How to open multiple files in only one instance of the corresponding program?

Hi friends,

Suppose MyProgram is a tabbed program, meaning that it allows for opening multiple files in the same instance.

I want to open File1, File2 and File3 in one instance of MyProgram from an AutoIT script. How can I do this?

I have read the AutoIT Help File about "ShellExecute" and "Run", but I have found nothing helpful.

Thanks for reading my question. Any answer would be very appreciated.

This thread has some approaches you can see using AutoIt.

Generally the pattern sounds like the tabbed application that would display a file per tab would be considered the Primary Instance of the application.  Other copies of the program that just pass the command line on to the Primary are considered Secondary instances.  They pass on the command line params, then exit.

The are many forms of Interprocess Communication or IPC that can be used on Windows.  The thread I linked has some done in AutoIt.  But you could roll your own using Windows API calls via the DllCall function.

Hi Kylomas, pls see MilesAhead's post to understand my question more clearly. Thank you.

Hi MilesAhead, thank you for your answer. This seems to be complicated if we use just AutoIT to accomplish this task. I decided to combine AutoIT and a Windows batch file to achieve the same task, but with a simpler programming skill required.

Edited by bobbyab9987

How are you getting your list of files?

How are you opening the files? Command-line or browsing etc.

If browsing, then look at the options for FileOpenDialog command in the 4th (Options) parameter - Multiselect.

Command-line is possibly even simpler, providing you supply all the elements correctly (quotes etc).

Other than that, I suggest you search for exactly what you want or provide some basic code that we can work with, especially so that we can get a clearer understanding of what you need.

It shouldn't be that complicated, providing you understand a few basics. In fact, it seems to me that adding a batch file is only adding complexity ... but then I'm not entirely sure of what you are wanting to do.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Iraj
      Hello Team, Greetings!
      Is there any way to run any 3rd party application silently in background without the GUI getting in the front ?
      I was implementing angry-ip scanner with autoit & wanted the angry-ip application to run in background quietly as I am copying its output to other file on completion. is there any way to achieve my query?
      Below is code I tried: 
      $range = "192.168.0.1 192.168.0.255" ShellExecuteWait("C:\Windows\DDM\ipscan.exe","-f:range "&$iprange&" -q -o C:\temp\ScanResults.csv","","open",@SW_HIDE) Thanks!
    • By Iraj
      Hi Team,
      Greetings!

One silly doubt, I need to pass one parameter using RunWait to write an output to a file using Cmd Line, but the below isn't writing to the file specified. Kindly assist.
      $pass = $CmdLine[1] $CMD = "C:\Progra~1\bin\Encrypt.exe" &$pass& " > C:\temp\pwd.txt" #write the parameter $pass in C:\temp\pwd.txt RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & $CMD,"",@SW_HIDE) Thank you!!
    • By Doniel
      Hi there! 😃
      I've 2 simple scripts:
      Script 1 starts script 2 Script 1 gets executed with normal user rights (un-elevated) Script 2 contains an #RequireAdmin and therefor can only start elevated I want to read the output of script 2 with script 1 AND have the UAC of script 2 being activated as fullscreen Script 1 (Scripts location is the same as script 2 that I'm running with Run()
      Local $iPID, $sOutput $iPID = Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & "C:\Entwicklung\Autoit\Test\Temp.exe", @ScriptDir, @SW_HIDE, 0x2) ProcessWaitClose($iPID) $sOutput = StdoutRead($iPID) StdioClose($iPID) ConsoleWrite($sOutput) MsgBox(1, 1, 1) Script 2 (compiled as Temp.exe)
      #RequireAdmin ConsoleWrite("Return") MsgBox(1,1,"ADMIN") Now my problems are the following:
      Without the #RequireAdmin I can read the output with no problem, but not with the #RequireAdmin ($sOutput is empty) Using @SW_HIDE in the Run() command makes the UAC always start minimized (see attached picture) and the admin has to always manually click on the icon to enter his credentials since the UAC doesn't start in fullscreen. Here and on a few other sites they explain that the program launching the elevated program NEEDS to be activated in order to directly show the UAC fullscreen and not minimized. Using @SW_SHOW would get rid of the problem, BUT that leaves me with an ugly cmd.exe floating the whole time while the elevated script ist running. And my questions to that I'm seeking an answer for are:
      Problem 1: Is it just not possible to read from an elevated program with an un-elevated user/script? I also get the Access Denied if I press No on the UAC as an Output in $sOutput (Guess since its's still un-elevated) Problem 2: Is there a way to either make the floating black and blank cmd.exe being moved to the background and be non visible to the user OR to somehow bring the minimized UAC to the foreground/fullscreen? What I already tried and what didn't help me:
      $iPID = Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & "C:\Entwicklung\Autoit\Test\Temp.exe", @ScriptDir, @SW_HIDE, 0x2) While Not WinExists("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung") ConsoleWrite(1) WEnd WinActivate("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung") WinSetState("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung", WinGetText("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung"), @SW_SHOW) WinSetState("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung", WinGetText("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung"), @SW_MAXIMIZE) WinSetState("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung", WinGetText("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung"), @SW_ENABLE) The While-Loops helps a lot and also stops after a second or so (► Stops to write ones (1)). That means that the actual "window" of the UAC is found, but all the WinXXX functions don't do anything and the UAC stays minimized. I also tried to minimized/move the cmd.exe to the background with WinActivate() and WinSetState() with no success.
      $iPID = ShellExecute("C:\Entwicklung\Autoit\Test\Temp.exe", "", @ScriptDir, "open", @SW_HIDE) Using ShellExecute() instead of Run() completely solves the UAC to fullscreen problem BUT I haven't found a consistent way to read the output of ShellExecute(). Neither here on the forum nor somewhere else. If I'd be possible to read the output from ShellExecute() then all my problems would be solved at once!
      Also tried a few more things and playing with some parameters but everything with no success.
      I'd really love some help and support here from you.
      Thanks in advance!

• By CarlD
      List (and, optionally, Delete) 0-byte files in current or specified directory; optionally, recurse through subdirectories.
      The heart of the matter is func _ListZeroByteFiles().
      #Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI **** #AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile=ListZero.exe #AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=y #AutoIt3Wrapper_Change2CUI=y #AutoIt3Wrapper_AU3Check_Parameters=-w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6 -d #AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Au3Stripper=y #EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI **** ; ; List (and, optionally, Delete) Zero-byte Files ; in current|specified directory ; Optionally, recurse through subdirs ; CLD rev. 2021-06-20 ; #cs Usage ----- ListZero d:\path1[ d:\path2 ...] [/R] [/-A] [/V] [/D[R]] /X:exclude_file [/?|/H] d:\path Path(s) to search (at least one is *required*) /R Recurse through subdirectories /-A Omit check for alternative data streams (ADS) /V Verbose: list subdirectory names in addition to files /D Delete listed files (NOT recommended on system drive) /DR Move listed files to Recycle bin /X:exclude_file Exclude files with *extensions* listed in exclude_file (one extension per line) /?|/H Help #ce #include <Misc.au3> #include <WinAPIFiles.au3> Global $sDir = "." Global $bSubDirs = 0, $sMsg = "", $iDeles = 0, $iFiles = 0, $bQuiet = 1 Global $sWinDrive = StringLeft(@WindowsDir, 2), $sTestStr = $sDir Global $vDele = 0, $sDeleWord = "", $sLastWord = "Deleted" Global $sExtFn = "", $aExts, $sExExts = "" Global $bADS = 1, $bNTFS = 0, $iRecurseLimit = 0 ; Test for at least one dir in command Global $p = $CmdLine[0] If $p Then For $i = 1 To $CmdLine[0] If StringInStr($CmdLine[$i], "/") = 1 Then $p -= 1 Next EndIf If $p < 1 Or StringInStr($CmdLineRaw, "/?") Or StringInStr($CmdLineRaw, "/H") Then Exit Consolewrite("List (and, optionally, Delete) Zero-byte Files [CLD rev.2021-02-07]" & @CRLF & @CRLF & StringTrimRight(@ScriptName, 4) & " d:\path1[ d:\path2 ...] [/R] [/-A] [/V] [/D[R]] /X:exclude_file [/?|/H]" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "d:\path Path(s) to search (at least one is *required*)" & @CRLF & "/R Recurse through subdirectories" & @CRLF & "/-A Omit check for alternate data streams (ADS)" & @CRLF & "/V Verbose: list subdirectory names in addition to files" & @CRLF & "/D Delete listed files (NOT recommended on system drive)" & @CRLF & "/DR Move listed files to Recycle bin" & @CRLF & "/X:exclude_file" & @CRLF & " Exclude files with *extensions* listed in exclude_file" & @CRLF & " (one extension per line)" & @CRLF & "/?|/H Help" & @CRLF) If StringInStr($CmdLineRaw, "/R") Then $bSubDirs = 1 If StringInStr($CmdLineRaw, "/-A") Then $bADS = 0 If StringInStr($CmdLineRaw, "/D") Then $vDele = 2 $sDeleWord = "Delet" If StringInStr($CmdLineRaw, "/DR") Then $vDele = 1 $sDeleWord = "Recycl" EndIf $sDeleWord &= "ed ==> " EndIf If StringInStr($CmdLineRaw, "/V") Then $bQuiet = 0 If StringInStr($CmdLineRaw, "/X:") Then $sExtFn = StringTrimLeft($CmdLineRaw, 2 + StringInStr($CmdLineRaw, "/X:")) While StringInStr($sExtFn, " ") = 1 $sExtFn = StringTrimLeft($sExtFn, 1) WEnd If StringInStr($sExtFn, """") = 1 Then $sExtFn = StringTrimLeft($sExtFn, 1) If StringInStr($sExtFn, """") Then $sExtFn = _ StringTrimRight($sExtFn, StringLen($sExtFn) - StringInStr($sExtFn, """")) Else If StringInStr($sExtFn, " ") Then $sExtFn = StringTrimRight($sExtFn, StringLen($sExtFn) - StringInStr($sExtFn, " ")) EndIf If FileExists($sExtFn) Then Global $h1 = FileOpen($sExtFn) $sExExts = FileRead($h1) FileClose($h1) If $sExExts Then If StringInStr($sExExts, @CRLF) Then $aExts = StringSplit($sExExts, @CRLF) $sExExts = "." For $i = 1 To $aExts[0] If $aExts[$i] Then $sExExts &= $aExts[$i] & "." Next Else $sExExts = "." & $sExExts & "." EndIf EndIf EndIf EndIf If $vDele = 2 And StringInStr($CmdLineRaw, $sWinDrive) Then ConsoleWrite("Warning: Deleting zero-byte files in the system drive (" & $sWinDrive & ") is not recommended." & @CRLF & "Are you sure you want to continue? (y|N)" & @CRLF) Global $hDLL = DLLOpen("user32.dll") While 1 If _IsPressed("59", $hDLL) Then ConsoleWrite(@CRLF) ExitLoop ElseIf _IsPressed("1B", $hDLL) Or _IsPressed("4E", $hDLL) Then DLLClose($hDLL) ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & "Quitting..." & @CRLF) Exit Else Sleep(20) EndIf WEnd DLLClose($hDLL) EndIf If $bSubDirs Then ConsoleWrite("Working... (Ctrl+C quits)" & @CRLF) For $i = 1 To $CmdLine[0] If StringInStr($CmdLine[$i], "/") = 1 Then ContinueLoop If $CmdLine[$i - 1] = "/X" Then ContinueLoop If StringRight($CmdLine[$i], 1) <> "\" Then $CmdLine[$i] &= "\" $CmdLine[$i] &= "\" $bNTFS = _SetbNTFS($CmdLine[$i]) $iDeles += _ListZeroByteFiles($CmdLine[$i], $bSubDirs) Next If $vDele = 1 Then $sLastWord = "Recycled" Global $iDiff = 7 + StringLen("Deleted") - StringLen($sLastWord) $sMsg = "Found " & StringFormat("%7s", _IntFormat($iFiles)) & " " & _OneMany("file", $iFiles) & @CRLF & $sLastWord & " " & StringFormat("%" & String($iDiff) & "s", _IntFormat($iDeles)) & " " & _OneMany("file", $iDeles) Exit ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & $sMsg & @CRLF) ;--- Func _ListZeroByteFiles($sPath = ".", $bRecurs = 0) ; List|Delete 0-byte files in current or specified directory ; Optionally, recurse through subdirectories ; Returns number of 0-byte files deleted $iRecurseLimit += 1 If $iRecurseLimit = 200 Then $iRecurseLimit = 0 Return EndIf If StringRight($sPath, 1) <> "\" Then $sPath &= "\" If StringRight($sPath, 1) = "\" Then $sPath &= "*" If Not FileExists($sPath) Then Return 0 Local $sFn = "", $iC = 0, $iC2 = 0, $bEx = 0 Local $sDirName = _FileGetPath($sPath) Local $h = FileFindFirstFile($sPath) If $h = -1 Then Return 0 While 1 $sFn = $sDirName & "\" & FileFindNextFile($h) If @error Then FileClose($h) ExitLoop EndIf $bEx = @extended If StringInStr($sFn, ":") = 2 Then $sFn = StringUpper(StringLeft($sFn, 1)) & StringTrimLeft($sFn, 1) If $bEx = 0 Then; we have a file If _FileGetSizeADS($sFn) = 0 Then If $sExExts Then If StringInStr($sExExts, "." & _FileGetExt($sFn) & ".") Then ContinueLoop EndIf $iFiles += 1 Switch $vDele Case 0 Case 1 If FileRecycle($sFn) Then $iC += 1 Case 2 If FileDelete($sFn) Then $iC += 1 EndSwitch ConsoleWrite($sDeleWord & $sFn & @CRLF) EndIf Else; we have a directory If $bRecurs Then If $bQuiet = 0 Then ConsoleWrite("Searching " & $sFn & @CRLF) $iC2 = _ListZeroByteFiles($sFn, 1) If $iC2 > 0 Then $iC += $iC2 $iC2 = 0 EndIf EndIf WEnd Return $iC EndFunc ;==>_ListZeroByteFiles Func _FileGetExt($sFn) ; Parse ext from [d:\path\]filename.ext Local $sExt = "", $aA If StringInStr($sFn, ".") Then If StringInStr(FileGetAttrib($sFn), "D") Then Return $sExt $aA = StringSplit($sFn, ".") $sExt = $aA[$aA[0]] EndIf Return $sExt EndFunc ;==>_FileGetExt Func _FileGetPath($sFn) ; Parse directory from path\file; final "\" is trimmed Local $sDirr = "" Local $aA = StringSplit($sFn, "\") Local $iS = $aA[0] - 1 If Not StringInStr(FileGetAttrib($aA[$aA[0]]), "D") Then $iS += 1 For $i = 1 To $iS $sDirr &= $aA[$i] & "\" Next While StringRight($sDirr, 1) = "\" $sDirr = StringTrimRight($sDirr, 1) WEnd Return $sDirr EndFunc ;==>_FileGetPath Func _FileGetSizeADS($sFile) Local $sErrW, $sFnTmp, $aFnTmp Local $iSize = FileGetSize($sFile) If Not ($bADS And $bNTFS) Then Return $iSize $iSize = 0 Local $pData = _WinAPI_CreateBuffer(1024) Local $tFSD = DllStructCreate($tagWIN32_FIND_STREAM_DATA) Local $hSearch = _WinAPI_FindFirstStream($sFile, $tFSD) While Not @error $iSize += DllStructGetData($tFSD, 'StreamSize') _WinAPI_FindNextStream($hSearch, $tFSD) WEnd Switch @extended Case 38 ; ERROR_HANDLE_EOF Case Else $sErrW = _WinAPI_GetErrorMessage(@extended) $aFnTmp = StringSplit($sFile, "\") $sFnTmp = $aFnTmp[$aFnTmp[0]] If Not StringRight($sErrW, 13) = "successfully." Then _ ConsoleWrite("--> " & $sFnTmp & ": " & $sErrW & @CRLF) EndSwitch _WinAPI_FindClose($hSearch) _WinAPI_FreeMemory($pData) Return $iSize EndFunc ;==>_FileGetSizeADS Func _IntFormat($n, $s = ",", $sd = ".") ; Insert commas|specified separator into integer If StringIsInt($n) Then Local $a, $d = "", $x If StringInStr($n, $sd) Then $a = StringSplit($n, $sd) $n = $a[1] $d = $sd & $a[2] EndIf $x = $n $n = "" While StringLen($x) > 3 $n = $s & StringRight($x, 3) & $n $x = StringTrimRight($x, 3) WEnd $n = $x & $n EndIf Return ($n & $d) EndFunc ;==>_IntFormat Func _OneMany($sSingular, $iCount, $sPlural = "") ; Returns singular or plural depending on count ; Plural appends S to singular (ES if it ends in S) ; unless $sPlural is supplied Local $sEss = "s" If StringRight($sSingular, 1) = "s" Then $sEss = "es" If StringUpper($sSingular) == $sSingular Then $sEss = StringUpper($sEss) If Not $sPlural Then $sPlural = $sSingular & $sEss If Abs($iCount) = 1 Then Return $sSingular Else Return $sPlural EndIf EndFunc ;==>_OneMany Func _SetbNTFS($sPath) If DriveGetFileSystem(StringLeft($sPath, 3)) = "NTFS" Then Return 1 Else Return 0 EndIf EndFunc ;==>_SetbNTFS  
    • By lIlIIlIllIIIIlI
      $input = $CmdLine[1] $bytes = 1000000 ; 1000000 for 1 MB, 1000 for 1 KB $size = FileGetSize($input) $file = fileopen($input, 16) $max = ceiling($size / $bytes) for $i = 1 to $max $data = fileread($file, $bytes) $output = $input & '_' & $i & 'of' & $max filewrite($output, $data) next ^file split
      file path for a 20MB "video.mp4" is input, it will be output as "video.mp4_1of20", "video.mp4_2of20", etc. change $bytes to affect the split files size, this example made them 1MB (10^6 bytes)

$input = $CmdLine[1] $name = stringtrimright($input, 1 + stringlen($input) - stringinstr($input, '_', 0, -1)) $split = stringsplit($input, 'of', 3) $max = $split[ubound($split) - 1] for $i = 1 to $max $in = $name & '_' & $i & 'of' & $max $file = fileopen($in, 16) $data = fileread($file) fileclose($file) filedelete($in) filewrite($name, $data) next ^ file join
      file path for any of the "video.mp4_Xof20" segments is input. the "video.mp4_Xof20" segments are read and written to "video.mp4" and then deleted, leaving the newly joined "video.mp4" in the end

i made this today because i had a big file that i couldn't really open. i split it into 1000 chunks to make processing and stuff easier. i've also used it to split files to just under 25MB segments so i can attach and mail big files over gmail which is silly but it worked