"Taskill.exe - unable to locate component" error

When I compile using taskkill.exe /F /IM "%scriptfile%.exe" in the Run Before tab, I get a message that says "This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I've verified that taskkill.exe exists in the \system32 folder, and framedyn.dll exists in the \system32\wbam folder.

I haven't found any posts on this. Anyone know how to fix this?

• Developers

This sounds like an widows issue and you get quite some hits with google.
Does it work when running the compiled script yourself from the commandprompt or  explorer?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I searched for this on Google first, but nothing was specific enough. It always refers to "this application." I have no idea what "this" refers to.

Not sure what you mean by "running the compiled script yourself from the command prompt or explorer". Do you mean "compiling" the script from the command prompt? I have no problem compiling or running the script.

The problem is when I compile. Just before it compiles, that message pops up. It doesn't close the open app before compiling, but is compiles fine and runs fine.

• Developers
1 hour ago, DickG said:

I have no problem compiling or running the script.

1 hour ago, DickG said:

The problem is when I compile.

Sounds like a contradiction :)

So you get the error with a #autoIt3Wrapper_RunBefore command or something when do the compile script in SciTE (F7)?

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

... and the answer to my other question is yes?

What happens when you run that taskkill command you specified from the CMD prompt?  Test this with the proper version of CMD!  So when you run AutoIt3.exe use the x86 CMD version!

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Not sure what other question you mean. I only noticed this question:

So you get the error with a #autoIt3Wrapper_RunBefore command or something when do the compile script in SciTE (F7)?

Yes, I am using the x86 option when compiling.

By "that command", I assume you mean "taskkill.exe %scriptfile%.exe"?

I ran "taskkill.exe %scriptfile%.exe" from Cmd prompt, and I get the same message.

I also tried just "taskkill.exe /?" from a Cmd prompt and get the same message.

But when I compile the same script from a different computer, I don't get the error message.

So it seems like it's a problem with one of my two computers. But I have not been to identify why. Both files exist (taskkill.exe and framedyn.dll). I'm baffled.

• Developers

Check for the availability of the 32bits version of the dll on the computer with the error. So you need to check C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I have no SysWOW64 folder (or file) on either computer. Not sure what that is. It that for 64 bits?

I checked the version of taskkill.exe in \system32, and it's 5.1.2600.5512, and it's identical to the other computer (without the error).

It used to compile fine without that message on the computer with the error. I don't know what I could have done to cause that.

It almost sounds like something is not registered right. The file is there, but it acts like it isn't.

I noticed that the file on the computer w/o error had a slightly different date (by 1 day), so I copied it over to the other computer. But that didn't change anything. I also ran Registry Fix, but that didn't fix the problem either.

When I run sfc /scannow on the computer with the error, I get an error. It says "Windows File Protection cannot initiate a scan of protected system files. Then shows the error: 06ba.

When I try to run that on the other computer, it wants me to insert the Windows CD. When I do, it can't find the file. It even prevents me from cancelling. I would have to "Cancel", then "Yes" to "Skip this file?" for every file. I had to reboot.

Is there another way to run a scan?

I also tried "ProcessClose" in the Run Before/After to replace "taskkill.exe", but it doesn't do anything. It just compiles w/o error, but doesn't close the open app that it is compiling. But I do get an error at the end about not being to close a file in the AutoItEXE folder.

Your operating system is corrupted and can not be repaired.
Temporary solution when you do not want to reinstall the operating system:

Create and compile this script and rename it whatever name you want
VD: AutoItKill.exe and copy it to the system32 and syswow64

#RequireAdmin

ConsoleWrite("! Kill " & $CmdLine[0] & " Apps!" & @CRLF)
For $i = 1 To $CmdLine[0]
    ConsoleWrite("! Kill App:" & $CmdLine[$i] & @CRLF)
    ToolTip("! Kill App:" & $CmdLine[$i] & " " & ProcessClose($CmdLine[$i]))
Next

and now you can use it to kill the program: AutoItKill.exe "SomeApp.exe" "Other.exe"

Regards,

OK, I'm back.

What I meant by "Both computers?" was that you my operating system is corrupt and cannot be repaired. I assume that's because I can't run sfc /scannow on either computer? So I was wondering if you meant that the OS is corrupt on both computers.

I did not run AutoKill before I had to leave.

But I compiled the script, copied it to the \system32 folder, and changed the Run Before/After command to AutoKill.exe /F /IM %scriptfile%.exe, and it works! Hot dog! Awesome! It closed the app that I had purposely let open to see what it did. Worked like a charm! Awesome little script. Thanks much!!!

Now I am wondering, because taskkill.exe had used "/F /IM" after it, is that still necessary for AutoKill?