Requesting permission from the AutoIt Team regarding Freenode IRC

TheDcoder

8 hours ago, TheDcoder said:

I will warn the troll that I am going to publish his IP in the public.

How about being above the fray and simply ignoring trolls.  If you work outside the guidance and protection of the institution, do not expect it to be tolerated.

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

On 4/20/2016 at 10:07 AM, TheDcoder said:

Apr 19 13:02:32 *   Charlie_ is now known as Guest65544 Apr 19 13:03:34 <<Guest65544>>  Hi, what is an AutoIt? Apr 19 13:03:55 <<TheDcoder>>   Wow Apr 19 13:04:15 <<TheDcoder>>   AutoIt is a programming language Apr 19 13:04:15 <<Guest65544>>  world of warcraft? Apr 19 13:04:26 <<TheDcoder>>   not world of warcraft Apr 19 13:04:38 <<Guest65544>>  you say wow Apr 19 13:05:02 <<TheDcoder>>   there are other meanings to wow -_- Apr 19 13:05:11 <<Guest65544>>  my languge is english Apr 19 13:05:28 <<TheDcoder>>   I am not talking Japanese Apr 19 13:06:11 <<Guest65544>>  what is a programming language?

I remember that in the IRC channels I'd go to, there would be a command that would send a chat window with a help / FAQ for ppl to get simple questions as this Guest was asking. Therefore avoiding the aggravating nonsense you found yourself in. Announcement of the command was at the header that is shown at join of a channel.

I had scripts that run on my mIRC that took care of all that, but it's been well over 15 years ago. I have no clue of any of it anymore. It was done with a "robot user", just to attend to the commands. And was with channel defence scripts for attacks... , long time ago. 

I'm typing a story, just as grandpa would tell a story from his days of youth. I hope this helps.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

1 minute ago, argumentum said:

I'm typing a story, just as grandpa would tell a story from his days of youth. I hope this helps.

Thanks "grandpa." :lol:.

I am already working on new features on my DcoderBot (IRC Bot for handling those things).

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

• Developers
14 hours ago, TheDcoder said:

I will note this point and I will warn the troll that I am going to publish his IP in the public.

Do what you feel you need to do, but hope I made clear that I don't agree and this isn't  allowed in these forums. ;)

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• 3 weeks later...

I take it ambivalence is not going to satisfy your requirement?  You cant just exist alongside, and in support of?  What is the barrier to just renaming to your desired #AutoIt and existing "in lieu of an official XXXX"  like every other subforum on any other medium ever created, ever.  If anyone starts to care, they know where to find you.

I think that was explained earlier.  The People at FreeNode do not like to just let people run amok with whatever they like.  They like to keep things clean.  If they do not see an official approval, they won't let TheDcoder treat it like an official channel.  Just renaming the channel will not be allowed.  There is already a #AutoIt channel registered.  It cannot be taken over unless the one trying to take it over is officially recognized.  That is the whole reason for this thread; to have a place that can be seen publicly by the FreeNode admins where a post from Jon (if he chooses to do so) grants TheDcoder permission to run an official channel.

I personally do not understand what people have against the way TheDcoder is handling this.  TheDcoder does not want to claim official use of the AutoIt name without actually having permission to do so.  He is showing respect and courtesy to the AutoIt owner, developers, and community in general.  To that end, he has made a request that Jon approve his ownership/administration of an official AutoIt channel.  If Jon says no, there will be some disappointed people, but Jon's wishes will be followed.  If Jon says yes, then TheDcoder will administer the forum in accordance with what ever policies Jon requires.

No one is wanting to take anything from Jon, from the forum, or from the community.  In my opinion, we should now allow Jon to handle this as he sees fit.

I'm not against it, just again pointing out that it may not be necessary.  Sincerely: What is the difference between the Facebook AutoIt Page, the LinkedIn AutoIt Group, and the IRC AutoIt Channel?

The rules seem pretty simple, run your area the same way as the forum.  If you dont need to be looked at, aint nobody lookin.

*If this is an exercise simply for the Freenode admins, then i apologize for that process existing.

Edited by iamtheky

4 hours ago, iamtheky said:

pointing out that it may not be necessary

Definitely its not necessary, but it *is* a great addition to the AutoIt Community ^_^

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

Not the Channel, the effort to get it blessed.  Context.

• 4 weeks later...

I have talked with freenode's staff and they require the creator of AutoIt (@Jon) to send them an email telling them that its OK for them to let me operate the official channel. I will send a PM to Jon with more details on who he needs email and some confidential stuff...

Thanks you guys for helping me bring back the IRC AutoIt Community! Love you all! :D