Getting SETACL to set registry key to deny all permissions.

I am using SETACL in my script. Although I would like it to deny the permission of SYSTEM for my "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents" reg key.

I can get it to grant full access, but am having issues getting it to set it as deny. Any help? Thanks in advanced.

• Moderators

@ReconX Why would you possibly want to deny permissions for SYSTEM to any reg key? I can't think of a single scenario where that would be a good idea.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

As of recently, activating Windows XP has been a a pain in the rear. I have my activation product key, although it doesn't actually activate the OS. There is a way around it tho, by using the registry to accept it. Which requires me to deny the SYSTEM any permissions to WPAEvents reg key.

And yes, I do know about the specifics of what key activates what, and have been fighting with it for a while now. This just seems like a simpler task. I have my reasons for needing it which is why I would like to get help with this.

Which brings me to my question. How would I deny permission to the registry key using SETACL?

Edited by ReconX