Is there a way to specify a UIAutomation control in a way that yields faster actions?

bobmcrae

I am experimenting with UIAWrappers.au3 from junkew to complete an application which presents absolutely no control information using AutoIT Window Info.  While I am able to complete the form successfully, I am not happy with the speed.  As a benchmark, the simple Send method occurs in far less than 1-second, but the UIAutomation approach takes 3-seconds.  I am wondering whether performance gains may be achieved by specifying the controls more precisely; but I am unsure how to do that.  I was able to speed things up a bit by setting $UIA_DefaultWaitTime=0.  The controls of interest are 5-levels deep, as show in the simplespy output below.  It seems I do get faster response by specifying the target/top-level window, as show in the code below.  Any ideas?

#include "UIAWrappers.au3"

_UIA_setVar("Global.Debug", False)
_UIA_setVar("Global.Debug.File", False)
_UIA_setVar("Global.Highlight", False)

_UIA_setVar("DPN","Title:=NC-stat DPNCheck Communicator;controltype:=UIA_WindowControlTypeId;class:=Window")
_UIA_action('DPN','setFocus')

_UIA_setVar("DPN.firstName","AutomationId:=txtFirstName")
_UIA_setVar("DPN.lastName", "AutomationId:=txtLastName")
_UIA_Action('DPN.lastName','setvalue','last name')
_UIA_setVar("DPN.ID",       "AutomationId:=txtSubjectId")
_UIA_setVar("DPN.DOB",      "AutomationId:=PART_TextBox")
_UIA_setVar("DPN.Ft",       "AutomationId:=txtSubjectHeight")
_UIA_setVar("DPN.In",       "AutomationId:=txtSubjectHeight2")

_UIA_Action('DPN.firstName','setvalue','first name')
_UIA_Action('DPN.ID','setvalue','ID012345')
_UIA_Action('DPN.DOB','setvalue','1/31/1932')
_UIA_Action('DPN.Ft','setvalue','6')
_UIA_Action('DPN.In','setvalue','1')

SimpleSpy output:

;~ *** Standard code ***
#include "UIAWrappers.au3"
AutoItSetOption("MustDeclareVars", 1)

Local $oP4=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($UIA_oDesktop, "Title:=NC-stat DPNCheck Communicator;controltype:=UIA_WindowControlTypeId;class:=Window", $treescope_children)   
_UIA_Action($oP4,"setfocus")
Local $oP3=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP4, "Title:=;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=Frame", $treescope_children)    
Local $oP2=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP3, "Title:=;controltype:=UIA_TabControlTypeId;class:=TabControl", $treescope_children)    
Local $oP1=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP2, "Title:=Patient;controltype:=UIA_TabItemControlTypeId;class:=TabItem", $treescope_children)    
Local $oP0=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP1, "Title:=;controltype:=UIA_PaneControlTypeId;class:=Frame", $treescope_children)    
;~ First find the object in the parent before you can do something
;~$oUIElement=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll(".mainwindow", "title:=;ControlType:=UIA_EditControlTypeId", $treescope_subtree)
Local $oUIElement=_UIA_getObjectByFindAll($oP0, "title:=;ControlType:=UIA_EditControlTypeId", $treescope_subtree)
_UIA_action($oUIElement,"click")

The advantage of using the wrapper functions is that they are easy to use. The disadvantage is that they execute a large number of code lines. Especially _UIA_Action. The only thing you can do to increase performance is to avoid the wrapper functions and call the interface methods in CUIAutomation2.au3 directly.

You can look at some of my examples in the UI Automation thread to see how to do it.

Next version I hope to have better speed of the uiaWrappers but I am not sure If I cause 2 seconds delay.

