prevent a script from showing up in the processlist?

rakudave

well, perhaps this is a n00b question, but:

is it possible to prevent a script from showing up in the processlist?

(taskmanager AND perhaps also "processlist()" )

btw: i'm not up to some evil stuff, i'm needing it for a script i wrote to limit the access to a pc

(like: "you got one hour left...")

unfortunateley my brother is smart enoung to kill the script via taskmanager, so i need help...

thx

Edited by rakudave

well, perhaps this is a n00b question, but:

is it possible to prevent a script from showing up in the processlist?

(taskmanager AND perhaps also "processlist()" )

btw: i'm not up to some evil stuff, i'm needing it for a script i wrote to limit the access to a pc

(like: "you got one hour left...")

unfortunateley my brother is smart enoung to kill the script via taskmanager, so i need help...

thx

I do not think that is possible. What you could do is compile your script and rename it to something that is not unusual in the process list (ie iexplore.exe).

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

What you are trying to do could be accomplished with a rootkit. I want to be very clear at this point. I do not encourage anyone to use rootkit technology on any system that is not owned or controlled by themselves. That being said, it can be a good way to prevent guests on your own computer from doing things that you do not want them to do.

I do not think that is possible...

Oh it is quite possible - but let's not publish the "how to" code in this forum... instead stick with the "process watcher" scheme where you have two scripts running - each watching the other script in the process list.

You have several options here, but for what you described, I would shut the computer down if someone killed either script via task manager.

Consider adding this code to "Your_Main_Script":

Do ;this do/until must go near the top of the main script

Sleep(50)

Until ProcessExists("MySecondScript")

AdlibEnable("WatchSecondScript",50)

Func WatchSecondScript ()

If NOT ProcessExists("MySecondScript") Then Shutdown(9)

EndFunc

Make a second script "MySecondScript":

Do

Sleep(50)

Until ProcessExists("Your_Main_Script")

While 1

If NOT ProcessExists("Your_Main_Script" Then Shutdown(9)

Sleep(50)

WEnd

Warning! The code above is untested. You might want to replace each "shutdown line" with a msgbox during testing until you are sure you have the code perfect. And you might want to remind yourself how to start your system in a way that these two scripts do not launch... just in case.

There are other tricks that would make these two scripts even more robust, but let's not use those until your brother figures out how to kill these two scripts without the system shutting down.

Having one script watch another has been discussed several times before in this forum. You might want to read some of those posts in case I've forgotten some important aspect of the concept.

later

Edited by herewasplato

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]