How to create an installer based on system changes

jrp78

I have some software that doesn't allow for silent install. I actually managed to get SciTE Script Editor to do what I needed then compiled to an exe and the install works great IF a user is logged in. However, the problem is the script doesn't run if a user isn't logged into the computer. We use Altiris to deploy software so if a user isn't logged in, when I call the compiled exe I made in ScITE, it just doesn't run. I stumbled upon an old thread that mentioned taking a freshly imaged machine, taking a snapshot, install the software then take another snapshot. Then based on changes between the snapshots, create a new exe with AutoIT?? Or at least that's how I interpreted the explanation. I can't seem to find any info on this method though and was hoping someone might provide some guidance. TIA.

You can use the RegShot utility to find changes (before / after). Use it with a fresh install (it's better, but not mandatory). Then rebuild your own package with AutoIt or a installer software (InnoSetup, NSIS...)

• Moderators

@jrp78 it is a bit difficult to suggest options without seeing the script. An initial guess would be that you use Sends and Mouseclicks, which aren't going to go through when no user is logged in. To offer more, please post your script so we're not guessing.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Run(@ScriptDir & '\setup.exe')
AutoItSetOption('MouseCoordMode',0)

WinWait('InstallShield Wizard')
MouseClick('primary', 361, 355, 1, 0)

Sleep(300)

WinWait('InstallShield Wizard', 'The InstallShield Wizard will install on your computer')
WinActivate('InstallShield Wizard')
MouseClick('primary', 363, 355, 1, 0)
Sleep(300)

MouseClick('primary', 36, 279, 1, 0)
Sleep(300)
MouseClick('primary', 362, 356, 1, 0)
Sleep(300)
Sleep(300)
Sleep(300)

WinWait('Question')
WinActivate('Question')
MouseClick('primary', 313, 133, 1, 0)

WinWait('Editor Setup')
WinActivate(' Editor Setup')
MouseClick('primary', 370, 47, 1, 0)

WinWait('Installation Complete')
MouseClick('primary', 129, 142, 1, 0)
MouseClick('primary', 165, 172, 1, 0)

WinWait('InstallShield Wizard')

Edited by JLogan3o13

• Moderators

@jrp78 in the future, please use the code tags option <> to surround your code; makes it much easier to read ;)

As I surmised, you are using Mouseclicks, which is not going to work while no one is logged into the machine. I would suggest using some of the free repackaging software out there (Wix is one) to build the installation into an MSI.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

Maybe I'm missing something but Installshield allows silent installation.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

2 minutes ago, JLogan3o13 said:

@jrp78 in the future, please use the code tags option <> to surround your code; makes it much easier to read ;)

As I surmised, you are using Mouseclicks, which is not going to work while no one is logged into the machine. I would suggest using some of the free repackaging software out there (Wix is one) to build the installation into an MSI.

Thanks! I'll look into Wix. Yeah saw the code tags after I posted and didn't see any edit button. :o I do like AutoIT. Seems like it will come in handy in some scenarios.

• Moderators

@water I have run into some InstallShield wrapped apps that do not, based on either the ISSETUPDRIVEN or STANDARD_USE_ property that can be set within the installer itself. It's rare, and usually indicative of a poorly constructed installer.

• Moderators

@jrp78 if this is a commercial application that you can share the name of, we would be happy to look. There are several forum members such as myself that do a lot with application repackaging, and might provide you with some options.

I see.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

5 hours ago, JLogan3o13 said:

@jrp78 if this is a commercial application that you can share the name of, we would be happy to look. There are several forum members such as myself that do a lot with application repackaging, and might provide you with some options.

The application is called respondus. They have two variants, one for students and one for instructors. The instructor version is the one with no silent install option.