I know the logic in the wrappers is also if no treehierarchy is specified fallback to desktop and start searching the whole tree which can be huge and timeconsuming (when you turn logging on you can see what happens in detail and how many objects are traversed before finding the element)

Func _UIA_getFirstObjectOfElement($obj, $str, $treeScope) is probably quicker as it does not do a findall

I will put on my TODO some logic like

if in UIA_Action 1 property is used for finding an element directly call directly something like below

;- Change Func _UIA_getFirstObjectOfElement

$propertyID = $UIA_NamePropertyId ;- Or automation id property or .....
$tVal= ..... ;- property value

$UIA_oUIAutomation.createPropertyCondition($propertyID, $tval, $pCondition)
$oCondition = ObjCreateInterface($pCondition, $sIID_IUIAutomationPropertyCondition, $dtagIUIAutomationPropertyCondition)
$t = $obj.Findfirst($treeScope, $oCondition, $UIA_pUIElement)
$UIA_oUIElement = ObjCreateInterface($UIA_pUIElement, $sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement)

Thanks guys.  I was really struggling to follow even the simple examples, but after writing the main functionality of populating a form in C#, I was able to understand the Automation class a bit further -- without the abstraction of AutoIT.  Then, I turned my attention back to AutoIT and with your guidance above and the C# experience, I wrote a simple UDF for my specific case.  Not only do I appreciate the more AutoIT native syntax, the speed is now fully reasonable.  The _UAI_SetVar and _UAI_Action methods (using the unaltered UIAWrappers.au3) takes ~4-seconds to enter a user name into a text field.  The revised code below populates that field in ~20-milliseconds.  Yeah!  Thanks again for the guidance.

Sample Code:

#include "UIAutomation.au3"

; find parent element
$hWindow = WinGetHandle('Sunlight MiniOmni')
$aeParent = _getAeFromHandle($hWindow)

; find target element
$aeTarget = _getAeFromCondition($aeParent, $UIA_AutomationIdPropertyId, 'txtUserName')

; set target element value
_setAeValue($aeTarget, 'username here')

My Simple UDF (UIAutomation.au3):

#include "CUIAutomation2.au3"

Global $aInterfaceObj

_UIAutomationInit()

Func _UIAutomationInit()
    $aInterfaceObj  = ObjCreateInterface( $sCLSID_CUIAutomation, $sIID_IUIAutomation, $dtagIUIAutomation )
    Return IsObj($aInterfaceObj) ? $aInterfaceObj : False
EndFunc ;  _UIAutomationInit()

Func _setAeValue($aeTarget, $valueStr)
    Local $patternPointer

If Not IsObj($aeTarget) Then Return False

$aeTarget.GetCurrentPattern($UIA_ValuePatternId, $patternPointer)
    $aePattern = ObjCreateInterface( $patternPointer, $sIID_IUIAutomationValuePattern, $dtagIUIAutomationValuePattern)
    $aePattern.SetValue($valueStr)

EndFunc ;_setAeValue()

Func _getAeFromCondition($aeParent, $propType, $propStr)
    Local $targetPointer, $propCondInterfaceObj

If Not IsObj($aInterfaceObj) Then Return False
    If Not IsObj($aeParent) Then Return False

$aInterfaceObj.createPropertyCondition( $propType, $propStr, $propCondInterfaceObj )
    $aeParent.FindFirst( $TreeScope_Descendants, $propCondInterfaceObj, $targetPointer)
    $ae = ObjCreateInterface( $targetPointer, $sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement )

Return IsObj($ae) ? $ae : False

EndFunc ; _getAeFromCondition()

Func _getAeFromHandle($hWindow)
    Local $winPointer

If Not WinExists($hWindow) Then Return False

$aInterfaceObj.ElementFromHandle( $hWindow, $winPointer )
    $ae = ObjCreateInterface( $winPointer, $sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement )

EndFunc ; _getAeFromHandle()

Findfirst is for sure match quicker and in your scenario your developers behave nicely on automationid.

The uiawrappers give 

A. Regular expression matching

B. Matching on index or ordinal value

C. Match with multiple properties

As said I will improve on single property and exact matching using findfirst

• 2 weeks later...

Nice topic!

First i will learn, then i will ask forsome help later on :P

Really amazing job @junkew

Thanks adv.

