Problems with function _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel

AndreyS

Hi, developers!
How to make so that the function _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel is not activated window?
This is impeding! Because my program should work in a non-activated state. 
And it is used in many other functions related to the RichEdit.
I would be very grateful for any help!

Edited by AndreyS

Can you show any example which shows what the problem is ?

mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GuiRichEdit.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $hGui, $hRichEdit, $iMsg
    $hGui = GUICreate("Example (" & StringTrimRight(@ScriptName, 4) & ")", 320, 350, -1, -1)
    $hRichEdit = _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create($hGui, "This is a test.", 10, 10, 300, 220, _
            BitOR($ES_MULTILINE, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_AUTOVSCROLL))
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

For $i = 1 To 5
        _GUICtrlRichEdit_AppendText($hRichEdit, @CRLF & "This is appended text.")
        Sleep(5000) ;At this point make any other active window. The window itself activated again because the function _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel
    Next

_GUICtrlRichEdit_Destroy($hRichEdit)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Edited by AndreyS

May be a @SW_HIDE at correct position helps:

Example()

Func Example()
    $hGui = GUICreate("Example (" & StringTrimRight(@ScriptName, 4) & ")", 320, 350, -1, -1)
    $hRichEdit = _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create($hGui, "This is a test.", 10, 10, 300, 220, _
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
     Local $iPID = Run("notepad.exe", "", @SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED)
    Sleep(5000)
    GUISetState(@SW_HIDE)

For $i = 1 To 5
        Sleep(5000) ;At this point make any other active window. The window itself activated again because the function _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel
    Next
    Sleep(1000)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
    MsgBox(0,'','')
EndFunc   ;==>Example

I know how the most _GUICtrlRichEdit_* funcs works.

If you need more help build a runable reproducer script which uses _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel.

Edited by AutoBert

Thank you very much, AutoBert, for being involved in the solution to my problem!
This is also a variant of the decision.
But in my case the the program window shall not disappear, even for a short time and must always be visible.

• Moderators

AndreyS,

I have just run the code you posted at #3 above and at no time does the RichEdit GUI try to regain focus from another active window - the GUI just sits to one side adding lines every 5 seconds while I am busy activating and working in other windows - such as writing this post. So either I have misunderstood the problem you are having or you are doing something else in your script to reactivate the RichEdit GUI.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Thank you for your participation, Melba23, in my question!
Once again I will try to explain my task.
In my script, there is a code, which over time is constantly changing the text in the RichEdit. But in this case the program window should not be activated and should not fade as suggested above.

• Moderators

AndreyS,

I do not understand your requirement: when I run the code the RichEdit GUI is neither activated nor does it "fade" - it just sits there in an inactive gradually filling with data.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Sorry. Still do not know much English.
In general, no matter what you need to do. The only question is whether you can disable the function _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel voluntarily activate a window.

If it helps, I'll try again to explain my task. In the window of my program periodically automatically change the text (in RichEdit). But I work in parallel with other programs (such as Word). My program is not to be activated by yourself, but it can not minimize - it must always be visible and deployed.

Well, just as in my example! It does not have it activated itself, if there is no focus on it and should not be minimized or hidden.

• Moderators

AndreyS,

the function _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel voluntarily activate a window

No it does not - at least on my machine running the example at #3 above,

It does not have it activated itself, if there is no focus on it and should not be minimized or hidden

Which is exactly what happens when I run the example at #3 above.

So do I understand that you get different results? Are you running exactly the same code as in the example in post #3 above?

M23

Spoiler

@Melba23: test the script against applcation with Style @SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED :

Example()

Func Example()
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
    Sleep(5000)
    ;GUISetState(@SW_HIDE)

For $i = 1 To 5
    Next
    Sleep(1000)
    ;GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
    MsgBox(0,'','')
EndFunc   ;==>Example

and you will see effect AndreyS reported. Tested on win 10 x64 with AutoIt 3.3.12.x 

Edited by AutoBert

• Moderators

AutoBert,

Interesting. I get the RichEdit GUI activating only for the first pass through the loop - if I make the Notepad GUI active after that point it remains active from then on and the RichEdit GUI continues to fill while remaining inactive.

Looks like a Windows "feature" to me!

M23

Edit: Curiouser and curiouser - initially making the RichEdit transparent does not work as it still appears the first time (and only the first time) text is appended once it is made visible. But this is not a good example as if the other GUI is maximized, there is no reason for the RichEdit GUI to ever appear. I will don my thinking cap and see what I can come up with after a good night's sleep and a round of golf.

Edited by Melba23

Spoiler

Yes it's not a bug it's a feature.

This script works:

Example()

Func Example()
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
     WinWait("[CLASS:Notepad]", "", 10)
    _GUICtrlRichEdit_PauseRedraw($hRichEdit)
    For $i = 1 To 5
        WinActivate("[CLASS:Notepad]")
    Next
    Sleep(1000)
     _GUICtrlRichEdit_ResumeRedraw($hRichEdit)
    WinWaitActive($hGui, "")
    MsgBox(0,'','')
EndFunc   ;==>Example

with only popup 1 time in the loop.

On a Non Maximized Notepad and the Richedit-GUI not in front of Notepad it flickr 1 time. But in this case i also have no problems in your script from #3. 

Edited by AutoBert

Of course the exact same example! I copied it directly on the forum without changes.
The problem is that if I transfer the focus to another program skpript returns the focus. And I need to prevent this from happening.

Function _GUICtrlRichEdit_PauseRedraw () is not suitable, as it should be seen to add each new line. ((

And activate the window Notepad is also impossible as it will be noticeable disappearance and appearance (twitching) script window. And if I do not have a small handling code, it will disappear even longer. Also used parallel program can not be Notepad, but more complicated. And returns the focus where it would have been much more problematic. In general you can not use a function here WinActivate ().

Thank you for trying to help that!

Edited by AndreyS

18 minutes ago, AndreyS said:

Of course the exact same example! I copied it directly on the forum without changes.

i copied some lines in it:

• for starting notepad
  • _GUICtrlRichEdit_PauseRedraw/_GUICtrlRichEdit_ResumeRedraw (only needed when RichEditGUI is in front of Notepad).
Edited by AutoBert

Colleagues, I probably found a less optimal solution. I just in file GuiRichEdit.au3, in function _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel (), remove the line:
_WinAPI_SetFocus ($ HWnd)

I did not understand why it is needed, but many functions work without no problem.

If you find a better solution - will thank you. But I do not want to take away your precious time!
Thank you for having responded!