perhaps you do.

...chris

Edited by c.haslam
Spoiler

I tripped over why Ctl-Alt_F5 was not working.

• Task Manager showed hkcmd.exe as running as a process
  • neuber.com told me that it is part of Intel Graphics
  • I moused Control Panel > Intel Graphics and Medial Control Panel > Advanced Mode > Options and Support > Hotkey Manager > Hot key functionality
  • I unchecked Enable
  • I clicked on Apply
  • I chose to Keep settings
  • hkcmd.exe was still running
  • In SciTE, Ctrl_Alt_F5 now runs AutoIt3Wrapper
Spoiler