Unable to execute the external program

VeeDub

Hi,

I am working on an AutoIt v3 script, which I have working under XP, but am encountering problems when I try and run on W2K.

The problem I am having occurs when I call an external program rsync.exe

I build a command string with a whole bunch of arguments depending on various options, and then I use Run to spawn the process

$Command = @comspec & " /c rsync.exe "  & (then a whole bunch of arguments) & "1>path\program_output.txt" & " " & "2>path\error_output.txt"
Run($Command, "",@SW_HIDE)

When I include the redirect statements (in W2K), the script falls over with "unable to execute the external program". If I remove the redirect statements the Run command works.

However if I change the script to open a cmd window:

$Command=@comspec & " /k "
Run($Command,"")

and then I manually paste the full command statement into the cmd window which the script has opened, then the full command including the redirect statements works fine.

That got me thinking that perhaps there might be some "hidden" characters in my $Command string that I couldn't see in the msgbox, so that what I was pasting into the cmd window manually - was somehow different to the actual $Command string being generated by the script.

So I wrote the $Command string to a text file, and then copied & pasted that string into the cmd window created by the script, and that works too B)

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to troubleshoot, ideally I'd like to just 'tweak' my script rather than completely re-write it. But ultimately I need to work out a way to make it work.

Thanks,

VW

Hi,

I just figured this out!

I stuck a set of quotes around the outside of the whole command string, and lo and behold it works.

$Command = @comspec & " /c " & """" & "<original command plus arguments including redirect statements>" & """"

Cheers,

VW

Hi,

Turns out I jumped to a conclusion. At the same time as I was testing the command-line argument, I commented out some code (which I thought I didn't need) which included a call to RunAsSet.

It turns out that when I change the credentials with RunAsSet, this breaks the command-line argument.

I haven't yet figured out exactly why this happens, but I am certain (this time) B) that it is RunAsSet which is causing the Run command to crash.

VW

• Developers

Do a search on RunAsSet and you will find an answer to this specific question a zillion times... B)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)