Sign in to follow this  
Kharizmah

UIAutomation getParentElement of located object

Kharizmah

I have been successfully automating a WPF program using the UIAWrapper.au3 file.

However some panel elements appear in panels to where they need to be scrolled down to.

Nevertheless, I can still invoke buttons and access fields that are not visible on screen.

The problem comes with the datagrid.  I can locate the grid, dump all the children and locate the specific element by the text in the field.

It will locate it in the panel even if it is not on screen. However, I cannot select it using _UIA_action if it isn't visible. As it is part of a row and not a button, I cannot invoke it.

The parent element has no unique identifiers. 

The parent element has a row element.

Since I can locate the element by text. Is there someway that I can say,  $thisElement.GetParentElement($oParent) or $thisElement.GetFirstAncestor($oParent)

My hope is through this I can get the Row where that element falls.  Then I can select the first grid element and arrow down to that row.

Edited by Kharizmah

Kharizmah

It's alright I found a workaround.

I just iterate through the children by row.

Then for each row look for the text in it's children. This option is slow, but it works. 

I was hoping I could just look all the way straight down for the child and then up to getParent to figure out the row#.

@junkew

Edited by Kharizmah

JLogan3o13

@Kharizmah please take note of where you're posting in the future; the Examples forum you posted in clearly states it is not a General Support forum. I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum.

√-1 2^3 ∑ π, and it was delicious!

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Kharizmah

Thanks for moving my post.

However, I would like to notify you that I did not clearly post in the Example forum.

I hit the Start New Topic. 

I don't recall what thread I was in but it was another thread having to do with Automation.  

JLogan3o13

@Kharizmah, the IUIAutomation post you were in is in the Examples forum, so when you hit Start New Topic, guess where it places it? Not an issue, just something to keep in mind for the future; with your topic in the correct forum you will get more eyes on the problem, and more people to assist :)

√-1 2^3 ∑ π, and it was delicious!

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Kharizmah

@JLogan3o13 That's cool and totally makes sense.  I'll use the +Create button from now on.  I didn't even pay attention to the forum path. :P

All I know is: Google->Search:AutoIt Automation yourProblem 

junkew

if you have an element it should not be hard to get the parent. Its just a treewalker. Study simplespy.au3 its exactly doing what you want

1. ctrl+w identifies the element

2. get a treewalker

3. pas your known element to the treewalker getparentelement method

spy then iterates thru all parents and grandparents until desktop is found

;~ consolewrite("Element from point is passed, trying to convert to object ")
    $oUIElement = objcreateinterface($UIA_pUIElement,$sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement)

;~ Walk thru the tree with a treewalker
    $UIA_oUIAutomation.RawViewWalker($UIA_pTW)
    $oTW=ObjCreateInterface($UIA_pTW, $sIID_IUIAutomationTreeWalker, $dtagIUIAutomationTreeWalker)
    If IsObj($oTW) = 0 Then
        msgbox(1,"UI automation treewalker failed", "UI Automation failed failed",10)
    EndIf

;~  at least 1 assumed (assuming we are not spying the desktop)
    $i=0
    $oTW.getparentelement($oUIElement,$oparentHandle[$i])
    $oParentHandle[$i]=objcreateinterface($oparentHandle[$i],$sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement)
    If IsObj($oParentHandle[$i]) = 0 Then
        msgbox(1,"No parent", "UI Automation failed could be you spy the desktop",10)
    Else

Kharizmah

Thanks I will totally look into the script for SimpleSpy.au3, most I try to study the UIWrapper.au3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• spikespaz
      By spikespaz
      The rule against game automation is misguided and unhelpful for the following reasons.

I am a developer, using AutoIt to automate testing for a game that I am developing. Singleplayer games can be mundane and sometimes cheating can be overlooked. Multiplayer games usually have anticheat against repetitive robotic actions anyways. People want to override the control schemes of games with bad customization. Eg. Axiom Verge, Fortnite (Crouching). Game automation is not always bad. If the user feels the need to automate a singleplayer game for boring or mundane tasks, that is their choice. Similarly, if I wish to use scripts to automate testing, that is my choice.
      Game automation can be a problem for online multiplayer games, giving players a competitive advantage. This could be countered by common sense; ask OP what game they are automating, and is it an online game? What is this script for, and what does it seem to do?

Please revise the rule as it seems very unnecessary and harmful to people seeking help with innocent attempts at game automation.
    • milkmoron
      By milkmoron
      https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/153520-iuiautomation-ms-framework-automate-chrome-ff-ie/?do=findComment&comment=1156373 At least we have an element title: [Entered By:] class: [WindowsForms10.EDIT.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1] Having the following values for all properties: Title is: <Entered By:> Class := <WindowsForms10.EDIT.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1> controltype:= <UIA_EditControlTypeId> ,<50004> , (0000C354) 322;370;736;184 *** Parent Information top down *** 3: Title is: <View Activity> Class := <WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1> controltype:= <UIA_WindowControlTypeId> ,<50032> , (0000C370) 306;72;784;605 "Title:=View Activity;controltype:=UIA_WindowControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1"" 2: Title is: <> Class := <WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1> controltype:= <UIA_PaneControlTypeId> ,<50033> , (0000C371) 314;103;768;542 "Title:=;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1"" 1: Title is: <> Class := <WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1> controltype:= <UIA_PaneControlTypeId> ,<50033> , (0000C371) 314;103;749;451 "Title:=;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1"" 0: Title is: <Delete> Class := <WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1> controltype:= <UIA_PaneControlTypeId> ,<50033> , (0000C371) 314;122;749;432 "Title:=Delete;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1"" ;~ *** Standard code maintainable *** #include "UIAWrappers.au3" AutoItSetOption("MustDeclareVars", 1) _UIA_setVar("oP1","Title:=View Activity;controltype:=UIA_WindowControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1") ;View Activity _UIA_setVar("oP2","Title:=;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1") ; _UIA_setVar("oP3","Title:=;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1") ; _UIA_setVar("oP4","Title:=Delete;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1") ;Delete _UIA_setVar("EnteredBy:.mainwindow","title:=Entered By:;classname:=WindowsForms10.EDIT.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1") ;~ Actions split away from logical/technical definition above can come from configfiles ;~_UIA_Action("oP1","highlight") _UIA_Action("oP1","setfocus") ;~_UIA_Action("oP2","highlight") _UIA_Action("oP2","setfocus") ;~_UIA_Action("oP3","highlight") _UIA_Action("oP3","setfocus") ;~_UIA_Action("oP4","highlight") _UIA_Action("oP4","setfocus") _UIA_action("EnteredBy:.mainwindow","setfocus") ;~ *** Standard code Flexible*** #include "UIAWrappers.au3" AutoItSetOption("MustDeclareVars", 1) Local $oP3=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($UIA_oDesktop, "Title:=View Activity;controltype:=UIA_WindowControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1", $treescope_children) _UIA_Action($oP3,"setfocus") Local $oP2=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP3, "Title:=;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1", $treescope_children) _UIA_Action($oP2,"setfocus") Local $oP1=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP2, "Title:=;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1", $treescope_children) _UIA_Action($oP1,"setfocus") Local $oP0=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP1, "Title:=Delete;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1", $treescope_children) _UIA_Action($oP0,"setfocus") _UIA_setVar("EnteredBy:.mainwindow","title:=Entered By:;classname:=WindowsForms10.EDIT.app.0.30495d1_r9_ad1") _UIA_action("EnteredBy:.mainwindow","setfocus") Need some help selecting this defining it as a variable to save and then insert the text within, to the same application but different account.
    • TheSaint
      By TheSaint
      TeraCopy Timer - A program of mine, front end really, that I have been working on (on & off) for some time, but not shared here before, that I recall. Third party program TeraCopy is required.
      Many of you will be familiar with TeraCopy, and it has been discussed here at AF on several occasions, in various sub forums, including Chat.
      BE ADVISED - I still use an older version of TeraCopy (v2.27), a goody but an oldy, so have only tested my program with that. It may work with the newer v3.xx, or may be easily adjusted to do so, but I have not yet gone that route. Likewise, I only use it with Win 7 and Win XP, but I don't imagine there should be any issues with newer Windows. Add to that, my program being devised and created in AutoIt v3.3.0.0.
      So what is TeraCopy Timer and why might you need it?
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Those familiar with TeraCopy use, know you can run multiple copy or move jobs either simultaneously or concurrently (one immediately after another has finished). With the free version at least, you have no control over precise order or timing, and no way to deal (without manual interaction) with the pesky Thumbs.db files in Win XP. TeraCopy Timer allows you to do all those things, and in a batch fashion.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Some screenshots and brief explanation
      Main Window
      Minimalist Window
      This new WAIT feature is the simplest and best way to use the program generally (in my view) ... but check out the following, as it is not always the case.
      Advanced Delay Window
      WARNING - It should go without saying, that you take all the usual precautions. For instance, don't use move with the only copy you have of precious files. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP! Don't hold me liable for anything, except for being a nice guy who likes to share.
      TeraCopy Timer v2.8.zip  (see detail at Post #34)
      TeraCopy Timer v2.9.zip  (see detail at Post #35)
      Enjoy!
      OLDER DOWNLOADS
      P.S. I am not affiliated in any way with those who created and provide the excellent third party program - TeraCopy.
    • Earthshine
      By Earthshine
      This is pretty useful to me at least, I hope to others. Whenever you need to poke a button or such on a GUI, you can just make calls to this UDF and instruct it how long to wait, 0 is forever, anyway, let the code to the explaining. Feel free to help expand this UDF. I plan to create new ones as I go along that support all the Win32 and .NET Controls. Ultimately, I would like to be able to fully control any type of control, this works well with most. Just an example of what you can do.

The test installs and can uninstall 7-Zip 15.14 (x64) Setup.exe
      NOTE: Logger Author(s) .....: Michael Mims (zorphnog)
      ;                    the logging script can be obtained here
      ;                   https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/156196-log4a-a-logging-udf/

WaitForControls.au3
      install_7zip_test.au3
    • rcmaehl
      By rcmaehl
      A UDF to connect and control Cisco Finesse on the Local Network via it's provided HTTP API

Current Features:
      Heavyweight
      * Large feature set, containing most Finesse Desktop API functions  
      PLANNED Features:
      Heavyweight
      * Control over own Status as well as Supervisor functionality
        Helpful Premade Examples Files
      * Examples for almost every function
      * Premade CUI and GUI clients showing 
        Ready for all users, beginner and up
      * Detailed Error Reporting to help pin-point problems
      * Thorough parameter checking to prevent accidental script crashes