ConsoleWrite only outputting ASCII/ANSI?

I might be doing something wrong but I'm running a CUI compiled application in Powershell ISE and it's not outputting unicode characters in the console. I for a fact Powershell ISE supports unicode so I'm thinking it's something with AutoIt. Does ConsoleWrite just not output Unicode? Do CUI compiled applications run inside the old Windows Console when executed through Powershell? is there something else preventing this?

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF

Should work with console in UTF8 and consolewriting string converted to UTF8.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

15 hours ago, jchd said:

and consolewriting string converted to UTF8.

What do you mean? I mean if I run in Powershell:

echo η γλώσσα μου έδωσαν ελληνική

It outputs

η γλώσσα μου έδωσαν ελληνική

However, if I run a compiled CUI autoit script that's just

ConsoleWrite("η γλώσσα μου έδωσαν ελληνική" & @CRLF)

It outputs

? ???ssa µ?? ?d?sa? e???????

Is there a setting I have to set in Autoit?

Edit: Never mind. Under "Unicode Support" it clearly states:

Console operations are converted to ANSI.

Edited by rcmaehl

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

What does this do?

ConsoleWrite(BinaryToString(StringToBinary("η γλώσσα μου έδωσαν ελληνική", 4), 1) & @CRLF)

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

4 minutes ago, jchd said:

What does this do?

ConsoleWrite(BinaryToString(StringToBinary("η γλώσσα μου έδωσαν ελληνική", 4), 1) & @CRLF)

Writes properly in SciTE console now before compiling. After compiling Powershell outputs:

instead of 

? ???ssa µ?? ?d?sa? e???????

However, I noticed after posting the last post that in Unicode Support in the help file it states:

Console operations are converted to ANSI.

Which means I probably need to put in a feature request ticket for this in the bug tracker if possible.

Edited by rcmaehl

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

Maybe there is a possibility to set the console to Unicode (UTF8), by forcing "chcp 65001" or something equivalent as the initial default codepage setting, but I'm not much experienced with CUI.

Just now, jchd said:

Maybe there is a possibility to set the console to Unicode (UTF8), by forcing "chcp 65001" or something equivalent as the initial default codepage setting, but I'm not much experienced with CUI.

Already tried that. Nothing changed.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

There must be a registry setting hidden somewhere, but only MS knows where.

Yes I made it work. In registry go to HKCU/Console and add two new keys:

CodePage (DW) = FDE9 (this is 65001)

Facename (String) = "Lucida Console" (warning, case sensitive!!!)

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Change2CUI=y

ConsoleWrite(BinaryToString(StringToBinary("η γλώσσα μου έδωσαν ελληνική ЊЋЌЎЏАБВГДЕЖЗИЙКЛЩЯ ⅛⅜⅝⅞ ∙≠≡≤≥⌂", 4), 1) & @CRLF)
Sleep(5000)

You can use any fixed pitch font, like DejaVu Sans Mono, etc. Change window size, fontsize, ... accordingly so that out is easily readable.

EDIT: forgot to mention that it's quite possible that some other CUI tool wouldn't like those settings. Also verify that your system boots correctly after changes.

Best of luck!

Edited by jchd

On 4/11/2016 at 11:33 AM, jchd said:

EDIT: forgot to mention that it's quite possible that some other CUI tool wouldn't like those settings. Also verify that your system boots correctly after changes.

Ouch. Would prefer not to suggest changing the registry with something that could mess up boot as a bypass to a glitch I can't fix.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

Since this setting is in user reg space, I don't believe it would stop booting. Also you can change regsitry at program startup and revert changes at termination. Just try.

• 6 years later...
On 4/10/2016 at 1:31 AM, rcmaehl said:

I'm running a CUI compiled application in Powershell ISE and it's not outputting unicode characters in the console. I for a fact Powershell ISE supports unicode so I'm thinking it's something with AutoIt. Does ConsoleWrite just not output Unicode?

Force PS to use UTF8:

PowerShell 7.2.4
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.

https://aka.ms/powershell
Type 'help' to get help.

PS C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7> chcp
Page de codes active : 850
PS C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7> chcp 65001
Page de codes active : 65001
PS C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7>  echo "η γλώσσα μου έδωσαν ελληνική"
PS C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7>

There must be a hidden setting somewhere, probably in registry, to set PS default charset.