Virtualbox and snapshot

JohnOne

Is anyone familiar with virtualbox?

I can't seem to find answer I'm looking for/

I'm trying to find out if when I take a snapshot, the actual guest OS is saved as it is, and subsequent changes can be reverted, particularly the registry. If I change some values, add or remove keys after a snapshot, will it be restored to before I did?

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

@JohnOne Snapshot restores all the data on the disk + RAM... Its like a picture taken with a camera :P

Or a Time Machine :blink:

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

Okay, I think I still don't get it.

I created a snapshot, and all it did was rename my "Win_10_Pro" to "Win_10_Pro (snapshot Win_10_Pro_virgin_Install)"

And all I can do is start it again.

I don't get it, I thought I would be able to start "Win_10_Pro" and "Win_10_Pro (snapshot Win_10_Pro_virgin_Install)" would be saved somewhere.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

• Moderators

J1, how many total snapshots do you have? VBox is a little squirrely when it comes to reverting to snapshots. Perhaps a screenshot of your tree?

VBox.thumb.png.8236deaa1fa52baf7a48f3f95

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

Yes, the first snapshot should be your "base image". Then when you have everything configured as you see fit, take another snapshot from the current state so you have something to revert to once you want to roll back changes.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

Major bummer.

I made another snapshot, so now I have two, started the 2nd, made some changes, shut guest down, pressed button to delete second.

And it merged it with the first, now I have to start again :(

Edited by JohnOne

• Moderators

Yes, sorry should have mentioned vbox is a bit of a butt when it comes to snapshots. If you are deleting snapshots without wanting to merge you have to start with the latest snapshot and work your way backward or they will merge, whereas VMware Workstation does just what you would intuitively expect, deletes just that snapshot. So if you have 5 snapshots and want to save number 2, you have to delete #5, then #4, then #3. You can also do something like this:

Example, you start with 4 snapshots, want to revert to snapshot 2 and delete 3 and 4.

• Choose Snapshot 2 and select "Restore Snapshot".
  • This will produce a "Current State" item beneath Snapshot 2.
  • You can then safely delete snapshots 3 and 4 without merging.