FIleInstall stopped working

Champak

Event Log (eventvwr.msc)
Look for any failure events any of the "Windows Logs" (Application, Security, System).

Process Monitor (from Sysinternals) can be used to identify file system errors for a given process or set of processes.  

These are just "tools" to try and find more information on what failure(s) is(are) occurring and hopefully lead to a source cause.

• Developers

Maybe it would be useful to define "not working", and tell us what the returncode and @error values are for FileInstall() ?

Also show some code and tell us whether you are running autoit3 or compiled x86 or x64.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

@ Danyfirex I don't know what you mean by check architecture.

@ spudw2k Nothing in the logs as far as errors...or within the time range of when I activate the function.

@ Jos FileInstall not working when trying to install a file into System32 folder (no changes have been made to the script). Return value is 0, it happens compiled x86 and script form. What do you mean error values? Nothing is set if error from what I read in the helpfile, but I put an If condition for @errors and didn't get anything.

$DCDC_dll = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DCDCUsbLib.dll"
    If Not (FileExists($DCDC_dll)) Then
        $check = FileInstall("C:\Users\Lab1\Desktop\INavMedia Development\Install\Install Dlls\DCDCUsbLib.dll", $DCDC_dll, 1)
        If @error Then MsgBox(0,0,@error)
        ConsoleWrite($check & @CRLF)
    EndIf

If you are not running the script as ADMIN then C:\WINDOWS\system32\ is normally read only. Have you tried temporarily changing the install path to somewhere else just to check that FileInstall() is working on a none protected directory?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

• Developers

You didn't answer all my questions. :)
IF the returncode is zero I would  guess it is failing, so are you sure you have admin rights and are running in Admin mode? 

Another thing to check is directory: C:\Windows\SysWOW64 for the file depending which mode (x86/x64) you run in.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

@Bowmore I can install in all other directories I've tried.

@jos I do have admin rights, logged in to windows as an administrator. I dont have those folders. I'll go ahead and check the admin rights of the script when I get home, but I didn't have it before, and I have another computer where everything is installing in the system32 folder with no issue.

Do I have to have dlls registered in the system32 folder to work? If I dont, then I can just put them somewhere else and not worry about this. These dlls I'm working with are com objects.

Well, you can register dlls in any directory AFAIK, so I don't see what it would "have" to reside in sys32/syswow64 (if you are planning on using objget/create funcs).  I could see the simplicity in maintaining the dlls in sys32 dirs, but it's I don't think it's a dependency.  Just don't forget about cleanup later (regsvr32 /u).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

1.) As Jos already pointed out: c:\windows\system32 c:\windows\sysWOW64 do not permit to write files to, *EVEN* if you are logged on as "the Administrator", that's *NOT* sufficient. The script needs to be run "UAC elevated".

1.) does your script have a line telling ....

#RequireAdmin

??

2.) download process monitor, run it, add a filter to display only...

category = write

result "is not" success

see, what's going on.

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!