So I have been looking into this for some time and I have not found any good answers...

I would like to connect to some switches at work via telnet. I need to connect to them then check if any are err-disabled if so I then need to send the commands to enable them.

Normal way we connect to do this manually

In a command prompt

telnet <switchname>

<username>
<password>

show int status

to clear a locked port

clear port-security all
config t
int <port>
shut
no shut
end
show int status
wr mem

now I am fine if I have to make many connections to the switch as long as I can get it to get me my information

Any help will be great.

And please don't just say go search it, give me sample code and I will do the rest thanks

#RequireAdmin
_Wow64FsRedirection(False)
Run("C:\Windows\System32\telnet.exe")
_Wow64FsRedirection(True)
Func _Wow64FsRedirection($state)
    ; Disables or reverts the filesystem redirector for a 32 bit process running on 64bit OS
    If Not @AutoItX64 And @OSArch = 'X64' Then
        If $state Then
            DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "Wow64RevertWow64FsRedirection", "int", 0)
        Else
            DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection", "int", 0); or 1 as per help
        EndIf
        If @error Then Return SetError(1)
    EndIf
EndFunc
WinWait("[CLASS:ConsoleWindowClass]")
WinActivate("[CLASS:ConsoleWindowClass]")
WinWaitActive("[CLASS:ConsoleWindowClass]")
Send("open 192.168.2.1{enter}")

;Send("quit{enter}")

^^ Thats great, but how can I read the information so I can automated looking for the err-disabled port. Also I would love to run this in the background so I can just push the information out to the user/admin letting them know that there is an error and if they want it unlocked.. If they do then I want it to know to go in and unlock the port

Hi.

I'd like to recommend to use PuTTY, so that your communication is encrypted (SSH) rather than plain text (telnet.exe)

$Output=""

$PIDRun($Putty & $Params,$WD,@SW_HIDE,$STDERR_MERGED)

$SearchForString="Your Password Please"
$MyPwd="TotallyTopSecret*1234"
$PwAnswerNotDone=True

while ProcessExists($PIDRun)
    $Output&=StdoutRead($PIDRun)
    ToolTip($Output)
    if (StringRight($Output,StringLen($SearchForString))=$SearchForString) and $PwAnswerNotDone then ; the switch is waiting for your password
        StdinWrite($PIDRun,$MyPwd & @CRLF)
        $PwAnwerNotDone=False
    EndIf
    ; do more stuff
WEnd

REgards, Rudi.

Note: That example code is not tested at all, copy/shake/paste from another script I use to do SCP backups of the switches running-confg

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

Or you can use the native TCP functions which are built into AutoIt! TCP functions are just like telnet for AutoIt :o! Except that you use TCPSend instead of pressing enter ;).

The greatest example is interacting with a IRC Server, you can do it in both Telnet and in AutoIt via the TCP functions. You can check my IRC UDF which does that:

Good luck, TD :D.

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

6 hours ago, rudi said:

Hi.

I'd like to recommend to use PuTTY, so that your communication is encrypted (SSH) rather than plain text (telnet.exe)

These are switches and we have not implemented SSH on all of our switches

4 hours ago, TheDcoder said:

Or you can use the native TCP functions which are built into AutoIt! TCP functions are just like telnet for AutoIt :o! Except that you use TCPSend instead of pressing enter ;).

The greatest example is interacting with a IRC Server, you can do it in both Telnet and in AutoIt via the TCP functions. You can check my IRC UDF which does that

Good luck, TD :D.

Thanks for the code I'll see if I can make it work

Just now, eagle4life69 said:

Could you give me a starter code so I can connect to via telnet and how I can read back any response sent from that connection?

Ok, I will write some starter code for you :D. Give me some time and I will post it here :).

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

Here is a basic TCP usage example:

Global Const $SERVER = "" ; IP or Address of the server
Global Const $SERVER_IP = TCPNameToIP($SERVER)
Global Const $PORT = 0 ; Port of the server to connect

Global $iSocket = TCPConnect($SERVER_IP, $PORT) ; Do not change this

TCPSend($iSocket, "") ; Use TCPSend to send commands

Global $vData ; Recived Data is stored in this variable
While 1 ; This is a infinite loop which recives data from the server
    $vData = TCPRecv($iSocket, 100) ; Recive the data (only the first 100 bytes will be recived!)
    If Not $vData = "" Then ConsoleWrite($vData) ; Write the data to the Console Output
    Sleep(10) ; Rest the CPU a little
WEnd

The code is very basic and might require some modifications to work with your situation... I only made the basic because I don't know what protocol you are trying to automate :unsure:.

Use the above code as a base :), Let me know if it works :D.

So using telnet on port 23, is there anyway to view what the connection is receiving so I can see whats going on? Normal Connection goes

telnet <server>
it then opens the server and asks for the username I answer it and press enter it then asks for password and I enter it and press enter

I then can type the commands in my OP... I need to know if it is accepting my credintials

Now that I know that you are trying to automate the Telnet protocol (note: Telnet protocol is not the same as telnet.exe which you use in command prompt!), I have looked into the Specifications (or Documentation) of it, RFC 854.

After reading the basics, its a fairly complicated protocol to automate! (even for me). It would require a basic framework made in AutoIt to automate it... That would take some time to make... unfortunately I don't have that free time :(.

Your best option now is to follow @youtuber's example as it directly interacts with Command Prompt :D. Sorry for letting you down here.

Good luck, TD :)

On 3.6.2016 at 4:38 PM, eagle4life69 said:

These are switches and we have not implemented SSH on all of our switches

Thanks for the code I'll see if I can make it work

Hi.

Hoping I caught all the required lines from our template to enable encrypted communication for Cisco Switches:

crypto key generate rsa

line con 0
 exec-timeout 0 0
line vty 0 4
 exec-timeout 0 0
 len 80
 transport input ssh
line vty 5 15
 transport input ssh
 exec-timeout 60 0
 len 80
 transport input ssh

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

• 2 weeks later...

since it seems that it is actually pretty hard to hook into telnet exactly. How can I send and receive info to a command prompt. If I could somehow send the commands needed in a command prompt and read what it says wouldn't that be easier to program. And if so then could I hide the command prompt window and still interact with it?