Muting commercials

trurl

WatchESPN uses Adobe flash, and shows a message saying 'commercial break in progress' (or something) and plays annoying music where the commercials should be.  I would like to detect this and auto-mute.  Do you think it is best to try a pixel or OCR match to look for the text, or maybe try to detect the music?  Any ideas for a general approach would be appreciated.

Adblock doesn't work for this?

Nope.  I think there would need to be actual ads for that to happen.  They don't have ads on the web version of ESPN, just the filler material I mentioned to fill the time when the cable version has commercials.

Okay, I will interpret silence to mean I should use pixels.  I know y'all have an aversion to talking about pixels in case some punk uses the tech to make the ultimate Dig Dug bot.

I'll give it a shot and report how it goes.

Does something change in the html when a commercial is played? Autoit needs to detect a change for an action to be triggered. Pixels is a great way to do it. Digging into the code for the website would be better. 

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html

Digging into the code for the website would be better. 

agreed, but if no change is found at the HTML source code, then here's another direction:

detect the annoying sound to trigger your script into action- mute it, or preferably just lower the volume, so your script can detect the ending of that sound, to trigger the rollback to normal volume level.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

I hate sports and I'm watching this channel and I am at a complete loss. I dont see anything that identifies that it is in commercial mode. The autoit info tool provides no help. There are a huge amount of commercials. There's even commercials popping up during the game. 

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html