_Array1DToHistogram default behavior ?

iamtheky

Ive never used it before but imo, the default return should go ( ...-3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3...)  not (...0 -3 -2 -1 3 2 1...)

#include<array.au3>

Local $aNEW[] = [0, -80, -49, -44, 80, 100, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1]
Local $aArray = _Array1DToHistogram($aNEW, 125)
_ArrayDisplay($aArray, "_Array1DToHistogram")

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

• Moderators

iamtheky,

I am afraid I do not understand your comment. When I run that code I get the histogram in the order of the elements of the original array, which is what I would expect. Why do you feel the return should be numerically ordered?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

because i was throwing data at it that is difficult to set to number and sort prior...so if this had an option to sort the output for me.....histograms made with text just may end up in a script.  Splunk is making sexy sparklines with the data, but plaintext emails are a necessary evil.

*I also didnt realize that was the order that it was being sent, makes total sense.  My request is then to enhance this function.

edit2:  though in those 5 minutes i figured out a way to do it on the output from console rather than have to loop through all those arrays again, still would be nice to have a sort flag. :)

Edited by iamtheky

• Moderators

iamtheky,

if you find it "difficult to set to number and sort prior" when you already know what is in the array, how do you expect the function to cope when it has no idea of the content?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

If the function sorts anything in any order, it isn't an histogram anymore (the prefix "histo" is meaningful here), just a pseudo-graphical representation of ordered numerical data as a increaing / decreasing function.

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

the prefix is just 'masts of the ship' or 'bars of a loom' , I would say making them horizontal leaves them less 'histo-' than sorting them.

A histogram of items that all occurred simultaneously (as with the events I am pulling from the SIEM) is going to have to pick a value to be sorted by, the order of entry into the array from the sources is just as arbitrary as a sort by the values.  Taking the extra step to sort them prior to running them through this func is no issue, I was just wanting a shortcut built in.

If you put the array into an _ArraySort before sending it to the histogram function it comes out the way you want it to.

BTW, the array isn't horizontal or vertical, it's just the _ArrayDisplay showing the contents of the array, if you want them to display vertically, you'd have to create your own display routine to do it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

drawing those characters vertical would be brutal.  The arraysort was a biatch (at first) because i had half the data coming back as strings and didnt realize it.  Fixing that prior to storage now.

13 hours ago, BrewManNH said:

BTW, the array isn't horizontal or vertical..

The Histogram function is very much drawing horizontal bars.  I would have to change both Funcs (or at least __Array_StringRepeat).

31 minutes ago, iamtheky said:

The Histogram function is very much drawing horizontal bars.  I would have to change both Funcs (or at least __Array_StringRepeat).

As I said before, what is in the array isn't horizontal OR vertical, it's just data. How you display it determines whether you're displaying it horizontally or vertically, ArrayDisplay "draws" it horizontally, the histogram function itself doesn't draw anything, it just fills the array with blocks that represent the numbers you feed it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I dont even want that, I was just antagonizing the "histo-" prefix suggestion.

but the words on your page are horizontal, 

u

n

l

e

s

s

you write them differently....awesome.  Simply changing the properties of the listview would not be enough as everything before that is expecting a normal array.  Maybe headers that can be unlimited, then single character width columns that wrap the text, but you would be better off rewriting it all at that point.

Edited by iamtheky

At this point, you've totally lost me as to what you're trying to say.

There is no listview, that's just how _ArrayDisplay works, but that doesn't mean you have to use a listview to display it. Use a label, or an edit control, or convert it to a bmp, or anything else you can think of to display it. It's just text, so manipulate however you need it.

I can get it vertical, cant figure out why if the value is over 9 it duplicates the second to last entry.   Also, initial efforts to get either a columned view, or even just tab delimited into an plain text message have failed (efforts into an rtf also failed, not as miserably but formatting is still jacked).  Converting to anything other than plain text / Ascii art would defeat the purpose.

msgbox(0, '' , __Array_StringRepeat(chrw(0x2588) , 19))

Func __Array_StringRepeat($sString, $iRepeatCount)
    $sValue = $iRepeatCount
    ; Casting Int() takes care of String/Int, Numbers.
    $iRepeatCount = Int($iRepeatCount)
    ; Zero is a valid repeat integer.
    If StringLen($sString) < 1 Or $iRepeatCount <= 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, "")
    Local $sResult = ""
    While $iRepeatCount > 1
        If BitAND($iRepeatCount, 1) Then $sResult &= $sString
        $sString &= @LF & $sString
        $iRepeatCount = BitShift($iRepeatCount, 1)
    WEnd
    Return $sString & $sResult & @LF & $sValue
EndFunc

Edited by iamtheky