autoit switch case zero = null

should null = 0?  in a larger scope I had a guictrl.. that I had not defined because of logic in program.(may be defined when needed)

in the while loop I was getting a hit on the unitialized  control.

I was able to get around by including a case $gui_event_none to suck up the zero event first.

test.au3

Just now, JohnOne said:

Show in code how you had this ... "guictrl.. that I had not defined" and "unitialized  control".

Just post the code here in tags.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Global $tableCount1 ; may become controlID in this example I used $foo but did not initialize it.
Global $tableCount2
Global $tableCount3
Global $tableCount4
Global $tableCount5

Global $foo ; 
If 1 = 2 Then $foo = 1
GUICreate("test", 200, 200)
GUISetState()

While 1
    Global $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch ($msg)
    ;    Case $gui_event_none
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
        Case $foo
            MsgBox($mb_systemmodal, "got here",$msg& " yes " &$foo)
    EndSwitch
WEnd

@JohnOne said post in tags, so please post your code in tags. Another issue I see is Global should be declared outside the loop, if you don't want to sacrifice performance. Now on to your issue, define $foo as -9999 and it should be okay

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

This was just a quick example to show my concern. Now that i know what is happening I can work around it easily. I was more concerned that in the switch..case $foo with no value (null) = 0 (gui_event_none), I don't think that null should = 0, and yes I realize this is a long standing programming quaqgmire. But I thought that it was agreed that null and zero are not the same.

If you read the help file about Switch and understand the term case-insensitive, then it will become more clear why an undefined variable == 0. For the record an undefined variable is not assigned with Null, it's an empty string i.e. "" = 0

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

thanks for the reply, I appreciate the assistance. I have read the help file (a lot), not sure how the case-insensitive applies here. I am using switch.. case to compare two numeric values ControlID, a numeric value returned upon creating a control.( but in this case it has not been assigned yet, and the  value guigetmsg returned in this instance a 0    = $gui_event_none, so now we are comparing a zero (0) against no value and getting a hit. This still does not sound quite right to me.

Search Google as to what case-insensitive means, this is a basic fundamental. Anyway, there is no bug, just a min-understanding on your part that in AutoIt 0 = an empty string.

UDF List:

Just now, guinness said:

If you read the help file about Switch and understand the term case-insensitive, then it will become more clear why an undefined variable == 0. For the record an undefined variable is not assigned with Null, it's an empty string i.e. "" = 0

researching a bit further, it seems that in most computer languages an empty string somehow equals string 0, I may not like that, but I will have to accept it. Thanks again for your assistance.

44 minutes ago, winston said:

it is a one line if.. then

no endif is needed.

Idk where your getting this from but 

How will 1=2 when on what planet or circumstances will this happen. 

In autoit even putting something after the then on the same line  in an if statement will throw an error.   Are you actually using an autoit editor or are you just making stuff up?

Edited by markyrocks

@markyrocks, that's perfectly legit AutoIt syntax, it's a single-line if statement and documented in the help file. Maybe should brush up on the basics!

@winston, the web is built upon loosely based language types and so far no major problems have occurred. Did you research what case-insensitive means? As you could be explicit when type checking e.g. "" == ("" & 0) is now case-sensitive comparison

UDF List:

That's fine but there's no mention of it here... 

Keyword ReferenceIf...ElseIf...Else...EndIf

Conditionally run statements.

If <expression> Then
statements
[ElseIf expression-n Then
[elseif statements ... ]]
[Else
[else statements]
EndIf

ParametersexpressionIf the expression is true, the first statement block is executed. If not, the first true ElseIf block is executed. Otherwise, the "Else" block is executed.Remarks

If statements may be nested.
The expression can contain the boolean operators of And, Or, and Not as well as the logical operators <, <=, >, >=, =, ==, and <> grouped with parentheses as needed.

Related

If...Then, Select...Case...EndSelect, Switch...EndSwitch, Ternary

Example

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> Local $sString = "" If $sString > 0 Then     MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Value is positive.") ElseIf $sString < 0 Then     MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Value is negative.") Else     If StringIsXDigit($sString) Then         MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Value might be hexadecimal!")     Else         MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Value is a string.")     EndIf EndIf 

Found its referencefor single line statement now but is there some special circumstances where 1=2?

Edited by markyrocks

Just now, guinness said:

@markyrocks, that's perfectly legit AutoIt syntax, it's a single-line if statement and documented in the help file. Maybe should brush up on the basics!

@winston, the web is built upon loosely based language types and so far no major problems have occurred. Did you research what case-insensitive means? As you could be explicit when type checking e.g. "" == ("" & 0) is now case-sensitive comparison

I did, and now I have a headache. I learned a lot about null ,0, empty strings,voids blanks. Once I found out what the problem was, it was easy to get around. I will admit I spent several hours trying to figure out where an an array was getting modified when i was sure that I should not ever be running that code. I have a fairly long case list and never dreamed that one i hadn't coded out yet was running. Thanks again for your assistance.

Just now, markyrocks said:

That's fine but there's no mention of it here... 

Keyword ReferenceIf...ElseIf...Else...EndIf

Conditionally run statements.

If <expression> Then
statements
[ElseIf expression-n Then
[elseif statements ... ]]
[Else
[else statements]
EndIf

ParametersexpressionIf the expression is true, the first statement block is executed. If not, the first true ElseIf block is executed. Otherwise, the "Else" block is executed.Remarks

If statements may be nested.
The expression can contain the boolean operators of And, Or, and Not as well as the logical operators <, <=, >, >=, =, ==, and <> grouped with parentheses as needed.

Related

If...Then, Select...Case...EndSelect, Switch...EndSwitch, Ternary

Example

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> Local $sString = "" If $sString > 0 Then     MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Value is positive.") ElseIf $sString < 0 Then     MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Value is negative.") Else     If StringIsXDigit($sString) Then         MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Value might be hexadecimal!")     Else         MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Value is a string.")     EndIf EndIf 

check just if... then

@markyrocks, no need to copy the help file here, I'm aware of it's contents thank you, since I re-wrote that section. 1 != 2, it was just an example by the OP as a way of creating a flag for flipping between setting the variable and not.

UDF List:

33 minutes ago, guinness said:

@markyrocks, no need to copy the help file here, I'm aware of it's contents thank you, since I re-wrote that section. 1 != 2, it was just an example by the OP as a way of creating a flag for flipping between setting the variable and not.

I apologize but for whatever reason I can't post a link. .. .. it's kinda hard to learn all the caveats of a specific keyword if all the info on the word isn't gathered in the same spot.  I've been using autoit on and off for a few years now and have never seen a single line if statement.  

When I post a link it look this

this HTML class. Value is https://www.autoitsc

Edited by markyrocks

2 hours ago, winston said:

I may not like that, but I will have to accept it.

You can tighten things up with extra code to make stricter comparisons. This often involves jumping through a few hoops, but if it solves a problem then there's no reason why you shouldn't do it. Check out VarGetType() : zero is an integer and null is a keyword.

Edited by czardas