Creating new excel file

Hey guys.

I've been searching, and reading the documentation, but I can't get this to work.

I need to programmatically create a new Excel (xlsx) file in a directory.

The examples I've seen online are using an excel workbook that already exists, and just renaming it or changing the file format.

I'm sure it is really simple, but I can't get it to work. This is what I have:

Local $oExcelTest = _Excel_Open()
_Excel_BookNew($oExcelTest,5)
Local $sWorkbook = @ScriptDir & "\testFile.xlsx"
_Excel_BookSaveAs($oExcelTest, "testFile.xlsx", $xlWorkbookDefault, True);
Sleep(50);

I've tried making the 2nd parameter $sWorkbook, but that doesn't change anything. The script does open a new excel window with 5 sheets, but it doesn't change the name and save it.

What is the value of @error after you have called

#include <Excel.au3>
Global $oExcel = _Excel_Open()
Global $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookNew($oExcelTest, 5)
Global $sWorkbook = @ScriptDir & "\testFile.xlsx"
_Excel_BookSaveAs($oWorkbook, $sWorkbook, $xlWorkbookDefault, True)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Interesting, that seemed to have worked. I had to change the line that you posted

Global $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookNew($oExcelTest, 5)

to "_Excel_BookNew($oExcel,5)"

but then it worked. Thanks.

I guess my code was not working because I didn't assign the return value of _Excel_BookOpen to an object, and then not using that object, so the SaveAs didn't know what to point to.

Interestingly enough, the @error value was zero for both your code and my code.

Thanks for the help!

2 minutes ago, Nighterfighter said:

I guess my code was not working because I didn't assign the return value of _Excel_BookOpen to an object, and then not using that object, so the SaveAs didn't know what to point to.

Interestingly enough, the @error value was zero for both your code and my code.

Correct. _Excel_BookSaveAs expects the workbook object as parameter 1. You provided the Excel application object so it failed.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki