Array declaration error (new behavior): Can not initialize a variable with itself

jguinch

Hello all.

Sometimes, i use this kind of array declaration :

Local $a = [1, $a[0] ]

This method of declaration worked before (I don't know which version, few monthes ago).

Is it a desired behavior, or a bug ?

• Moderators

jguinch,

I am quite surprised that you say it used to work - I seem to remember this being discussed some time ago and the general consensus at the time was that such behaviour was not a good idea. So I would say: "feature", not "bug"

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Moderators

jguinch,

It seems my memory was not correct in this instance - sorry to have misled you.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

no problem Melba ^_^

Now, I agree with trancexx : something should appear in the help file about this breaking change... Perhaps I should create a ticket in the bug tracker ?

Ahh, note it is possible do use something like this to skip this restriction :

Local $a = [1, Execute("$a[0]") ]

That isn't a viable solution because Execute() interprets the input as if it were a string - who knows what kind of data that will return.

I also have to agree with trancexx: it seems odd that this doesn't simply work out of the box. I am surprised that this (apparently logical) syntax no longer works.

Edited by czardas

Yes czardas, I tought about that. I made some tests before my previous post and it seems to be not so bad : 

#include <Array.au3>

Local $b = [1, "a", ObjCreate("shell.application"), WinList(), True, Binary("0x00204060") , DllStructCreate("int;"), WinGetHandle("[ACTIVE]"), MsgBox, 3.14159, 50, _ 
            Execute("$b[0]"), Execute("$b[1]"), Execute("$b[2]"), Execute("$b[3]"), Execute("$b[4]"), Execute("$b[5]"), Execute("$b[6]"), Execute("$b[7]"), Execute("$b[8]"), Execute("$b[9]") ]

ConsoleWrite("$b[11] is an integer ? "  & IsInt($b[11]) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("$b[12] is a string ? "    & IsString($b[12]) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("$b[13] is an object ? "   & IsObj($b[13]) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("$b[14] is an array ? "    & IsArray($b[14]) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("$b[15] is boolean ? "     & IsBool($b[15]) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("$b[16] is binary ? "      & IsBinary($b[16]) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("$b[17] is a structure ? " & IsDllStruct($b[17]) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("$b[18] is a handle ? "    & IsHWnd($b[18]) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("$b[18] is pointer ? "     & IsPtr($b[18]) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("$b[19] is function ? "    & IsFunc($b[19]) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("$b[20] is float ? "       & IsFloat($b[20]) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("$b[21] is number ? "      & IsNumber($b[21]) & @CRLF)

_ArrayDisplay($b)

Logical, because you use Local to declare the variable, so it's like the first use...

This one works :

Local $a = [1]
Local $a[ $a[0] ] = [2]

Edited by jguinch

I wasn't aware of these restrictions on variable redeclaration. I thought the full expression was parsed evaluated before any impact on the original. That would seem consistent (syntax).

;Local $sStr = "string"
;Local $sStr = $sStr & $sStr ; error

$sStr = "string"
$sStr = $sStr & $sStr ; assignment works alright here

Edit: Perhaps it's just simpler for things to be the way they are.

Edited by czardas

I revise what I said in post #8. This is less intuitive than I at first thought: self-referencing (previous post) is not the same as back-referencing (first post). The syntax simply looked as though it ought to do something, although I haven't used it myself. I can see it being useful in both cases, but I don't know how other languages deal with this kind of thing.

• Moderators

Hi,

I have been racking my ageing brain trying to come up with a use case when such a "self-initialisation" functionality would be required - and signally failing to do so. The other thread participants appear to believe that the functionality should still exist, so could one of them please provide a sensible real-world example - rather than the "fun" scripts linked to in post #4 above.

M23

Spoiler

The code that was referenced earlier, my code, worked in v3.3.12.0 (just tested it a second a go). So seems to be a bug with the latest version.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018