Requesting permission from the AutoIt Team regarding Freenode IRC

TheDcoder

Hello Everyone! I am here today to request permission for the following:

1. Permission for owning the official #AutoIt channel on freenode.
  2. Permission for creation of a group in Freenode for AutoIt.
  3. Permission for maintaining the #AutoIt channel independently.

I have no objection if the AutoIt Team later decides to purge (take?) the permissions (rights?) mentioned above, I take oath that I will happily and willingly give them up.

Phew, that is the end of the official request :D. So if you have noticed my new topic about the unofficial IRC Channel for AutoIt in which I love to hangout, It felt like there is a need for an official one (official channel). Why you ask? Here are some good reasons why (re)opening the #AutoIt channel is needed:

There are a lot of enthusiastic programmers out there in Freenode, all very active and friendly ^_^, Many of them are searching for something new, something different, something "unique", like AutoIt! But there is no official channel for them to hangout :(. Someone on the #freenode channel commented on AutoIt something similar to this:

Why use AutoIt when there is C? (or C#, I don't remember that well)

They don't know the specialness of AutoIt! What a shame :(, Someone also told me that they have tried AHK (AutoHotKey) but not AutoIt!, The reason? Inactive IRC channel.

They think that AutoIt is old & outdated, while it is not, especially when we have the functionality of UDFs! (which AHK lacks). Also we have the new "Map" datatype being developed, this is a good time to start the new & shiny channel for AutoIt :D.

We can attract more programmers and have a place where all the AutoIt Scripters gather to talk and ask quick questions! IMHO it is very important for AutoIt to have a channel on Freenode. I hope you all understand :thumbsup:

Thanks, TD :)

Edited by TheDcoder
Embarrassing typo

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

And I forgot one thing, Can I get to ware the the cloak made for the AutoIt Group? :)

Cloaks indicate officials from a part of a group (AutoIt Group in this case).

Example: If @Jon were to get (wear?) a cloak, he would get the "AutoIt/Founder/<Jon's Username in Freenode>" cloak.

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

11 hours ago, JohnOne said:

Because the forum is no good?

Forum is good for slow and big discussions

IRC is good for fast and small discussions

:D

IRC is good if you need to download something, and find yourself in the late 1990s.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

5 minutes ago, iamtheky said:

IRC is good if you need to download something

?

5 minutes ago, iamtheky said:

and find yourself in the late 1990s.

False, Its not like that, many people use it today too!

We discussed this before hence why Chat was created. So go ahead do as you please, but I really doubt anyone will use it. I would however advise you direct people here to write their solution and share the knowledge.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Just now, guinness said:

So go ahead do as you please

I still need to get permission from the rest of the Team (especially Jon)

1 minute ago, guinness said:

I would however advise you direct people here to write their solution and share the knowledge.

I will, of course do that :D

Thanks! TD :)

• Moderators

I believe you have received what answer you're going to get, Jon is busy enough that I don't think he's going to be in a hurry to chime in so bumping will do you little good. I agree with guinness in that no one is going to say no, you can't start an AutoIt group on a resource that no one uses any longer, might as well create a MySpace group :)

On all the other sub-forums such as Facebook and LinkedIn, we try to simply direct people back here. We have a main forum for a reason, I don't see a need to have dozens of different sites - all with different people answering questions. What happens if the person best able to answer someone's question doesn't use IRC? Then you're here on the main forum, creating a topic akin to "Someone on IRC asked xxx, does anyone here know so I can respond to them?". Seems counter-productive.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

7 hours ago, JLogan3o13 said:

you can't start an AutoIt group on a resource that no one uses any longer

Many people use IRC :lol:

What happens if the person best able to answer someone's question doesn't use IRC?

The next best person able to answer someone's question who does use IRC will answer the question ;), And I don't believe that would be counter-productive.

Jon is busy enough that I don't think he's going to be in a hurry to chime in so bumping will do you little good

I am aware of that, I bumped this thread to prevent it from slowly dying like other threads :P (and to create some discussion).

TD :)

On 3/5/2016 at 11:23 PM, JLogan3o13 said:

On all the other sub-forums such as Facebook and LinkedIn, we try to simply direct people back here. We have a main forum for a reason, I don't see a need to have dozens of different sites - all with different people answering questions. What happens if the person best able to answer someone's question doesn't use IRC? Then you're here on the main forum, creating a topic akin to "Someone on IRC asked xxx, does anyone here know so I can respond to them?". Seems counter-productive.

Maybe we should put pressure on google to create an algorithm which removes all duplicate information from search results. That'll keep them busy for a while. :evil:

Edited by czardas

The problem for TheDcoder, is that those in charge of Freenode, want a legitimate representative of AutoIt to apply for the group to be created, making them then responsible I guess. Supposedly, because I am an MVP, they say that would be okay, but I advised TheDcoder he should seek permission/understanding from the leaders here first. Plus I am not keen to be responsible for something I am not all that likely to use ... or very often.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png