How do you make UDF's?

I'm new to scripting and Autoit, but i've already found some things that I would like to create. Where do you start when creating a UDF?

For instance, if I wanted to make a UDF for Excel(I know one exists) Where would I start? What would I need to start researching?

Any input would be appreciated

I depends:
Do you want to make an UDF just for yourself or should it be useful for the community as well?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I depends:
Do you want to make an UDF just for yourself or should it be useful for the community as well?

i doubt that's a beneficial segregation. if you train yourself to write a fully-qualified UDF, following all formal standards, then it will also be very much easier for yourself to use, develop and troubleshoot, even if you never share it. also it is much easier for the community to help you with your UDF when written by the standards.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

@orbs ,

I think water's comment is the result of his curiosity. Because, he is the master mind behind current excel udf. So he want to know what is lacking in the current excel udf. 

Edited by kcvinu
Spoiler

My Contributions

Glance GUI Library - A gui library based on Windows api functions. Written in Nim programming language.

UDF Link Viewer   --- A tool to visit the links of some most important UDFs 

Includer_2  ----- A tool to type the #include statement automatically 

Digits To Date  ----- date from 3 integer values

PrintList ----- prints arrays into console for testing.

Alert  ------ An alternative for MsgBox 

MousePosition ------- A simple tooltip display of mouse position

GRM Helper -------- A littile tool to help writing code with GUIRegisterMsg function

Access_UDF  -------- An UDF for working with access database files. (.*accdb only)

he is master mind behind current excel udf. So he want to know what is lacking the current excel udf

Is he a thief or something? :P

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

@kcvinu

indeed, but the OP does not know that, and water's hint may well lead him astray.

Edited by orbs

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

@orbs , Yeah, that's true. 

@TheDcoder , What ?  Does that word means like that ?. Oh my poor English. I just meant that, that udf is water's brain child. 

Spoiler

My Contributions

Glance GUI Library - A gui library based on Windows api functions. Written in Nim programming language.

UDF Link Viewer   --- A tool to visit the links of some most important UDFs 

Includer_2  ----- A tool to type the #include statement automatically 

Digits To Date  ----- date from 3 integer values

PrintList ----- prints arrays into console for testing.

Alert  ------ An alternative for MsgBox 

MousePosition ------- A simple tooltip display of mouse position

GRM Helper -------- A littile tool to help writing code with GUIRegisterMsg function

Access_UDF  -------- An UDF for working with access database files. (.*accdb only)

also, here is another good resource from the AutoIt Wiki.

https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/User_Defined_Functions

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

i doubt that's a beneficial segregation. if you train yourself to write a fully-qualified UDF, following all formal standards, then it will also be very much easier for yourself to use, develop and troubleshoot, even if you never share it. also it is much easier for the community to help you with your UDF when written by the standards.

Not just curiosity.
If I would have to write an UDF just for myself I'm sure I would try to adhere to the standards when writing (naming of variables etc.). But I'm sure I wouldn't invest as much time into writing the help file and examples. As I have written the UDF I'm very familiar with the subject and do not need as much explanation and examples as a newbie.
That's why I asked.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

@orbs ,

I think water's comment is the result of his curiosity. Because, he is the master mind behind current excel udf. So he want to know what is lacking in the current excel udf.

No, my question was of general nature. Not related to my Excel/ExcelChart/Word/Outlook/PowerPoint UDF ;)
But I'm always open for suggestions on how to improve the "official" UDFs.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

@kcvinu Was joking :)

May I remind you that this isn't the Chat forum?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki