New Mynotes

Guest rathore

Guest rathore

MyNotes

- Add annotations to files -

( The Annotations are remembered even when files are renamed/moved/modified !)

Posted Image

(Here's a screenshot showing a file note)

Ver. 2.1 released... its a major update!

Changes:

=======

->Now for a .Zip file, the search for an attached note goes like this (in order of preference, if not successful next in order is used) :

- Based on contents

- Based on file path

- Contents of 'file_id.diz' file inside the .zip file

- Contents of 'Readme.txt' file inside the .zip file

->If the first two are not found and any of the last two is found then the MyNotes database is automatically updated by the note of that file (first 200 characters only, to prevent flooding). This way next time you can search the description of that file too, without having actually written a note for that file!

(while reading notes from the last two sources the extended ASCII characters that are not normally displayed are stripped to improve visibility)

->The Search function is much improved, now search terms are not required to be entered exactly as they occur in notes.

->To exit MyNotes press Ctrl+Alt+Win+Y

->Fixed: Now only single instance of MyNotes can be run.

->Fixed: Empty search string used to display all notes, now it cancels search.

Note: If the .zip file has a folder structure, and 'file_id.diz' or 'Readme.txt' are not in root, then they will not be read.

(Remember that notes read from readme file etc. depend on what's written at the beginning of the file by the creator, it might even be utter nonsense)

* v2.0

MyNotes now remembers your notes even if you change the contents of the file. It works like this:

Location / Name Changed -> Notes stay

Contents Changed -> Notes stay

Location / Name AND Contents Changed -> Taken as a new file

* Option to delete note of a non-existent file added in search results.

*Running with ' /Clear' command line parameter clears the database of all notes referring to non-existent files. Original database is backed up.

* Running with ' /Uninstall' command line parameter removes MyNotes registry entries.

* Added a Ver 1.x to Ver 2.0 Converter for Old MyNotes.ini

* While adding a note to a file which already has a note, the earlier note appears as editable text in the note input window.

* Many more touches here 'n' there which now I don't remember

(Your old MyNotes.ini (from v1.x) won't work with v2.0. I've coded a little convertor tool which will backup and then convert your old MyNotes.ini to the new format. Just run MyNotesConv.exe in the folder containing Old MyNotes.ini file. RUN IT ONCE ONLY!!!)

Main Features:

=============

->Even if you rename the file or move it to a different folder or drive or change its contents MyNotes will still recognise it!!

It works like this:

Location / Name Changed -> Notes stay

Contents Changed -> Notes stay

Location / Name AND Contents Changed -> Taken as a new file

->Search Feature: just press Ctrl+Alt+Y to search the notes.

->(Only for a .Zip file) the search for an attached note goes like this (in order of preference, if not successful next in order is used) :

- Based on contents

- Based on file path

- Contents of 'file_id.diz' file inside the .zip file

- Contents of 'Readme.txt' file inside the .zip file

If the first two are not found and any of the last two is found then the MyNotes database is automatically updated by the note (first 200 characters only, to prevent flooding) of that file. Thus, making it available for search the next time you want to find that file.

(while reading notes from the last two sources the extended ASCII characters that are not normally displayed are stripped to improve visibility)

->Shows your notes using Non-Obtrusive TrayTips.

->You can attach notes to files on Read-Only media like CD-ROMs.

->As the notes are centrally located and stored in a simple text file, they are easy to backup.

Download Page

as always:

Bug reports are welcome.

Suggestions are welcome

Thanx. Do tell me if you like it! :whistle:

Edited by rathore

Guest rathore

...A suggestion that I was mention to you.(Before)

Now, I need download the MD5 file...

i'm very sorry but i don't remember that suggestion... anyways, its there now! :whistle:

and u don't need to download the MD5 file, it'll be extracted from the main exe during its first run!

now something important:

I am toying with the idea that to extend the capability of MyNotes i might add this feature:

If no note is found for a file, and the file is a .zip file, then MyNotes will look for a "file_id.diz" file in it and if found, display its contents instead.

