Why doesnt mouseclick work in windowed-mode applications

I run a dual monitor setup (side by side) and i dabble a little in the financial markets. i use an application through my broker and i was hoping to automate some simple task. i am a total newbie at scripting but i managed to figure out simple commands like mousemove, mouseclick, send, sleep which are pretty much sufficient for my needs.

what i was hoping to do was while viewing 1 application on my 2nd monitor (on the right), the script would send the mouse cursor to the 1st monitor (primary monitor on the left) and do some simple clicks and some keyboard strokes on my broker's application. i am able to get the cursor to move where i want it to but when it comes to executing clicks and keystrokes (let alone keystrokes) it does not register in the application. the only thing i see is the MouseMove working perfectly but nothing gets input into the windowed application.

MouseMove(900,580)
Sleep(1000)
MouseClick("Left")
Sleep(1000)
MouseClick("Left")
Sleep(1000)
MouseMove(870,200)

this is what i have written so far. if i minimize the application the clicks work cause i see the clicks selecting my desktop shortcuts but when i bring up the application the clicks dont work in the application. why is this the case?