@UPDATE:

On 19/02/2016 at 3:06 AM, bobmcrae said:

Thanks guys.  I was really struggling to follow even the simple examples, but after writing the main functionality of populating a form in C#, I was able to understand the Automation class a bit further -- without the abstraction of AutoIT.  Then, I turned my attention back to AutoIT and with your guidance above and the C# experience, I wrote a simple UDF for my specific case.  Not only do I appreciate the more AutoIT native syntax, the speed is now fully reasonable.  The _UAI_SetVar and _UAI_Action methods (using the unaltered UIAWrappers.au3) takes ~4-seconds to enter a user name into a text field.  The revised code below populates that field in ~20-milliseconds.  Yeah!  Thanks again for the guidance.

Sample Code:

#include "UIAutomation.au3"

; find parent element
$hWindow = WinGetHandle('Sunlight MiniOmni')

; find target element
$aeTarget = _getAeFromCondition($aeParent, $UIA_AutomationIdPropertyId, 'txtUserName')

; set target element value
_setAeValue($aeTarget, 'username here')

My Simple UDF (UIAutomation.au3):

#include "CUIAutomation2.au3"

Global $aInterfaceObj

_UIAutomationInit()

Func _UIAutomationInit()
    $aInterfaceObj  = ObjCreateInterface( $sCLSID_CUIAutomation, $sIID_IUIAutomation, $dtagIUIAutomation )
    Return IsObj($aInterfaceObj) ? $aInterfaceObj : False
EndFunc ;  _UIAutomationInit()

Func _setAeValue($aeTarget, $valueStr)
    Local $patternPointer

If Not IsObj($aeTarget) Then Return False

$aeTarget.GetCurrentPattern($UIA_ValuePatternId, $patternPointer)
    $aePattern = ObjCreateInterface( $patternPointer, $sIID_IUIAutomationValuePattern, $dtagIUIAutomationValuePattern)
    $aePattern.SetValue($valueStr)

EndFunc ;_setAeValue()

Func _getAeFromCondition($aeParent, $propType, $propStr)
    Local $targetPointer, $propCondInterfaceObj

If Not IsObj($aeParent) Then Return False

$aInterfaceObj.createPropertyCondition( $propType, $propStr, $propCondInterfaceObj )
    $aeParent.FindFirst( $TreeScope_Descendants, $propCondInterfaceObj, $targetPointer)
    $ae = ObjCreateInterface( $targetPointer, $sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement )

EndFunc ; _getAeFromCondition()

Func _getAeFromHandle($hWindow)
    Local $winPointer

If Not WinExists($hWindow) Then Return False

$aInterfaceObj.ElementFromHandle( $hWindow, $winPointer )
    $ae = ObjCreateInterface( $winPointer, $sIID_IUIAutomationElement, $dtagIUIAutomationElement )

EndFunc ; _getAeFromHandle()

I'm getting:

Unknown function name.:
$aeParent = ^ ERROR

Some idea why?

Thanks adv.

Edited by Chiitus

• 1 month later...

how did you find this

'txtUserName'

(which way did you read it?)

and why did you use it together with

$UIA_AutomationIdPropertyId

Can you also give me direct link to this application

Sunlight MiniOmni

then I can download it, use "simple spy" and try to understand your code to learn UIA

Edited by maniootek

• 2 years later...

@junkew Thanks so much for your UDF, it makes things much faster but can you include an "action" function in your UDF?

I'm using your script to automate mstsc.exe in win2016, I can inject username + password thanks to your code, but how do i click on the ok button?

Thanks.

That user hasn't been here since 2016, I'm not sure he'll be responding.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

sn1kzZ, Here is a list of control types and supported patterns (actions).

You should create a new thread with your own question. Add information about application, controls and actions. Then it should not be impossible to make some fast code.

You can also google this way:

LarsJ CUIAutomation2.au3 site:autoitscript.com

Then you'll get a list of examples with very fast code.