I've not started working on this...and don't even know if i'll, but if somebody thinks that it'd b a nice addition then let me know... this might boost its priority!

I know it is a nonsense saying it now... but I made too a clone of your program, since I dislike the ballons I used tooltips and I changed the way to adds comment to avoid any registry usage.

But I lost everything in my gone SCRIPTS folder as you may have read in the Chat section of the forum... B)

Btw, is your script GNU or I cant use your line? In my dead file I never copied any of your codes, but I could?

I had problem making the possibility of clean the database from the no more existent file. How did you do that?

Anyway, I would never think a such great idea without you, thanks! :whistle:

Guest rathore

is your script GNU or I cant use your line? In my dead file I never copied any of your codes, but I could?

yes u can...

but why bother? i've a few suggestions:

make mods to this script, like if u prefer tooltips, then during installation give the user an option to select from tooltips & traytips. (i prefer traytip coz tooltips cover a part of the window in use)

and i'd like to know more about ur script ... like what were the main parts where it differed... if u feel likewise then we can both make this script better... instead of making two!

and i'd like to know more about ur script ... like what were the main parts where it differed... if u feel likewise then we can both make this script better... instead of making two!

I put the tooltip in the coordinates @desktopwidth /3,0 that is a place where nothig usually is. (it is the blank part of the title bars.) and checking the @sec macro I made the tool tip disappear after 10 seconds.

Also I made a tooltip that says "Hashing" when a md5 operation was performed since some big file are quite long...

I had the idea of starting the hashing with the start command that in WXP/2000 let you select the windows title and let the user add comments WHILE the md5.exe is still hashing. Of coursebefore modify the .ini there is to check if the "your title windows" still exist.

This is not avaiable in W98 systems, but it is also true that the multitasking of W98 is so bad that it is better avoid this...

An other difference was that I used a hotkey to call a open file dialog (you may also see my post about opendialog window put topmost... ) where the user can select one or more files.

If he select one file, he will put a comment. If she selects more than one files he'll have chance to select if give the same comment to all files or comment them one by one. I remember the dialog

Do you want I give the same comment to all this files :

(list)

YES NO(default)

About cleaning the .ini file of old entries I thought that you can md5 all the files of the hard disk and check, but it is far too much time consuming so I didnt made this...

Thanks for the kind answer. I was afraid that you attack me as a loser that copies others scripts and clain them hims...

Also... The version I wanted to share with the internet was nearly ready and I wanted to call it "HimsNotes"... :whistle: Really!

Guest rathore

Thanks for the kind answer. I was afraid that you attack me as a loser that copies others scripts and clain them hims...

it'd do no good.. u wud still do it if u feel like it ... rather it'd just start a flame war between us... childish...i'd say!! (u might remember the way i'd coolly reacted in my post on foolproof internet detection, when some wise guys had commented oddly)

though i'd like it if u give credits where u feel i deserve it... but that's still up to u.

Also... The version I wanted to share with the internet was nearly ready and I wanted to call it "HimsNotes"...  Really!

yeah i too have this on my mind... but there r time constraints that're delaying things.

Guest rathore

the source script is not included in the .zip file download. that's bcoz the script is much more complex now and i want to add comments to it. though if someone wants it as it is, then i can mail it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rathore

er, dizzy i'm sorry but due to my PM inbox being full i cudn't save ur last message which had ur email id (or maybe i messed up something else). i've made some space in my inbox now so if u still need the mynotes source script then either make a post here or send me a PM giving ur mail id.

• 2 weeks later...

As a newbe to .au3 scripting, i've tried some non-trivial scripting.

I think, it would make a lot of sense for people like me to have the posibility to study also code or code snippets of more complex scripts or applications written by experienced programmers.

I'll be glad to read at least some more advanced script code from your application, if that is possible, of course.

Thanks,

hshds

Guest rathore

I've a very bad habit of not commenting my code... so if the non-commented code will help u then i've no qualms giving it. I'm asking this just coz I myself can't understand other's non-commented code!