WinHTTP - Setting option fails

Hi guys,

I am trying to automate searching on a website at work and I am failing so far with the very basic step of HTTP Get :D The website is only reachable via https.

I usually work with "WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1" and had no problems automating anything so far, but this website is a tricky one, it seems like it wants some kind of client certificate, or at least it wants it but doesn't require it. I removed all the client certificates in Firefox but the website still works, so I assume the client certificate is not necessary but optionally.

"WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1" always throws an client certificate error when i try to send a HTTP Get request. A window opens and is asking for MyCard authentication.

Now I am trying to automate it using the WinHTTP UDF, because I found a promising option on the msdn page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384066(v=vs.85).aspx#WINHTTP_OPTION_CLIENT_CERT_CONTEXT

If the server requests the certificate but does not require it, the application can specify this option to indicate that it does not have a certificate. The server can choose another authentication scheme or allow anonymous access to the server. The application provides theWINHTTP_NO_CLIENT_CERT_CONTEXT macro in the lpBuffer parameter of WinHttpSetOption as shown in the following code example.

BOOL fRet = WinHttpSetOption ( hRequest,
                               WINHTTP_OPTION_CLIENT_CERT_CONTEXT,
                               WINHTTP_NO_CLIENT_CERT_CONTEXT,
                               0); 

Now my problem is that i just can't call this option with the WinHTTP UDF. It always returns @error 3( IsPtr returned false).

I am really bad with dll calls, and I couldn't find any example for this option. I am sure the answer is pretty easy...

Does anyone know how to properly call the above option?

here an example:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_AU3Check_Parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6

#include "WinHttp.au3"

Global $hHost = "msdn.microsoft.com"
Global $hGet = "/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384066(v=vs.85).aspx"

; Initialize
Global $hOpen = _WinHttpOpen("")

If @error Then
    MsgBox(48, "Error", "Error initializing the usage of WinHTTP functions.")
    Exit 1
EndIf

; Specify what to connect to
Global $hConnect = _WinHttpConnect($hOpen, $hHost, $INTERNET_DEFAULT_HTTPS_PORT) ; <- yours here
If @error Then
    MsgBox(48, "Error", "Error specifying the initial target server of an HTTP request.")
    _WinHttpCloseHandle($hOpen)
    Exit 2
EndIf

; Create request
Global $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, "GET", $hGet, "HTTP/1.1", $WINHTTP_NO_REFERER, $WINHTTP_DEFAULT_ACCEPT_TYPES, $WINHTTP_FLAG_SECURE)
If @error Then
    MsgBox(48, "Error", "Error creating an HTTP request handle.")
    _WinHttpCloseHandle($hConnect)
    Exit 3
EndIf

_WinHttpSetOption($hRequest, $WINHTTP_OPTION_SECURITY_FLAGS, BitOR($SECURITY_FLAG_IGNORE_UNKNOWN_CA, $SECURITY_FLAG_IGNORE_CERT_DATE_INVALID, $SECURITY_FLAG_IGNORE_CERT_CN_INVALID, $SECURITY_FLAG_IGNORE_CERT_WRONG_USAGE))

;#######################################################################################################
Global Const $WINHTTP_NO_CLIENT_CERT_CONTEXT = Null
_WinHttpSetOption($hRequest, $WINHTTP_OPTION_CLIENT_CERT_CONTEXT, $WINHTTP_NO_CLIENT_CERT_CONTEXT);<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

MsgBox(16, "", @error)
Exit
;#######################################################################################################

; Send it
_WinHttpSendRequest($hRequest)
If @error Then
    MsgBox(48, "Error", "Error sending specified request.")
    _WinHttpCloseHandle($hRequest)
    Exit 4
EndIf

; Wait for the response
_WinHttpReceiveResponse($hRequest)
If @error Then
    MsgBox(48, "Error", "Error waiting for the response from the server.")
    Exit 5
EndIf

; See if there is data to read
Global $sChunk, $sData
If _WinHttpQueryDataAvailable($hRequest) Then
    ; Read
    While 1
        $sChunk = _WinHttpReadData($hRequest)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        $sData &= $sChunk
    WEnd
    MsgBox(0, "", $sData)
Else
    MsgBox(48, "Error", "Site is experiencing problems.")
EndIf

; Close handles when they are not needed any more

EDIT: Ok it was very easy and it works now, just needed to execute the following dllcall on the request:

DllCall($hWINHTTPDLL__WINHTTP, "bool", "WinHttpSetOption", "handle", $hRequest, "dword", $WINHTTP_OPTION_CLIENT_CERT_CONTEXT, "ptr", NULL, "dword", 0)

Edited by BBs19
added solution

Thanks, but I don't think that you understood what I wrote :)

It is not about a simple https request but a problem with the server which requests a client certificate but doesn't require it. I need a way to set the mentioned option of WinHTTP above to tell the server that I don't have a client certificate.

16 hours ago, BBs19 said:

it wants it but doesn't require it. I removed all the client certificates in Firefox but the website still works, so I assume the client certificate is not necessary but optionally.

you are confusing "client certificate" with "trusted certificate authority". you can strip a browser from whatever client certificate it may have, but it still trusts a list of certificate authorities (abbr. CA). that list is updated regularly (not too often though) by the browser vendor, and is used to determine if any HTTPS site is trustworthy.

i once encountered this issue but i did not investigate it to full resolution as i found a practical workaround - i enlisted the curl utility, which is distributed with its own trusted CA list. so i cannot offer any more assistance other then pinpointing the difference - what you need is to configure your HTTPS to utilize the trusted CA list (which you can export from your browser). if you are dealing with an intranet site, i tend to believe the easiest solution would be to first configure your browser to trust the local CA, then export that.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

5 hours ago, orbs said:

you are confusing "client certificate" with "trusted certificate authority". you can strip a browser from whatever client certificate it may have, but it still trusts a list of certificate authorities (abbr. CA). that list is updated regularly (not too often though) by the browser vendor, and is used to determine if any HTTPS site is trustworthy.

i once encountered this issue but i did not investigate it to full resolution as i found a practical workaround - i enlisted the curl utility, which is distributed with its own trusted CA list. so i cannot offer any more assistance other then pinpointing the difference - what you need is to configure your HTTPS to utilize the trusted CA list (which you can export from your browser). if you are dealing with an intranet site, i tend to believe the easiest solution would be to first configure your browser to trust the local CA, then export that.

But isn't that to authenticate the website certificate ? I have already added the option to ignore ssl errors above, so I am not sure how this would be relevant.

I also do get a "client authentication failed" with both WinHTTP and also when using "WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1". I don't even get to send the request.

I need a way to authenticate the user to the server and not other other way around. The MSDN site explains it well. Maybe I am confusing something completely, but I think if I was able to set the option suggested on the MSDN site, I would see :)

@AutoBert

Please read the first post, that script is just an example, I can't post the real site as it is an intranet site.

Edited by BBs19

In case anyone ever needs this, it was pretty easy, just needed to execute following dllcall for the request handle:

DllCall($hWINHTTPDLL__WINHTTP, "bool", "WinHttpSetOption", "handle", $hRequest, "dword", $WINHTTP_OPTION_CLIENT_CERT_CONTEXT, "ptr", NULL, "dword", 0)

This way we tell the server that we do not have any client certificate. It works now, the server replies properly.