Exporting a gui/form to MS Word

Flashz

There's this checklist I usually go through for pc's and I've decided to write a script that queries the system and will display a GUI with the correct checkboxes checked. This is the easy part. Now I need a way of saving that GUI output to MS WORD or some other way to save it.

I thought of a way to run a script on the system. One exe file to query the system and edit an au3 file to set the correct states of the checkboxes, then compile it to an exe.

This will work as a second option, but the best one will be to save it in a printable and editable format like MS Word.

Btw, is there an easy way to send the open GUI displaying the system's checklist to a printer?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, specially exporting the GUI content to MS Word.

There's this checklist I usually go through for pc's and I've decided to write a script that queries the system and will display a GUI with the correct checkboxes checked. This is the easy part. Now I need a way of saving that GUI output to MS WORD or some other way to save it.

I thought of a way to run a script on the system. One exe file to query the system and edit an au3 file to set the correct states of the checkboxes, then compile it to an exe.

This will work as a second option, but the best one will be to save it in a printable and editable format like MS Word.

Btw, is there an easy way to send the open GUI displaying the system's checklist to a printer?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, specially exporting the GUI content to MS Word.

When your script has populated,the check boxes your script knows or has known the status of all the check boxes. Just write the data to a file as the script is populating the check boxes. If you're the only one using it, put the file on the network. If you make it comma delimited, when you get back to your desk, you can open it in Excel or Access and arrange or report it in any way that seems useful.

If the network is unavailable or you're not the only one using the script, carry a jump drive or diskette with you and let the script write to that. Don't read anything from the jump drive or diskette at any PC you visit and be sure to Virus check it before you read anything from it at your PC.

Check out

FileOpen ( "filename", mode )

#include <File.au3>

_FileWriteFromArray($sFilePath, $a_Array [,$i_Base [, $i_UBound ]])

FileWrite ( filehandle or "filename", "line" )

FileWriteLine ( filehandle or "filename", "line" )

IniWrite ( "filename", "section", "key", "value" )

and the corresponding "Read" functions in the Help File.

[font="Verdana"]Thanks for the response.Gene[/font]Yes, I know the punctuation is not right...

Thanks for the reply... I'm trying to find a way to export it with the checkboxes too.

If I create the au3 file and convert it to an exe, how do I print what's shown on the screen without having to copy and paste?

I don't understand why you want to do that, but that doesn't matter. Someone, I don't remember who, has published a screen capture script or plugin or dll. Search the forum for "capture" it should turn up. Also someone may read the thread and remember who did and/or where it is.

[font="Verdana"]Thanks for the response.Gene[/font]Yes, I know the punctuation is not right...

Currently, the checklist I have is being completed manually by going to the pc and looking at all the settings. What I'm trying to do is keep the form format the same. Just run the script to query the system and check the appropriate boxes. It's easier to keep the same look as the original form instead of saving all the output to a text file and going through it again to fill the checklist manually.

My only concern is how to print it out, with page breaks, like a normal document.

Thanks again for your replies.

Currently, the checklist I have is being completed manually by going to the pc and looking at all the settings. What I'm trying to do is keep the form format the same. Just run the script to query the system and check the appropriate boxes. It's easier to keep the same look as the original form instead of saving all the output to a text file and going through it again to fill the checklist manually.

My only concern is how to print it out, with page breaks, like a normal document.

Thanks again for your replies.

Rather than look for a screen capture method, I'd write a facsimile of the screen to an HTML file, or if you are doing multple PCs append each one after the first to the HTML file. Then run the HTML with the start command so whatever browser is there will open it. With a little trial and error you can figure out how to get the page breaks where you want them. That should fill the bill you have outlined.

B)

Edit: With a little more effort you could get fancy and write a link at the top of the HTML file to a bookmark/anchor at the PCs listing so you wouldn't need to scroll or search through it.

Edited by Gene