Active windows changing script

Hi, I'am new here. Just to know if AutoIt could resolve my issue:

I need a script for switching between certain windows, just like does ALT+TAB. Each window in this case would be a Firefox in separate window. Basically no other windows will be open, only those to be viewed one by one - with certain (30 seconds) duration.

Doable?

Many thanks in advance!

• Moderators

@Milan158 - Yes

Edit: Looking for a little more explanation? So are we :)

The more you can provide on what you're trying to accomplish, and what you have tried on your own, will help us help you. What is the end goal, why do you need to switch windows every 30 seconds. And are they separate windows or tabs?

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Hi, we have an application called Messenger which shows status of several milling machines. This is displayed on a monitor hanging on the workshop wall. But when all machines should be shown, the details are no more visible. The group wiev was OK for 4 machines max but now we have 7.

The Messenger runs on a dedicated PC, and needs only a browser. The idea is to open a separate windows (or tabs) for each machine and have a script to change the windows in a circle after some time.

My effort in this case was to watch the Youtube AutoIt tutotial (18 parts) - not bad, but haven't found a hint for my issue.

Glad to hear that AIT is capable to do this. Some hints would be helpful. Or maybe the whole script,  I guess the code will hardly contain more than 10 rows.

I can create reciprocally an excel macro if somebody needs - here in the Czech Republic I was quite an active contributor into the Excel forum

Red but still haven't moved further. Don't know how can I find out the window titles? The definition link does not helped much either - just like the examples.

Would it be possible to identify the windows using a index number? What is the syntax?

Where is the problem? With Winlist you can get the handles from all Windows. With this little

#include <Array.au3>
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2) ;1=start, 2=subStr, 3=exact, 4=advanced, -1 to -4=Nocase

$aWL=WinList('Firefox')
_ArrayDisplay($aWL)

you get all Windows with Firefox in title. With the hwnd (displayed in Col 1) yo can activate a window by using WinActivate. This script 

#include <Array.au3>
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2) ;1=start, 2=subStr, 3=exact, 4=advanced, -1 to -4=Nocase

$aWL=WinList('Firefox')
_ArrayDisplay($aWL)

for $i=1 to $aWL[0][0]
    WinActivate($aWL[$i][1])
    MsgBox(16,'Just activated',$aWL[$i][0])
Next

shows activates all windows with Firefox in title in a loop. After a window is shown you have to click the MsgBox before next window get activated.

Edited by AutoBert

@Milan158,

welcome to AutoIt and to the forum!

adding to what @AutoBert said: the script will exit after activating each window one time. you need to wrap the entire thing in a loop - and make the WinList() the first operation in the loop, so when you close or open new window, the list will be updated. so, when you remove the _ArrayDisplay() and MsgBox() which are used to demonstrate what you get, put a better criteria to detect the Firefox browser windows, and add the sleep, you get:

P.S. for your first visit, consider yourself welcomed with a complete working script. don't expect that as a habit; next time, you are expected to show some effort on your own before posting :-)

While True
    $aWL = WinList(" - Mozilla Firefox")
    For $i = 1 To $aWL[0][0]
        WinActivate($aWL[$i][1])
        Sleep(30000)
    Next
WEnd

Edited by orbs

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

@orbs: If you are already presenting the solution, also using the Silver Tablet and put the bill Discreet bib.  :)(translated with Google-Api for testing)

@Milan158: If you want a key for terminating:

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "Terminate")

While True
    For $i = 1 To $aWL[0][0]
        WinActivate($aWL[$i][1])
        Sleep(30000)
    Next
WEnd

Func Terminate()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>Terminate

Many thanks and very appreciated!

Heureka it works !  The windows didn't change regularly though - some of them were displayed twice loner then the interval. Then I put the WinList before the loop and now it works as desired - of course without the updating luxury of # windows.

I have to retrospectivelly study the syntax used in this environment. Spent more than hour looking for AutoIT manual or book in my native language but haven't found anything in Computerpress etc. No forum, nothing. Strange.

Before I will be able to utilize the help, I need some "human" guidance. Could u recommend me a good manual, please ?

Thanks again!

I build in to update the WinList by F8:

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "Terminate")     ;ESC terminates the script
HotKeySet("{F8}", "Restart")        ;F8 causes an Update of the FF-windows in max. 30 sec.  

While True
    For $i = 1 To $aWL[0][0]
        If Not IsArray($aWL) Then ExitLoop  ;Restarted
        if WinActivate($aWL[$i][1]) Then    ;only in existing windows 
            Sleep(30000)
        Else    ;window is closed meanwhile
            ContinueLoop
        EndIf
    Next
    ;ConsoleWrite('Winlist Update'&@CRLF)
WEnd

Func Restart()
    $aWL='' 
    ;ConsoleWrite('Restarted'&@CRLF)
EndFunc

Func Terminate()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>Terminate

the codehiglighting seems to be damaged.

Edited by AutoBert

12 hours ago, Milan158 said:

I have to retrospectivelly study the syntax used in this environment.

that's why you were given the code, it's quite simple and demonstrates common practices and abilities of AutoIt. use it to learn it.

12 hours ago, Milan158 said:

Spent more than hour looking for AutoIT manual or book in my native language but haven't found anything in Computerpress etc. No forum, nothing. Strange.

don't look up programming books for AutoIt in any language other than English. the greatness of AutoIt, to my taste, is that it is written in English, not in Computerish, like other languages. it makes it very easy to learn and apply.

and... no forum? really? :)

@AutoBert,

10 hours ago, AutoBert said:

If Not IsArray($aWL) Then ExitLoop  ;Restarted or no FF-wondows

note that if no windows found, WinList still returns an array, although an empty one. an indicator that no windows found would be if $aWL[0][0]=0.

also, you are calling WinList twice - once before everything begins, and one at the end of each pass. wouldn't it be more correct to call it once at the beginning of each pass (i.e. right after the While True line)?

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

43 minutes ago, orbs said:

really? :)

@AutoBert,

11 hours ago, AutoBert said:

If Not IsArray($aWL) Then ExitLoop  ;Restarted or no FF-wondows

note that if no windows found, WinList still returns an array, although an empty one. an indicator that no windows found would be if $aWL[0][0]=0.

this inserted Func: 

Func Restart()
    $aWL='' 
    ;ConsoleWrite('Restarted'&@CRLF)
EndFunc

is used for error producing this error if user clicks F8. And after the For...Next loop is exited i populate $aWL again.

But you are right: my comment for this line is wrong, just edited.

Edited by AutoBert

The intervals were not equal,  some windows appear twice (or even 3 times) longer.  Had to remove the WinList from the loop. The the F8 functionality is lost, but it is not a problem. Seems like an easy thing but is not.

When I change the string from  - Mozilla Firefox into - Internet Explorer, then the behavior is strange: new empty Tabs are added into the IE... 

Wanted to add: I can explain why some windows appeared twice - after the array was refreshed again in random order, it could happen the same window pop up again. But this does not explain why it happened 3 times in a row. No doubt, I have witnessed it.  Mystery...

@Milan158,

would you mind posting the code you are currently using? to make sure we are all on the same page here.

if you are so anxious to solve the "mystery", you can add some logging to the script. but if you keep closing and opening Firefox windows, then irregularities are expected; if you are not, then (when you are at a stable state) irregularities should not happen anyways. so is this really necessary?

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps: