Can I get MS Paint to do what I need by means of AutoIt?

PPI

1 hour ago, mikell said:

This topic is becoming totally surrealist   :D

You try to catch up with something that you have never seen before, with no time at your disposal, and fighting bureaucracy every minute... >_<

@Melba23 thank you so much! When I write in forums, I have a tendency to use smileys and a "colorful" style, not to over-dramatize, but rather to try to make my writing less cold and "impersonal" :rolleyes: I am absolutely calm, even more at work... After all, while I was giving my rating exam in the TWR (GROUND position), a shuttle bus took fire at the side of an aircraft, with passengers already boarded, right before my eyes, so I guess I had a helluva "baptism"... :whistle: (oh, I past the exam on first try! o:):thumbsup: )

Edited by PPI

Keep it simple, stupid.

sorry for this late interruption, but i read the task at first post, and it seems you can accomplish it quite easily with Microsoft Picture Manager (yeah, that otherwise-useless application shipped with Microsoft Office). have a look here - a short reading, but will get you just where you want to go:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Crop-or-edit-multiple-pictures-at-once-in-Picture-Manager-007d0fef-4e8b-4b9b-976b-16281eb211e8

anyway, welcome to AutoIt and to the forum! if you are planning on doing a lot of scripting, and a minimum learning curve in favorable, then AutoIt is definitely the tool of choice.

EDIT: i now read that you are on tight schedule, so let me sum-up:

1) very important! create a backup of your set of images. put all workable copies of the images set in a dedicated folder.

2) Open Microsoft Picture Manager, direct it to the folder mentioned above.

3) switch from the default "Single Picture View" to "Thumbnail view", so you get to see all the images at once.

4) select all images.

5) edit one image as you see fit. editing will apply to all images.

6) save the edited images.

7) optional, but very likely: check the result, see that it's not quite how you wanted it. delete the folder and repeat the process using the backup you made on step 1. you did make a backup, right? ;)

Edited by orbs

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

@PPI,

and here i was thinking i was the last IT guy on the western civilization still running Windows 2000... ;)

my suggestion does not involve using AutoIt. however if you are running Windows 2000, then most likely you are running an old version of Microsoft Office as well, with Photo Editor not included (if you have any Microsoft Office installed at all).

i'm guessing your Windows 2000 machine is in production environment, where upgrades/updates/installations are limited (if allowed at all). i advise you set-up a non-production machine for this task, running a modern OS. not unfamiliar with bureaucracy, i'm aware you are not allowed to do so yourself, so make your IT guys do it. ask your manager to speak up for you, so you make it happen. you will probably be using it in the future for other needs.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

Damn! Just installed Autoit onto the Windows XP machine, and right now it's being migrated to Windows 7! :mad2: Will have to redo the whole thing from the beginning :mad: At least the deadline about this video (i.e. the series of pictures) has been delayed, as it's obvious that I cannot finish by the end of this week... so I'll have a bit more time to study the best approach to the problem.

Keep it simple, stupid.