List View and Selecting Multiple Out-of-Sequence Rows

Hello All:

I am reading data from a ListView and based on criteria I want to have the script select certain rows in the ListView.  The script would loop through the ListView data and would select multiple rows out-of-sequence.  At the end, the script would press a button on the form which would remove the selected rows.

I'd originally had the script read a row and if criteria was met it would click on the button and remove that row.  In some cases there can be thousands of rows in the listview and clicking a button and then moving back to the listview was slow.  Selecting all affected rows and then pressing the button once would speed things up.

I've tried various functions and GUI UDF's to select a row but each time I ran the script I'd only get 1 row selected when I know there are dozens of records that should be selected.   What I think is happening is that the ControlSend method I was using to move down the rows by sending the ListView a Down key may have been deselecting each selected row as soon as the Down Arrow was sent.

Everything except for the Selection piece is working.  I've looked through the help files and the forums and could not find information on another way to cycle through the ListView rows.  I've included the code below along with each of the functions or UDF's I tried.

Could someone let me know if there is another way to move through the Listview rows other than using ControlSend that won't deselect Selected records?  If that's not an option, can someone let me know if there's another way to select rows in a ListView that won't be affected by the Down Arrow key?

Thank you.

Bill

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <array.au3>
#include <GuiListbox.au3>
#include <GuiToolbar.au3>
#include <GuiListView.au3>

HotKeySet("!{Esc}", "Terminate")

Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1) ; Must declare variables
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2) ; Can match substrings in title

Dim $hWnd ; main Title handle
Dim $hCntrlLV1 ; List View handle ("SysListView328")

Dim $sSubject ; Column 0
Dim $sStatus ; Column 1
Dim $sSize ; Column 2
Dim $sDate ; Column 3
Dim $sPoster ; Column 4
Dim $sGroup ; Column 5

Dim $bDelete = False
Dim $iMaxRows ; Total Rows in List View
Dim $iMaxCols ; Total Columns in List View
Dim $iCurRow ; Current Row being read
Dim $iSelected ; Total items Selected

Dim $sTitle1 = "Main Title"

If WinExists($sTitle1, "") Then

$hWnd = WinActivate($sTitle1, "")
    If @error Then
        MsgBox(48, $sTitle1, "Could not activate the form.")
        Terminate
    EndIf

$hCntrlLV1 = ControlGetHandle($hWnd, "", "SysListView328")

ControlFocus($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1)
    $iMaxRows = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetItemCount")
    $iMaxCols = _GUICtrlListView_GetColumnCount($hCntrlLV1)

ControlSend($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "{Home}")

$iCurRow = 0 ; Zero based row in listview

Do
        $bDelete = False ; Default

; This reads the data - (tested - no problem).

$sSubject = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 0)
        $sStatus = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 1)
        $sSize = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 2)
        $sDate = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 3)
        $sPoster = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 4)
        $sGroup = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 5)

; Identifies if a row should be deleted and sets the flag $bDelete to True (tested - no problem).
        Select

Case StringLeft($sStatus, 8) = "Idle/Old"
                $bDelete = True

Case StringInStr($sGroup, "Test1") > 0
                $bDelete = True

Case StringInStr($sSubject, "Test2") > 0
                $bDelete = True

EndSelect

; If the row should be deleted, select it in the same way as a Ctrl+Left Mouse Click.

; (tested the following but the "select" didn't stick.  See note below regarding ControlSend Down. 

If $bDelete = True Then ;
            ;_GUICtrlListView_SetItemSelected($hCntrlLV1,$iCurRow)
            ; ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1,"Select", $iCurRow)
            ;_GUICtrlListView_SetSelectionMark($hCntrlLV1, $iCurRow)
            $bDelete = False ; Reset the flag
        EndIf

;   Move to the next row and increment the current row counter. (tested - no problem).

; Pressing the down arrow deselects any Selected records.       
        ; Is there another method for moving up or down a listview?
        ControlSend($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "{Down}")
        $iCurRow = $iCurRow + 1

; Keep going until the end of the List View is reached.
    Until $iCurRow = $iMaxRows

; Get the number of items "Selected" in the List View. (tested - Both show 1 record selected.)

$iSelected = 0
        $iSelected = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetSelectedCount")
    MsgBox(262144, 'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber, 'Selection:' & @CRLF & '$iSelected' & @CRLF & @CRLF & 'Return:' & @CRLF & $iSelected) ;### Debug MSGBOX

$iSelected = 0
    $iSelected = _GUICtrlListView_GetSelectedCount($hCntrlLV1)
    MsgBox(262144, 'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber, 'Selection:' & @CRLF & '$iSelected' & @CRLF & @CRLF & 'Return:' & @CRLF & $iSelected) ;### Debug MSGBOX

If $iSelected > 0 Then
        ;   MouseClick("left",506,70,1) ; This clicks a button to remove records. (tested by clicking button when cycling through each record - no problem)

EndIf

Else

MsgBox(0, "Error", "Form not active.") ; If the program isn't running then error out and quit

EndIf

Func Terminate()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>Terminate

• Moderators

OldGuyWalking,

ListViews can be created with either a single or multiple selection style - can you manually (usually with Ctrl pressed) select multiple options within the ListView?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Instead of selections you could try this :
1st step
- create an array "rows to remove"
- loop through the listview rows, get text, check the criteria, if true then store the row index in the array
2nd step
- loop through the array and use _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItem on each stored index

Melba23 - yes I can do a Control+Left Mouse Click in the listview. 

Mikell - Thank you. I'd thought of doing that.  I've done that in other scripts (I think I have another post somewhere on here where I did that exact thing except with comma delimited data I was pulling from the clipboard) .  In this case I'm working with a third party application so I have to work within their application.  I need to select the rows and then have the script press a button (Mark Items as Old) in the application.  It doesn't delete the rows, it just hides them.  I'm writing this because I've waited for over 2 years for the programmer to fix a filtering problem in their program that displays records that had previously been flagged as old but keep showing up.

Anyways - I have neighbors across the courtyard who decided to stay up and chat loudly (I think drinking was involved) until 4:30 this morning so I had time to keep plugging away at the problem.    Turns out I just hadn't found the right combination.  Trial and error wins again. 

The command I needed to use to move through the ListView without deselecting rows (the imporant part) was

_GUICtrlListView_GetNextItem($hCntrlLV1, 1).  <<-- This second parameter tells the function which row to start from.  I put this outside the loop.  Once the loop starts the command is  _GUICtrlListView_GetNextItem($hCntrlLV1) without the 2nd parameter.

The ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "Select", $iCurRow) command selects and highlights the row.  (The other two "select" functions I'd tried (see code) didn't seem to do anything with this ListView.)

Anyway, thank you for the suggestions.  Turned out I only had to read just about every _GUIListView command before I came across the right one.  2 hours well spent.... heh.

If WinExists($sTitle1, "") Then

$hWnd = WinActivate($sTitle1, "")
    If @error Then
        MsgBox(48, $sTitle1, "Could not activate the form.")
        Terminate
    EndIf

; Added this temporarily until I figure out why the Control Handle changed.
    MouseClick("left", 230, 316)
    $hCntrlLV1 = ControlGetFocus($hWnd)

;   $hCntrlLV1 = ControlGetHandle($hWnd, "", "SysListView328")

ControlFocus($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1)
    $iMaxRows = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetItemCount")
    $iMaxCols = _GUICtrlListView_GetColumnCount($hCntrlLV1)

ControlSend($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "{Home}")

$iCurRow = 0 ; Zero based row in listview

; Added this. This sets the starting point.  There's a 2nd one around
    ; line 102 that actually cycles through the ListView. It doesn't 
    ; move from row to row in the same way that ControlSend ({Down}) would.
    _GUICtrlListView_GetNextItem($hCntrlLV1, 1)

Do
        $bDelete = False ; Default

; This reads the data - (tested - no problem).

$sSubject = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 0)
        MsgBox(262144, 'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber, 'Selection:' & @CRLF & '$sSubject' & @CRLF & @CRLF & 'Return:' & @CRLF & $sSubject) ;### Debug MSGBOX
        $sStatus = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 1)
        $sSize = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 2)
        $sDate = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 3)
        $sPoster = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 4)
        $sGroup = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetText", $iCurRow, 5)

; Identifies the data and sets the flag $bDelete to True (tested - no problem).
        Select

Case StringLeft($sStatus, 8) = "Idle/Old"
                $bDelete = True

Case StringInStr($sGroup, "test1") > 0
                $bDelete = True

Case StringInStr($sSubject, ".txt") > 0
                $bDelete = True

EndSelect

; If the row should be deleted, select it in the same way as a Ctrl+Left Mouse Click.

; (tested the following. The first one works and displays each row that's selected..)

If $bDelete = True Then ;
            ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "Select", $iCurRow)
            ;_GUICtrlListView_SetSelectionMark($hCntrlLV1, $iCurRow)
            ;_GUICtrlListView_SetItemSelected($hCntrlLV1,$iCurRow)
            $bDelete = False ; Reset the flag
        EndIf

;   Move to the next row and increment the current row counter. (tested - no problem).

; Pressing the down arrow deselects any Selected records.
        ; This cycles to the next row in the listview
        _GUICtrlListView_GetNextItem($hCntrlLV1)
        ;ControlSend($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "{Down}")
        $iCurRow = $iCurRow + 1

; Keep going until the end of the List View is reached.
        ; Verified what row was being checked and if more than one row was being
        ; selected. 
        ; $iSelected = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetSelectedCount")
        ; MsgBox(262144, 'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber, '$iSelected = ' & $iSelected & @CRLF & '$iCurRow = ' & $iCurRow) ;### Debug MSGBOX

Until $iCurRow = $iMaxRows

; Get the number of items "Selected" in the List View.
    $iSelected = 0
    $iSelected = ControlListView($hWnd, "", $hCntrlLV1, "GetSelectedCount")
    MsgBox(262144, 'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber, '$iSelected = ' & $iSelected & @CRLF & '$iCurRow = ' & $iCurRow) ;### Debug MSGBOX

If $iSelected > 0 Then
        ;   MouseClick("left",506,70,1) ; This clicks a button to remove records. (tested by clicking button when cycling through each record - no problem)
    EndIf

Else

MsgBox(0, "Error", "Form not active.") ; If the program isn't running then error out and quit

EndIf

Edited by OldGuyWalking
Just some minor clarifications, grammar fixes, and spelling corrections.