monitor the code executed

Hi there - quite a beginner to codding so please bare with me...

i am writing an autoit code that will be running 24/7 executing various tasks every 10-20 minutes. it suppose to run on unattended server but i would like to occasionally remote log in and do stuff on the server without disturbing the autoit script (while the autoit script is in Sleep count). to achieve this I will need to know at what point in the commands run it is  and how long roughly until the next command (I use Sleep in between commands)...

so, is there a way to create a monitor that shows me the last command executed and how long of the Sleep is left (like in a small window or in the windows task bar)?

failing that any idea how can I utilize the FileWriteLog function to keep updating an always open text file ?

thanks in advance

michel

hi and thanks for the answer... what I really would have liked is a countdown clock of a kind that will tell me how long I have before the next command/end of Sleep... but maybe its not possible within autoit...:(

so if I understand correctly I can use   _FileWriteLog  to write to an open text file (opened in notepad for example so I can read it whenever I log in)... any idea how i get it to write to the file log.txt the command about to be executed - lets says Sleep (5000) followed by the time? and than I guess I will need to save the txt file...

Could create a small GUI with some debug info on there. I find consoles are always useful. There's also a debugging option in the AutoItSetOption parameters.

; -- Created with ISN Form Studio 2 for ISN AutoIt Studio -- ;
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GuiButton.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <Date.au3>

AutoItSetOption("TrayMenuMode", 3)
AutoItSetOption("TrayIconDebug", 3)

Global $hMain = GUICreate("Example", 400, 300, -1, -1, BitOR($WS_SIZEBOX, $WS_MAXIMIZEBOX, $WS_MINIMIZEBOX))
Global $edtDebug = GUICtrlCreateEdit("Initiated @ " & _NowDate() & " : " & _NowTime(5) & @CRLF, 10, 10, 380, 225, BitOR($ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $ES_AUTOHSCROLL), -1)
Global $lblCurrentTimer = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Current Timer", 14, 250, 100, 20, -1, -1)
Global $lblTimer = GUICtrlCreateLabel(0, 114, 250, 100, 20, -1, -1)
Global $tidShowHide = TrayCreateItem("Show Debugger")
Global $tidExit = TrayCreateItem("Exit")

Global $iTimer = TimerInit()

GUICtrlSetFont($edtDebug, 10, 400, 0, "Consolas")
GUICtrlSetColor($edtDebug, "0xE1E1E1")
GUICtrlSetBkColor($edtDebug, "0x1E1E1E")
GUICtrlSetResizing($edtDebug, 102)
GUICtrlSetFont($lblCurrentTimer, 10, 400, 0, "Segoe UI")
GUICtrlSetBkColor($lblCurrentTimer, "-2")
GUICtrlSetResizing($lblCurrentTimer, 66)
GUICtrlSetFont($lblTimer, 10, 400, 0, "Segoe UI")
GUICtrlSetBkColor($lblTimer, "-2")
GUICtrlSetResizing($lblTimer, 66)

While (True)
    Switch (TrayGetMsg())
        Case $tidShowHide
            If (TrayItemGetText($tidShowHide) = "Show Debugger") Then
                Debug("Showing debugger" & @CRLF)
                GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hMain)
                TrayItemSetText($tidShowHide, "Hide Debugger")
            Else
                Debug("Hiding debugger" & @CRLF)
                GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $hMain)
                TrayItemSetText($tidShowHide, "Show Debugger")
            EndIf
        Case $tidExit
            GUIDelete($hMain)
            Exit 0
    EndSwitch
    Switch (GUIGetMsg())
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            GUIDelete($hMain)
            Exit 0
        Case Else
            GUICtrlSetData($lblTimer, Round(TimerDiff($iTimer) / 1000, 2))
            If (TimerDiff($iTimer) > 30000) Then
                Debug("Timer reached max timeout, resetting" & @CRLF)
                $iTimer = TimerInit()
            EndIf
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Func Debug($sMsg)
    $sMsg = "[" & _NowDate() & "] [" & _NowTime(5) & "] " & $sMsg
    GUICtrlSetData($edtDebug, GUICtrlRead($edtDebug) & $sMsg)
EndFunc   ;==>Debug

Func FileWriteToLog(Const $sMsg)
    Local $hLogFile = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & "\My log file.log")
    If ($hLogFile) Then
        FileWrite($hLogFile, $sMsg)
        Return FileClose($hLogFile)
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>FileWriteToLog

2 hours ago, mmoalem said:

hi and thanks for the answer... what I really would have liked is a countdown clock of a kind that will tell me how long I have before the next command/end of Sleep... but maybe its not possible within autoit...:(

so if I understand correctly I can use   _FileWriteLog  to write to an open text file (opened in notepad for example so I can read it whenever I log in)... any idea how i get it to write to the file log.txt the command about to be executed - lets says Sleep (5000) followed by the time? and than I guess I will need to save the txt file...

Anything is possible with autoit.  Just depends on how much time and determination you have. 

Hi @mmoalem
Is also helpful for you that you know that there is different ways to make this script run on background and you still can interact with the System without interrupting the script even if the script is doing his task.

For example if your entire script use @SW_HIDE flag on anything the script execute or run and also only use ControlSend or ControlClick then you should not be worry to connect to the remote system running the script even if the script is doing his tasks.

Kind Regards
Alien.

... If you just need to monitor the sleep() countdown between tasks, then  you could use this _VisualSleep() function instead of the normal Sleep()

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

_VisualSleep(90000) ; wait one minute and a half

Func _VisualSleep($iDelay, $bAllowEscape = False)
    Local $hMonitor = GUICreate("Sleeping", 200, 30, -1, -1, -1, BitOR($WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW, $WS_EX_TOPMOST))
    Local $idProgressbar = GUICtrlCreateProgress(0, 0, 200, 30)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
    Local $iTimeElapsed, $iTimeLeft, $iPercentage, $iRefreshTime, $sHHMMSS
    Local $iTimer = TimerInit()
    Do
        Switch GUIGetMsg() ; this also save from cpu overload
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                If $bAllowEscape Then ; if True, reset of counter is allowed
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
        EndSwitch
        $iTimeElapsed = TimerDiff($iTimer)
        If $iRefreshTime - $iTimeElapsed < 0 Then ; limits refresh rate to 1 second
            $iRefreshTime = $iTimeElapsed + 1000
            $iTimeLeft = ($iDelay - $iTimeElapsed) / 1000 ; in seconds
            $iPercentage = Int(100 / $iDelay * $iTimeElapsed)
            GUICtrlSetData($idProgressbar, 100 - $iPercentage) ; progressbar go backwards
            $sHHMMSS = StringFormat("%02d:%02d:%02d", Floor($iTimeLeft / 3600), Mod(Floor($iTimeLeft / 60), 60), Mod($iTimeLeft, 60))
            WinSetTitle($hMonitor, "", $sHHMMSS) ; show countdown on window title
        EndIf
    Until $iTimeElapsed >= $iDelay
    GUIDelete($hMonitor)
EndFunc   ;==>_VisualSleep

p.s. also, have a look to the ProgressOn() and related functions

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

Or something much simpler...

Func _Sleep($MS)
    $Timer = TimerInit()
    While 1
        $Diff = TimerDiff($Timer)
        If $Diff >= $MS Then
            ToolTip("")
            Return
        EndIf
        ToolTip(Int(($MS - $Diff) / 1000)) ; put this somewhere static
        Sleep(1000)
    WEnd
EndFunc

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

WOW! woke up this morning to this huge list of suggestions! thank U all...

have to admit - most of these looks way to complicated in my early stage of learnng this languege but will spend some time studying them and see if i can make one of the work for me...

Thank U once more for all the help

another suggestion is simply have a separate exe that is the timer to handle the multi-task. I would suggest a system tray icon that changed color depending on the amount of time left. Go from green to yellow to red and have it so you can do a mouse over to check the time. 

OK so managed to both understand and implement what seemed to me the simplest solution from JohnOne

15 hours ago, JohnOne said:

Or something much simpler...

Func _Sleep($MS)
    $Timer = TimerInit()
    While 1
        $Diff = TimerDiff($Timer)
        If $Diff >= $MS Then
            ToolTip("")
            Return
        EndIf
        ToolTip(Int(($MS - $Diff) / 1000)) ; put this somewhere static
        Sleep(1000)
    WEnd
EndFunc

Now might be a simple question but can I display the time in hours:minutes:seconds? at the moment it seems to show countdown in seconds only...

thanks JohnOne, very kind of you to help so much...

I will look at adopting your solution from the other thread but if I may, i have another problem to solve... I would like to log every command after it is executed... I have thousand lines of code so impractical to write a FileWriteLog command after each line... is there a way to use a function at the head of the script to achieve this?

I need this because In case windows crash I need to know at what point the script been interrupted...

thanks again - I knew about it but couldn't find the option in Tools until I realised now that there is a compact version and an extended version of Scite...

anyway - it does exactly what I need except for the output need to be to a file rather than console as if the server crashed I would lose the console records (I think???)...

also, I'm not clear how ConsoleWrite works once compiled and run independently from Scite

this would be a simple way to log stuff happening

;somthing happened
_LogEvent("something happened")

func _LogEvent($event)
$file=fileopen("log.txt",1)
if $file=-1 then
msgbox("","","file failed to open")
endif

filewriteline($file,_Now() & $event)
fileclose($file)
endfunc

untested

Edited by markyrocks

1 hour ago, mmoalem said:

thanks again - I knew about it but couldn't find the option in Tools until I realised now that there is a compact version and an extended version of Scite...

anyway - it does exactly what I need except for the output need to be to a file rather than console as if the server crashed I would lose the console records (I think???)...

also, I'm not clear how ConsoleWrite works once compiled and run independently from Scite

Well you user a Regex or a stringreplace on your script to Change ConsoleWrite( to _YourFunction(

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.