Tutorial: Complete walkthrough for joining AutoIt's IRC Channel using a desktop client

Hello Guys! :D. I have been busy with my exams... They are finished now, so summer holidays! :lol:

I am been working very hard to bring back the reputation for AutoIt in IRC, I recently made a unofficial channel for AutoIt at freenode (freenode is a very popular IRC Network for FOSS [Free and Open Source Software]). You can check this topic if you want:

Introduction

This tutorial will guide you from start to finish covering each and every small step (no matter how small to make it more IRC newbie friendly) so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of IRC and the IRC Community. Please read the whole post for better understanding.

Ok, lets begin our IRC adventure! :D

Installing HexChat

You might wonder why do you need HexChat, why not use the free and no installation needed online IRC client? Well, most online clients might be quick and easy to setup but don't offer much option and power, moreover they even show your IP in the public!

For the above reason, we are using a neat desktop client called HexChat! (Its FOSS too!)

Here are the steps you need to follow:

1. As you might have expected, you need to download the installer first. Here is the link to the download page: http://hexchat.github.io/downloads.html. You need to select the best option for you, here are some pointers:

8QpAuit.png?1

2. After downloading the installer, install it... Here is a small video which I made to help you :):

Configuring HexChat

This is the most important step in our journey, Configuration. After launching HexChat, it will prompt you to configure it, simply follow these steps:

1. This is the initial window, find "freenode" in the "Networks" List:

dc7jqcA.png

2. Select it and click "Favour" (optional but recommended).

3. Change the values in the input boxes as you wish (I have set mine in the screenshot).

4. Click edit and you will be prompted by a screen, click the "Autojoin channels" and add "##AutoIt" to it.

9iYMFx7.png

5. Click "Close"

6. Click "Connect" in the previous window and wait for it to automatically connect to ##AutoIt :D.

7. Vola! You are done! You can now chat like blah blah blah.....

QJPQEPe.png

Some extra optional work

1. Type "/msg NickServ REGISTER <any password> <your email address>"

2. Verify your email

3. Open network manager by doing Ctrl + S

4. Find freenode in the network list and click edit

5. Enter your password and click "Close"

6. Click on the "freenode" tab and enter this command: "/stats p". You will get a list of active staff members:

uaAW9d9.png

7. Type "/query <nickname of the staff member> <message>"
Replace <message> with a message asking for a "cloak", something like this would do the trick: "Hello, I want a cloak for account"

8. Wait for the staff member to give you the cloak. :)

That's it! You are done!

End comments by the author of this tutorial

I am glad that you are still reading until the end :), You have just made a BIG contribution to freenode ##AutoIt IRC Community! Thank you very much for that :thumbsup:

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, FEEL FREE TO PM ME HERE OR /msg TheDcoder <message> ON IRC.

Edited by TheDcoder
Updated the "Some extra optional work" section!

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

@JohnOne There are many benefits, you can talk with fellow AutoIt Enthusiasts, Chatting helps know people better, get instant responses etc. etc.

P.S You just made in time, I was gonna log off, See ya tonight in ##AutoIt!

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

Currently 7 but it will be 6 soon (because I will be logging off), Its not real popular yet, I am working on the IRC Bot :)

12 hours ago, TheDcoder said:

I am working on the IRC Bot :)

And I've finally got a reason other than myself to work on the IRC udf. :lol:

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the background I use for HexChat, forget where I got it ... a Google search on the filename returned zilch. Much easier on the eyes.

yellow_canvas_seamless.jpg.a26859bf6bac7

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

just join the ##Autoit and got me and admin symbol (@) :), I'm not even a registered user.
That should not happen. You'd have to register the channel.

Also joined #Autoit. No admins there, just another user and I.

Ok, bye bye. 

..ok, I may have been on a split and that was why I had the channel for my own.

nope. I misspelled the channel :>

Edited by argumentum

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png